Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My First Powerlifting Meet

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Is this true? I've never heard of this before. This type of thing interests me.

When squats are feeling heavy i'll sometimes load up the bar with more weight than I plan on squatting and just stand with it for about 10 seconds, then take the weight back down to my workset. In an attempt to trick my body into thinking it is lighter than it is.
    been to a lot of powerlift meets, trained with some very good guys, and never seen anyone do what Iron is suggesting....

heavy walk outs are standard practise, as are heavy quarter squats, there a good way to get used to as heavier weights and to mentally make you strong

Traininng

I started power lifting 2 years ago. I fortunately have a world class coach. Working on form having a strategy for strength is essentail. I have posted some of his interviews on the forum here. Some good books Rippetoes starting strength and Marty Galagher's Purposley Primative. Great stories and stategies in both books

Don

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Is this true? I've never heard of this before. This type of thing interests me.

When squats are feeling heavy i'll sometimes load up the bar with more weight than I plan on squatting and just stand with it for about 10 seconds, then take the weight back down to my workset. In an attempt to trick my body into thinking it is lighter than it is.
    That's a good one, too.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Hey when do you guys do the heavy static holds? Like just before the big set?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Great job!! You and Scott R. Brown should start your own club.

Scott R Brown

Where is he located?

No idea where he is, try sending him a private message. just saying you two are both 52 i think and have impressive strength, something i strive to have as i get older.

A lot of my concerns are really in my go. When I was beginning out, I was quickly developing. One day to be able to hit a PR I jerked 375 and almost ripped my bicep. After that, whenever I get a little bodyweight on the bar I get troubled and all the veggie juice just simply leaves me. No wind flow in the sails! Any way this occurrence really assisted my go in that respect.

Reginald

Good luck with your go!

Cool Don.

Yeah, Mark is the single biggest influence on my training.

Are you a regular over on his boards? I am.

If you look in the Ends and Pieces section you'll find my thread. Can't miss it. It's the biggest one on there. Mostly about stupid stuff you see at the gym, lol.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb