Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Powerlifting Meet

My First Powerlifting Meet

I attended a raw meet today, no Wraps or Belts, just me, Iron and lots of Gravity.
    I am 52 and Weigh 207, I squatted for 415. Missed third attempt on the bench at 280 after a very strong 2nd for 260. Dl was good for me, succesful third attempt at 420.

Don Berry

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    grats. good work.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Not bad at all nice work.
    Go hard or go home or some where else up to you

http://therandomandthefit.blogspot.com.au/

Good work for stepping up

Bonus points for competing raw.

How tall are you?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

well done, nice numbers especially on the squat!

height

5'8". The DL is just totaly alluding me.

Quote Originally Posted by donbdc View Post
    5'8". The DL is just totaly alluding me.
    i feel your pain mine wont go over 440 for love nor money, its the hardest lift to get increases on by far

The DL

A lot of my issues are really in my head. When I was starting out, I was rapidly progressing. One morning in order to hit a PR I jerked 375 and almost tore my bicep. After that, every time I get a little weight on the bar I get anxious and all the juice just leaves me. No wind in the sails! Any way this event really helped my head in that regard. Hell the woman were pulling 375!
    And to toot my own horn a little that squat in this federation was a National record!
    For my AGE of course!
    Don

A lot of my issues are really in my head. When I was starting out, I was rapidly progressing. One morning in order to hit a PR I jerked 375 and almost tore my bicep. After that, every time I get a little weight on the bar I get anxious and all the juice just leaves me. No wind in the sails! Any way this event really helped my head in that regard. Hell the woman were pulling 375!
    And to toot my own horn a little that squat in this federation was a National record!
    For my AGE of course!
    Don
    its a nice squat for any age
    DL gets in your head, with me 440 ruips of the floor easily, anything more and i cant see myself lifting it, s*cks

I have more issues with squats then DL's and since I am short limbed, you'd think it would be the other way around BUT with a bad left knee and having it go on me once with 385 on the bar, well....need I say more?
    Head games suck but are a HUGE part of PL and OL.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

congratulations man. i hope i will be as strong as you some day.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Knee

I tell you as we age and continue to strength train and do Martial Arts it is so important to have good coaches and good health care providers that understand our insanity. AS a Chiro that specializes in sports med and rehab, I would be more than happy Sanjuro to find a good PT or DC to help you out.
    Thanks for your support guys
    Don

After that, every time I get a little weight on the bar I get anxious and all the juice just leaves me. No wind in the sails!
    Always err on the side of using too light of weights. In other words, if your previous PR was 350, and you are feeling awesome like you can easily get 385 this time, it's still probably best to go for 360 or so, and then wait 5-10 minutes and do 370x1, etc. Sometimes it's possible to lift more weight than your body can lift... and get injured in the process.

That being said, before a big attempt, or before a weight that "feels" big in your head, close your eyes and stand on one foot for a few seconds. The instability triggers some reflex that will temporarily let you lift a little more weight. Most people cannot balance on one foot with their eyes closed, so don't be surprised if you lose your balance after a few seconds. You're not going for time, you just want the CNS stimulation. A few seconds is fine.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Nice.

I'm 26 and you're stronger than me by far. How long have you been training?

Also, your squat is ridiculous.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    That being said, before a big attempt, or before a weight that "feels" big in your head, close your eyes and stand on one foot for a few seconds. The instability triggers some reflex that will temporarily let you lift a little more weight. Most people cannot balance on one foot with their eyes closed, so don't be surprised if you lose your balance after a few seconds. You're not going for time, you just want the CNS stimulation. A few seconds is fine.
    Is this true? I've never heard of this before. This type of thing interests me.

When squats are feeling heavy i'll sometimes load up the bar with more weight than I plan on squatting and just stand with it for about 10 seconds, then take the weight back down to my workset. In an attempt to trick my body into thinking it is lighter than it is.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb