Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Drawing the Wing Chun Blades

Quote Originally Posted by trubblman View Post
    Keep in mind, he included drawing. I believe I can draw and close before he gets his out. Also I am basing my opinion on what I have seen how people used BJDs, not very impressive, even those who purport to be masters.
    Ok, I get the drawing part. You'd probably be faster with a shorter blade. Also, there are some good BJD people.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

My opinion of blade work as it translates to hand:
    Hand goes to blade NOT blade goes to hand.
    Yes I know this tends to go against what we are taught in WC and most certainly in Kali and other FMA BUT from MY EXPERIENCE:
    Taking how you fight empty handed and adding a blade works better than taking how the typical blade guy fights and using that in empty hands.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Care to share a clip of your drawing method?

If you will I will too
    I ll put one up on you tube.

VT Knives add another forearm of length to distances. We are able to attack from a greater distance to the nearest target with the nearest edge. We can cover greater distances to penetrate defenses and equally move away from wild sword swings at us while combining defensive measures.
    Some systems adopted the greater distances for blindside fighting as knives show, but loose the distances for bare hands. Sure a fist/finger may reach but it wont do it with the SLT elbow ideas. So no lin sil di da with the leading arm alone, always two hands fighting one aka control hit. This control hit puts you at a disadvantage because you're compelled to chase/ block an arm to make a punch. Reacting, rather than utilization of striking attacks that also defend, one leading arm at a time, allowing attacking with strikes that cut across intercepting lines of defense , etc...
    Subtle but HUGE in terms of speed fighting, you become empowered to strike a guy with two arms and move and angle to dominate them, rather than block n hit as they wail in with two hands. Iow you are empowered to make them the reactors.

In regards to 'drawing' a blade faster, etc... a simple scabbard customization will make a drawing 'up' redundant. A trick guys did for six shooter fast draws was to cut away the leading edge of the holster leaving only a small amount to keep the barrel tip seated. The masters of the quickdraw then only had to 'tilt' the gun from a holster at the target , not draw it up and out, then acquire the target.....very simple custom that made the draw instant. Combat version of BCD isnt hard to imagine.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 04-23-2012 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    My opinion of blade work as it translates to hand:
    Hand goes to blade NOT blade goes to hand.
    Yes I know this tends to go against what we are taught in WC and most certainly in Kali and other FMA BUT from MY EXPERIENCE:
    Taking how you fight empty handed and adding a blade works better than taking how the typical blade guy fights and using that in empty hands.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Good points Sanjuro BUT WC and FMA are exactly opposite on hand/blade relationships.
    In WC you first need to have control over the body and the hands- otherwise the weapon can control uou.

joy chaudhuri

True the elbow/body unity ideas need to be solid or errors of knives added to early will detract from development. Plus the differences in footwork.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 04-23-2012 at 07:27 AM.

Not that I aint enjoying the conversations gents, but has anybody actually answered my questions?

... was there any time that you learnt:

1. How to defend your own blades? (ie. to stop them being taken from you)

2. How to draw your knives? (ie. using a sheath/scabbard)
    Ths is really addresing those that have only practisd the form from Ip Man, as there tends to be no opening set or scabbard use. I find this strange because most decent knife sellers sell a scabbard with the blades

Every demo I have ever seen already has the knives 'drawn', mainly held over the shoulder like some kind of farmer, then a lifting leg work before separating the blades, double chop and away they go!

Has anyone here actually got a clip of ANY demo of themselves using their knives? And if you have, are you willing to share just a little?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Not that I aint enjoying the conversations gents, but has anybody actually answered my questions?

Ths is really addresing those that have only practisd the form from Ip Man, as there tends to be no opening set or scabbard use. I find this strange because most decent knife sellers sell a scabbard with the blades

Every demo I have ever seen already has the knives 'drawn', mainly held over the shoulder like some kind of farmer, then a lifting leg work before separating the blades, double chop and away they go!

Has anyone here actually got a clip of ANY demo of themselves using their knives? And if you have, are you willing to share just a little?
    A valid question but the reason you see most forms start with the drawn knives is because that is how it starts.
    The whole "draw/kill" that is present in some systems ( most notably Kenjutsu) is NOT the prevalent in TCMA, at least not from what I have seen in forms.

Of course, just like it was one of the "secret" teaching in kenjutsu, perhaps that is so in Chinese fencing too.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm2_G6DXYtQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tujQ1XUVWsI
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Fer Gawd sakes, somebody draw! The heat's killin us an Ah only gots a half hour fer lunch
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

I find it interesting that someones simple clip of knife defence be ridiculed when there is very little evidence porduced by anyone here that they know what they're doing with our beloved 'Wing Chun' blades.

So, I would like to ask all of you a very simple question...

If you have been lucky enough to learn first-hand any knife work from your Wing Chun Sifu, whether that be basic drills or the whole of Ip Mans Eight Chopping Knife set, was there any time that you learnt:

1. How to defend your own blades? (ie. to stop them being taken from you)

2. How to draw your knives? (ie. using a sheath/scabbard)

I think it would be an eye-opener for all of us to really see who has gone to such lengths in their training, because as much as I knoww I can ramble on for England about many thing,s I have been a lover of weaponry snce I was a child and I find it heart breaking to think that our 2 weapons are being lost because we either choose not to train them because of our personal beliefs and direction in life, or we simply have never been taught in the first place!!

Time to step up gents, and ladies if there are any!!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Re #1. First you have to hold them right. Then you have to understand the role of the joints in connection with that hold. You have to understand your balance and your footwork and line control.
    Among other things- what is the big deal. Of course, you are going to tell me that Lee Shing learned the bjd from Ip man himself... because Ip man gave him a pair of knives etc/

#2 Draw your knives? In the wild wild west/east? The knives should be in your hands already. You are making a point of some sort about drawing the knives,,what is your point? Most scabbards sold these days are pretty bad. If you want to work on "drawing" (?) have them custom made.

joy chaudhuri

Among other things- what is the big deal.
    Exactly. Another storm in a teacup. Someone from Britain has a chip on his shoulder.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    A valid question but the reason you see most forms start with the drawn knives is because that is how it starts.
    The whole "draw/kill" that is present in some systems ( most notably Kenjutsu) is NOT the prevalent in TCMA, at least not from what I have seen in forms.

Of course, just like it was one of the "secret" teaching in kenjutsu, perhaps that is so in Chinese fencing too.
    Not that I am yet an authority on all Chinese bladework, but from what I have trained and researched, "drawing the sword" has a far different meaning in Chinese sword work than the gun slinging type of definition seen in the Japanese sword styles.

Haven't even touched the WC weapons from HFY yet, looking forward to if there's commonalities in it to the broadsword work I've experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    Not that I am yet an authority on all Chinese bladework, but from what I have trained and researched, "drawing the sword" has a far different meaning in Chinese sword work than the gun slinging type of definition seen in the Japanese sword styles.

Haven't even touched the WC weapons from HFY yet, looking forward to if there's commonalities in it to the broadsword work I've experienced.
    Baat Jam Dao Iaido...that's actually starting to sound pretty cool...elegant

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post

Quick question, my friend. Does HFY VT have luk dim bow kwun? Do U guys have any weapons not typical of th HK scene?