Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Drawing the Wing Chun Blades

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Actually the hand positions are relative to the gate covered. I have a clip some of me using a mid level tan.
    Do you have a link or name of the clip? (I generally like your stuff, although it's a bit different than what I do.) But that's not the impression I got from what you were saying in your knife basics video:

"I know some of you have seen the taan down here, but humans learn movement through muscle movement and repetition to create a neurological pathway.... So if you train up here, that's where people are gonna be throwing a punch at you.... So why train it down here when people are gonna attack you up there?"

Then to strengthen your position you use WSL as an example:

"I gotta video of WSL also doing bongsau and taansau on the wooden dummy. His taan's up here, not down there."

So you see how I'm confused by your statement? WSL doesn't do taansau in front of the face in his Siunimtau, so what does that do to your logic here?

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Yes, well at least in the WSLVT system that's not quite what it's about. 90% of what you need in fighting is covered in SNT and CK. According to WSL, the MYJ set is about "recovery".
    I never knew he taught it for this reason. Interesting, but definitely not how I was taught but that's just common these days. We have all had varied influences.

So instead of using SNT & CK, you're going to attack empty handed by pretending to draw blades? o.0
    No comment
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

As for ths tansau debate you pair are getting into, move on please because it is not only boring, unless you want to connect it to weaponry and drawing the blades, well...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    I never knew he taught it for this reason. Interesting, but definitely not how I was taught but that's just common these days. We have all had varied influences.
    Yes, he can be seen in this video here talking about one part of Buiji, then explaining some recovery concepts within the Mukyanjong set.

Recovery begins at the start of the set with the opening move, the neck pull, which is not the object of the move. Because if you can reach the back of someone's neck, you can punch them in the face. It's actually recovering from a missed punch.

He also shows a gaangsau recovery for a wrong bongsau (done against the wrong hand), and a hyunsau recovery for a wrong gaangsau. There are other recovery concepts and principles throughout the set where you are recovering from loss of balance, either when pushed or pulled by the opponent one way or the other. Or just how to bring the hand back up after deflecting a kick. Things like that are what the Mukyanjong is about, at least within WSLVT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX3YYaRjws8

Things like that are what the Mukyanjong is about, at least within WSLVT.
    I can't comment on what WSLs VT is all about, it's a fruitless exercise.

I will say though that my Sigung was very proud of his teacher Ip Man too but he never (ever) went into this sort of debate with anyone. He did however produce the first ever wooden man book with his student Joseph Cheng, so I would say with all honesty that I am confident in my own wooden man practise.

Now, getting back to the blades, I am jut uploading a little clip for fun...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Here it is...

Flystudio - Drawing A Wing Chun Blade
    http://youtu.be/_KcV3V8tfnc

Just a little fun (for once!)

As for defending your blades and scabbard usage, I will not be putting up a clip about that

As for Lee Shings Eight Chopping Knife Set... I will leave that for other elders to share!!
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 04-29-2012 at 09:30 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I can't comment on what WSLs VT is all about, it's a fruitless exercise.
    I know you can't, which is why you shouldn't condescendingly suggest that I haven't learned it from a Sifu. Your unfamiliarity with other concepts is your inexperience, not mine.

I will say though that my Sigung was very proud of his teacher Ip Man too but he never (ever) went into this sort of debate with anyone.
    And what does that mean? This is not the first time you've spoken in a condescending tone in this thread. First you suggested that I must have learned from DVD's because I mentioned training the BJD set, which is silly.

I know you can't, which is why you shouldn't condescendingly suggest that I haven't learned it from a Sifu. Your unfamiliarity with other concepts is your inexperience, not mine.
    Did I say that. No. Am I unfamiliar with WSL stuff. No. Is it a fruitless discussion. FME yes. Nothing condescending intended, you're reading too much into my posts. I was just being quick as I have little time today...

This is not the first time you've spoken in a condescending tone in this thread. First you suggested that I must have learned from DVD's because I mentioned training the BJD set, which is silly.
    ??? Again you are misreading my posts. Others do too, so my apologies if you find my quick words offensive.

And as for the BJD being a set. It is as far as I know. A set originating from Ip Man in his later HK years. He didn't teach the set we all see today in Fatshan according to my research, and other families have totally different sets! I just don't use the word 'form' because if it was, the content would be universal.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Well, excuse me if I did misconstrue your words, but they did seem pretty obvious. You said:

Looking at how you describe what the 'dummy' set is for, have you learnt the set from a Sifu?
    This seems to suggest I haven't or at least question whether or not I've learned the set from a Sifu, because it doesn't fit with what you know.

But then when I clarified my description of the function of the set in WSLVT you said you were unaware that he taught it for that purpose (which I then showed video proof of).

So it seems your unfamiliarity made you question my experience, which is what I found condescending, and ironic considering the inexperience is yours in this case.

This too, in response to my mention of training the BJD set, as if that's all knife training might entail.

I am more interesting in hearing from any one of you who have been 'taught', not those that have learnt from watching DVDs and such.
    So if I did misconstrue your intentions, perhaps at least you can see the cause for confusion.

That's what I love about this forum! Some people just keep on arguing as if you were in the courts or something... weird but true.

LFJ - whoever you are, thank you for your view but now how about talking about if you draw the knife or use any scabbard/knife defense tactics and methods?

And whilst doing that, remember your own words because believe it or not you sound a wee bit condesceding too sometimes, as if WSL was the be all and end all of Wing Chun and whatever he had said in an interview through a translator is Gospel. He was a very simple and honourable man. A fighter and a bragger. This is what he is known and respected for generations down the line.

But times have changed and more older families are coming out and they all have something different to offer. Are they all wrong too because they learnt everything before WSL was even born? Are they better than he could ever be? No. They're simply different... embrace that because I do and have met some great people along the way too.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Flystudio - Drawing A Wing Chun Blade
    http://youtu.be/_KcV3V8tfnc

Just a little fun (for once!)

As for defending your blades and scabbard usage, I will not be putting up a clip about that

As for Lee Shings Eight Chopping Knife Set... I will leave that for other elders to share!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Holy Scaramouche!!

joy c

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Holy Scaramouche!!

joy c
    Know that’s, some real funny sh!t!

Do you have a link or name of the clip? (I generally like your stuff, although it's a bit different than what I do.) But that's not the impression I got from what you were saying in your knife basics video:

"I know some of you have seen the taan down here, but humans learn movement through muscle movement and repetition to create a neurological pathway.... So if you train up here, that's where people are gonna be throwing a punch at you.... So why train it down here when people are gonna attack you up there?"

Then to strengthen your position you use WSL as an example:

"I gotta video of WSL also doing bongsau and taansau on the wooden dummy. His taan's up here, not down there."

So you see how I'm confused by your statement? WSL doesn't do taansau in front of the face in his Siunimtau, so what does that do to your logic here?
    Try Sifu Phillip Redmond Chinatown 4-4-09
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

And whilst doing that, remember your own words because believe it or not you sound a wee bit condesceding too sometimes, as if WSL was the be all and end all of Wing Chun and whatever he had said in an interview through a translator is Gospel. He was a very simple and honourable man. A fighter and a bragger. This is what he is known and respected for generations down the line.

But times have changed and more older families are coming out and they all have something different to offer. Are they all wrong too because they learnt everything before WSL was even born? Are they better than he could ever be? No. They're simply different... embrace that because I do and have met some great people along the way too.
    Actually, I always started with "according to WSL" or "in the WSLVT method", and only brought him up in response to what I saw as a misunderstanding of his method. I never suggested something as condescending as anyone who does differently than him must not have learned from a Sifu.

Also, there you go with another assumption. That I must only be able to understand the translator and am so naive as to take his interpretation as Gospel. I'm fluent in Mandarin and do alright in Cantonese. So I actually understand WSL just fine, and if I ever take his word as Gospel it is the Gospel of WSLVT according to WSL, not of WCK as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Holy Scaramouche!!

joy c
    That brought a tear to my eye too joy...

Thunder bolts & lightning!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術