Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Drawing the Wing Chun Blades

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    ... and if I ever take his word as Gospel it is the Gospel of WSLVT according to WSL, not of WCK as a whole.
    Well said. You see, it's not so hard is it??

Now how about answering my questions 'relating to the thread'... or are we all happy that I am doing something alien to most of you?

Man, because if that is so, I might just put my knives back in their box!!??
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Last chance saloon...

So, getting back on track:

Here's my clip of one method of 'Drawing A Wing Chun Blade'
    http://youtu.be/_KcV3V8tfnc

And here are my questions:

If you have been lucky enough to learn first-hand any knife work from your Wing Chun Sifu, whether that be basic drills or the whole of Ip Mans Eight Chopping Knife set, was there any time that you learnt:

1. How to defend your own blades? (ie. to stop them being taken from you)

2. How to draw your knives? (ie. using a sheath/scabbard)

Any more clips showing this sort of thing would be welcome, especially if you can Draw quicker than I do!!!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Try Sifu Phillip Redmond Chinatown 4-4-09
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg0nSAOpQ8A
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

You're not quite drawing your blade there sir!

Of all the guys that do post clips, maybe you might want to try to draw as I do in my clip Phil and see how you get on? I'm sure it will be familiar to you at least.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Nice clip Spencer. Almost 'shadow-less knife' (mou ying do) it was so hidden and quick.

I get the point about defending your knives from disarm attempts, but I would of question the 'need' for quick drawing of the baat jam do. They are not really everyday weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    You're not quite drawing your blade there sir!

Of all the guys that do post clips, maybe you might want to try to draw as I do in my clip Phil and see how you get on? I'm sure it will be familiar to you at least.
    That clip was in response to the mid level tan question. As to "drawing" the blade it would depend on where you carried them, what sort of scabbard/sheath you used, etc. It not like that blades had a standard wielding mode like a Samurai. Some say blades were carried in boots, behind the back, on the side, under the arm. There are leather cases, wooden cases. All there factors would have to be considered. Once you worked out a perferred method of carrying the knifes then you could start training a "quick draw".
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 04-30-2012 at 10:24 AM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Nice clip Spencer. Almost 'shadow-less knife' (mou ying do) it was so hidden and quick.
    Thanx Chee. It's only a trick of sorts and this was drawn from the left hip as the pair of blades would be carried in the left hand.

I get the point about defending your knives from disarm attempts, but I would of question the 'need' for quick drawing of the baat jam do. They are not really everyday weapons.
    It's not so much a 'need' for it in todays time unless you can appreciate exactly what heigung is being used to be able to go so quick with the arm whilst the body stays steady I know my clip looks quick, but that's not 100%!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

As to "drawing" the blade it would depend on where you carried them, what sort of scabbard/sheath you used, etc. It not like that blades had a standard wielding mode like a Samurai.
    It's interesting you mention the Samurai because from my training of the blades we treated them in a very similar, respectful manner. This is why I was asking if anyone else has had similar experience, and I knew a Military man like yourself may understand the intricacies more.

Some say blades were carried in boots, behind the back, on the side, under the arm. There are leather cases, wooden cases. All there factors would have to be considered. Once you worked out a perferred method of carrying the knifes then you could start training a "quick draw".
    Exactly. You hit the nail on the head.

So, is it something you would want to train or teach? Or do you keep it on the quiet as much as I do?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    It's interesting you mention the Samurai because from my training of the blades we treated them in a very similar, respectful manner. This is why I was asking if anyone else has had similar experience, and I knew a Military man like yourself may understand the intricacies more.

Exactly. You hit the nail on the head.

So, is it something you would want to train or teach? Or do you keep it on the quiet as much as I do?
    I have about 8-9 pair of Do. Some have hard wood cases and some different types of leather. My Cold steel pair have the best case IMO but the knives fit tightly in the case. One problem with a quick draw is that the blades could separate (depending on how they're made), and you wouldn't have a strong grip on both handles. I'm not saying that a quick draw isn't possible. But it'd work better if the knives and the case were initially designed that way. I was shown by one when I was using the wooden case to jerk the case upwards slightly so that the knives would slide upwards. Then quickly grab both knives in one hand while using the case to block as well. So you'd have both knives in one and the case to defend. You could always drop the case and separate the knives into both hands if things got really bad.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

One problem with a quick draw is that the blades could separate (depending on how they're made), and you wouldn't have a strong grip on both handles. I'm not saying that a quick draw isn't possible. But it'd work better if the knives and the case were initially designed that way.
    Very true Phil. A quick draw definitely works better with no scabbard at all, but a single draw like in my clip is designed to return to the scabbard.

The 'energy' I use too is based on the nervous systems reflexes, almost using that infamous inch energy to release the blade

I was shown by one when I was using the wooden case to jerk the case upwards slightly so that the knives would slide upwards.
    And there it is! Inch energy used in a real situation lol! Jerk, catch, draw!!!

There are a number of ways like you describe and thanks for sharing as I know you love your weaponry.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Oh, a question I forgot to ask ... is it one scabbard holding 2 blades? Does that mean your knife handles have a 'D' shape profile so they can be sheathed together?

Spencer, was your quick draw for a single blade?

Oh, a question I forgot to ask ... is it one scabbard holding 2 blades? Does that mean your knife handles have a 'D' shape profile so they can be sheathed together?
    Yes, my blades are Yum Yeurng Wu Dip Dao and fit flush together in the scabbard. D or S depending on the ear design

Spencer, was your quick draw for a single blade?
    Yep! To draw both is a different method.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Yim Wing Chun doesnt draw them herself , idiots we are , she has them given to her from off camera http://youtu.be/bOU9jm0XmEk

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Yim Wing Chun doesnt draw them herself , idiots we are , she has them given to her from off camera http://youtu.be/bOU9jm0XmEk
    Man, you just reminded me of why I have a love/hate relationship with HK movies and especially Michelle Yeoh at that time!!

She really should have stuck to the harder looking stuff of her earlier movies
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh8KnmRvqd0
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 05-03-2012 at 03:39 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術