Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The "Shaolin Guard"

Quote Originally Posted by Subitai View Post
    I like what both Golden Arms said as well as RenDaHai.

IMO, the state of exchange or for that matter that state of Yin / Yang doesn't exist between myself and my opponent untill we get closer or touch in some way. An Attack for example.

So a natural readiness, or not overly tense posture is the order of the day. I think this can vary from person to person...go with the flow.

You don't need to be rooted when you've just begun a face-off.

But no.. as a Hung Gar man I wouldn't present a Kiu Sao like they do in the movies, why would show my bridge before hand? Just react and be natural.
    Hm, very good points, i never thought of it like that. So I'm guessing that you put up the guard right before entering the striking range?

This makes a lot of sense when I think about it from the aspect of sparring in the ring when i was training boxing. My first time around, I pretty much walked in from afar with my guard up and would almost just square up with my opponent. It's wasn't too long till i realized that i was best off taking action once i was in striking range, rather than getting there and thinking of what to do. Not that i was any sort of exceptional boxer, but the pressure of being in the ring def did open my eyes to the guard and how i use it when im either away from or near to my opponent.

and another good point, there probably isn't much reason to show the bridge/kiu before doing anything.
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    'cuz it looks so cool. come on bro. represent!

Shaolin has some crazy classical guard stances in the forms. I'd never use any of them for real... except maybe after my opponent was defeated already, just to add insult to injury.
    Ah, i was actually wondering about this. Are those "crazy classical guard stances" really classified as guards stances? I could never tell if they were actual guard stances or stances that i thought were guard stances simply because i couldn't figure out what else they could be

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    If you get to the point where a guard is a good idea, then your guard should be a 'typical" western boxing one, hands up.
    Any other guard may give clue to your opponent that you actually know how to fight, why lose the element of the unknown and show your intent?
    Yea, that's actually what I do at times now. I haven't done it very often, but when i have, it was w/ my Ving Tsun where I "masked" my kung fu as boxing so that when necessary, the rear hand would become my Wu Sao and the lead hand would be my kiu.

since you also share a similar view on the western boxing guard, i was wondering, do you see the "jab" from this stance as being a "short cross?" This may sound strange, but i mainly ask because the shaolin I know so far mainly consists of punches that would probably be classified as crosses. I always just figured that a jab in accordance with my Shaolin would be like a, i guess, a "lead cross."

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    nice, this is similar to how i keep my stance at times except that my lead hand would be closer to eye level and my body and legs would drop a bit lower and be a bit more slanted. What kinda Kung fu do these guys practice?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    u tellin me this isnt a fighting stance?

lolol, of course it is. I'm guessing the trick is to lure your opponent to your bum and then knock him out when he least expects it Must work wonders in prison lol.

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSpring View Post
    I'm a little confused though in regards to the "hands at the solar plexus" stance/guard. Is that for the purpose of not being tense while not making contact? or is it also considered a good place to keep the arms to respond to an attack?
    They don't need to be in any kind of guard, its just good to keep your hands ready and in the centre and close yourself. Any guard you make prematurely gives away more information in many ways than is desirable, unless you intend to use your guard as a misdirection. Hands in this position don't tire, don't obscure visibility, cannot be captured easily, quick to move high, quick to move low and do not immediately show aggression. An example of this position would be perhaps fiddling with your shirt buttons, or arms folded (except not intertwined). Just not giving anything away, yet ready.

The associated Shaolin principle is 'Quan bu li xin' which means 'your fist doesn't move far from your heart.' If you see some really old school village Kung Fu of Shaolin pai they will hold the fists one on top of the other at the solar plexus and take slow deliberate steps around one another when they begin to fight.

Ah, i was actually wondering about this. Are those "crazy classical guard stances" really classified as guards stances? I could never tell if they were actual guard stances or stances that i thought were guard stances simply because i couldn't figure out what else they could be
    Every shaolin ba, move, technique has 'You Fang, you gong' that is contains both defence and offence. Most are instantaneous movements and not designed to be maintained so there are actually very few you would classify as a guard stance although every stance will contain a guarding movement.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Yea, that's actually what I do at times now. I haven't done it very often, but when i have, it was w/ my Ving Tsun where I "masked" my kung fu as boxing so that when necessary, the rear hand would become my Wu Sao and the lead hand would be my kiu.

since you also share a similar view on the western boxing guard, i was wondering, do you see the "jab" from this stance as being a "short cross?" This may sound strange, but i mainly ask because the shaolin I know so far mainly consists of punches that would probably be classified as crosses. I always just figured that a jab in accordance with my Shaolin would be like a, i guess, a "lead cross."
    I "box" ala Tyson ( suits my Hung kuen to a T) so yes, the jab is more of a "cross".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I "box" ala Tyson ( suits my Hung kuen to a T) so yes, the jab is more of a "cross".
    What you have a habit of biting ears whilst inclose??!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    What you have a habit of biting ears whilst inclose??!!!
    You say that as if it was a bad thing
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

You say that as if it was a bad thing
    Yep sorry Maybe its just a different class of guys we get to fight over here in the UK but I would not want any of their blood in my mouth lol

Now headbutting ala Holyfield v Tyson that I positively endorse, still remember the day I was practising clinch work with my bak mei sifu I was tieing up his hands and looking to knee, he stepped in and headbutted my (in the chest but it made me think)

here watch this mma fight. the guy in the black pants is a shaolin kungfu guy. the other guy torres is no push over hes got a really good record.

depending on who you are fighting your guard will adjust. if you fighting a wrestler or grappler it will differ from a kickboxer or boxer. for instance you'll see him use a pretty standard shaolin defensive guard, slilght side stance, with the lead hand lower to anticipate the shoot to get a underhook quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GtW0a00LCE
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

The kung fu guard is simple: Put your **** hands up.