Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sam Bai Fut...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    We don't use it like a sprawl. Closest thing we have to a sprawl is a 9 point (elbow) guard for the mid gate.

It's a bridge arm training platform, like push hands or chi sao is a platform. Rolling simply implies there's a cyclical sequence to it.
    Ah i see. Man, the HFY ways are so intriguing, at least imo. Not that I want to change schools/sifus, but I do love learning about diff perspectives and opinions, do you have any suggestions besides the blog in your sig (which i actually really enjoy reading) that are good sources for learning about HFY Wing Chun?
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thx. No problem. I dont need the other names. I believe that on You tube you can find Brian Tufts
    doing our biu jee. There is a lot to the details of the form. Regaining the line is one of the functions that practicing the biu jee form makes easier.

joy chaudhuri
    Oh wow, I only got to look at the youtube vid just now, but when i read your post i never imagined we'd have so many differences in our Biu Jees (not that it's a bad thing at all). I def saw some movements that aren't done the same way in my form but are most certainly useful to train. Like the part where Mr. Tuft does the kwai/karp jian (sp?) while taking steps forward without shifting. I also dont have train the kicks at the end in my Biu Jee form, and our sam bai futs are diff too. Def gave me a lot of food for thought. Tyvm!
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSpring View Post
    Nice, yea I've heard of the form from Weng Chun. This probably deserves it's own thread, but are Weng Chun and Ving Tsun considered to be similar or do the practitioners claim that they're two very different arts?
    I would say at some point in history it was connected but what you see today is quite distinctive. We have Fa Kuen, Sap Yat Kuen, Saam Pai Fut, 3 forms of Mok Yan Chong, Jong Kuen, Long Pole and Fu Mo Wu Dip Dao.

We have also differences among our surviving families in the issue of Shen Fa/Ging Fut. For example our Lo Family focuses a lot more on generating power from the hole body through "bowing". Other families do not focus on this issue that much.

I mean, i do see similarities in the video, but i was wondering if it's similar in application of the techniques. Is the Sam Bai Fut in Weng Chun a form that is learned later on like in Yip Man Ving Tsun?
    I have praticed different Yip Man versions and then Siu Lam Weng Chun from Lo Family. Its a different thing. Its more like a Southern Shaolin Soft Fist. We do not focus only on centerline and have a lot of spiral movements. Following by that we also have a different bodystructure and a different fighting demanour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwoTOT9BHP0

Kind regards,
    Xian

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSpring View Post
    Ah i see. Man, the HFY ways are so intriguing, at least imo. Not that I want to change schools/sifus, but I do love learning about diff perspectives and opinions, do you have any suggestions besides the blog in your sig (which i actually really enjoy reading) that are good sources for learning about HFY Wing Chun?
    My first WC teacher co-wrote a book about Wing Chun called "Mastering Kung Fu." Unfortunately, the book had a lot of the political bent driven by the VTM behind it's views on history and some of the assertions it drew. If you're willing to look past some of that, there's still a lot of good Hung Fa Yi material in there.

Right now the HFY Family as an organization are readying a lot more videos and such on youtube. I'll try and keep the blog updated with more info regularly (right now I'm the only author) but we'll see what type of schedule I can keep up with time constraints.

Not sure where you live, maybe you'll be able to attend a workshop one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    My first WC teacher co-wrote a book about Wing Chun called "Mastering Kung Fu." Unfortunately, the book had a lot of the political bent driven by the VTM behind it's views on history and some of the assertions it drew. If you're willing to look past some of that, there's still a lot of good Hung Fa Yi material in there.
    And if you're not? Just kidding

Actually I'll endorse the MKF book as well. I think the slant on history was probably offensive to about 99% of the WCK community, but that's mostly just in the first part of the book. If you look through especially the second half it actually lines out some great fundamentals, terms, training methods of HFY.

Right now the HFY Family as an organization are readying a lot more videos and such on youtube. I'll try and keep the blog updated with more info regularly (right now I'm the only author) but we'll see what type of schedule I can keep up with time constraints.

Not sure where you live, maybe you'll be able to attend a workshop one day.
    Eric's blog has really good content - worth looking over, IMO.