Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ˇWing Chun in Japan!

Smile ˇWing Chun in Japan!

I'm TPanda from the US, currently residing in Tokyo, Japan.
    http://brianh608.wix.com/wingchunjapan
    I am a practitioner of Wing Chun, meditation, and studying Traditional Chinese Science.

I'd just like to know if there are any people out here in Japan and your thoughts about Wing Chuns future in Japan, as it seemed to have proliferated quite well through out the world already.

Panda
    Last edited by T.Panda; 02-03-2014 at 08:55 PM.

I met one of Jiu Wans students who was based in Japan about 10 years back so keep a look-out (may write it as Chiu Van) Film star Ti Lung introduced us!

The guy furthest to the right was a 'live-in' student

From what I have seen from Japan, they have a very structured (Wing Chun ) Yongchunquan Wushu style of learning. But let us know how you get on...
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 04-24-2012 at 03:43 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Thanks Spencer!
    Very interesting to know about your friend. I'll keep a look out
    Looking for practice partners in New York City.

Push hands, internal strength conditioning, sparring.

Hi Panda,

There are a few wing chun groups in the Tokyo area.

First, our forum's very own Mr Punch trains with a group of experienced wing chun guys.
    Then there is Chien's wing chun - a student of Lo Kam Wing - (www.chienwingchun.com), the EBMAS group (www.ebmas-tokyo.com) and this school (www.wingchun.si), and well as the huge JKD following over here.

Just out of interest, what's traditional Chinese science?

Wink

Hi Gowgee,

Traditional Chinese Science has a lot of its roots from Buddhism and Taoism. I believe that the greatest technology in our existence is our own body, and not computers, internet, etc.

Chinese Science is a very deep study of the empirical energies that are interconnected in all things and happenings, whether it be in kung fu, diet, business, health, weather, physics etc.

In practice, I do zhan zhuang, or standing meditation to build energy in my body. With practice, the frequency that I can operate on changes and the 'human antennae' becomes more receptive of emotion, change, communication.

I started with Wing Chun, and after 2 years of practice, I realized that my Wing Chun is mostly groundless as I have not proficiency of my own energy/6 directional forces/qi. So when most people argue that WC works or doesn't work, they are both right. It depends on the engine/foundation that is driving the Wing Chun. This is what ignited my interest in Chinese Science, yi jing, 5 elements, meditation etc. Though my understanding may seem satisfactory, in practice I'm still just a few steps up from being a noob.

Quote Originally Posted by T.Panda View Post
    Hi all. I'm TPanda from the US, currently residing in Tokyo, Japan.
    I am a practitioner of TWC, meditation, and studying Traditional Chinese Science.

I'd just like to know if there are any people out here in Japan and your thoughts about Wing Chuns future in Japan, as it seemed to have proliferated quite well through out the world already.

Panda
    There are two TWC people with classes in Japan. One is from Hong Kong and one from the States. I'l get back to you with their info.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

TWC Sifu Freddy Wong in Toyko. http://ewingchun.com/sifus/freddy-wong
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Freddy Wong 黄明

Address:南小岩コミュニティ会館江戸川区every Sunday 9:00am-11:00am also available on the afternoon classes(by booking in advance call +81 08067693060)
    First trial lesson were free of charge(booking in advance as about info)
    Monthly/jpy 10000 for beginner 20000 for intermediate 30000 for advance.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Thank you sigung Redmond!

Actually, you might know me through facebook. I'm currently training with Ki
    (from Sigung Parlati's kwoon) in Tokyo.

I'm on these forums to maintain a presence of Wing Chun (namely TWC) for Japan since I am optimistic about Wing Chun's future here.

Thanks Spencer!
    Very interesting to know about your friend. I'll keep a look out
    No problem, but I only met this guy once so 'friend' is a little too much lol!!

I will tell you something interesting though, although I remember chatting with him all night and him mentioning Jiu Wan as one of his teachers Sifus, the guy in one of your links actually looks very like the gent in question!! Even one of the revolving pics looks like my 'friend' there interacting with him...

Chien's Wing Chun - a student of Lo Man Kam - www.chienwingchun.com

It states that LMK was his only Sifu, so maybe my memory is total crap or I misunderstood with all the excitement of meeting Ti Lung!!!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Thank you sigung Redmond!

Actually, you might know me through facebook. I'm currently training with Ki
    (from Sigung Parlati's kwoon) in Tokyo.

I'm on these forums to maintain a presence of Wing Chun (namely TWC) for Japan since I am optimistic about Wing Chun's future here.
    Nice to meet you. Could you tell me who you are on FB? Either here or in a private message?
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Wing Chun in Japan!

Hi everyone out there. I just want to send another signal out to people in Japan who may be interested or is already practicing Wing Chun.
    The classes held by Sifu Ki in Tokyo have been going quite strong though we are still quite under the radar.

Wing Chun in Okinawa

I'm new(ish) to Wing Chun, but what caught my attention was your thread. I acctually live down in Okinawa and found out recently that there is a Wing Chun comunity down here as well! I know of one instructor that claims he studied in China for a few years (can't remember his Sifu's name sorry) and moved here to teach. If I were to find out who he trained under could someone let me know the validity of what he says? I did visit a class to do some "recon" and from what I could tell he did seem to be on point.
    My leg being bionic is a reminder that arogance does not come without a price.

"Keep your skills quiet until it is absolutely necessary to reveal them. And when that time comes, be a divine defender of Buddha." -Gene Ching-... -and "slap them silly."

Hi there!
    I'm glad that my ping out into the net got a reply!
    It's hard to come by a wing Chun brother or wing Chun curious person in Japan. I'm not one to judge what is taught by others even if I were a master. I would try learning from him and feel if its right.

If you want to know what principles to be considering as a WC practitioner , then we can talk about the common principles and creative ways to apply them as your own.

Panda

Thanks, I appreciate that. He did answer some questions I had in the back of my mind, without me even asking, so that was a plus. I do fully intend to study however his school is a bit of a ways from home.
    My leg being bionic is a reminder that arogance does not come without a price.

"Keep your skills quiet until it is absolutely necessary to reveal them. And when that time comes, be a divine defender of Buddha." -Gene Ching-... -and "slap them silly."