Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: One inch punch

Quote Originally Posted by thedreamer7 View Post
    This is hilarious...
    What ancient description? A punch a punch.
    The objective is to hit from a short distance.

http://www.wingchuntaoist.com/2012/0...wing-chun.html

Which is what I see here.
    Please lets not invent fantasy/fiction.
    hahaha, that is why i told you to not take me serious. i love fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    One of the great "BS's" in the MA.
    Show me a clip of someone, anyone doing it in an actual fight.
    Yeah.

Does inch power exist? yes of course it does.
    Is it like anything that we ever see demo'd?
    No, of course it' not.
    It is not BS, although you are right about in application it is not like the demo.

To keep WC movement sharp and fast, every movement and every time we contact the opponent we should be issuing the inch power. It's kinda like jack hammering until the wall falls down then we go in for the kill.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    And what i see here is a guy pulling his arm back at least a foot if not 18 inches.

The monks clip was more impressive
    Ok perhaps 12 inches
    Still it demonstrates short range power.
    Also the board is being held by a string.
    The strike is still impressive.

Speaking of various methods and power signatures of short punching, got a quick question.
    Every one remembers the little book Bruce Lee's One and Three Inch Power Punch by sifu James DeMille.
    Now, we've all seen BL do the inch. His posture and method of power generation seems completely different than that shown and dissertated in DeMilles book.
    Is Lee Useing Tai Chi short power or at least 'waist shake fat ging,or what? His body in that sideward stance he loved so much. It, though effective, is not much like what sifu DeMille teaches. Reading that book was the first time I ever heard of the 'gravity free fall' power. Who really taught DeMille?
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

seriously,

WCK power generation consist of

Body type, force vector or line type, point type.

each type has a different ways of generate power or different power generators, transmission, and effect.

Inch Punch is belongs to the force vector of power generation type.

unless these things are make clear, inch punch will be fuzzy and confuse and no way to have a clear handling process.

the above three types of examples utube clip are all the body type of power generation. These type of power type doesnt release Pulse. thus, it is not fajin. Fajin means release force vector. this type of power type are subject to grappling or trapping, thus in close body combat it is not effective because once a joint or limb is jam. the power generation is terminated or interupted.

This body type of power generation is also called the explode type. meaning the limp has to extended outward to generate or explode.

while the line type could be both explode and implode. where the power could be generated even while contracting the limb. Thus, a punch doesnt has to pull back and extend to deriver power. one can send out pulse per contact. this is the characteristics of the line or force vector type. thus, the six directional force vector come into play because now one deals with line of force not body limb.
    it also deal with penetration or force vector focusing.

As it says, others travel the bow and I travel the bow string. bow string is the line or force vector. where the six bow generate and handling the power while deliver out via force vector manner.

Wing Chun 1850, there are lots of things and very scientific if using today's language to describe them. too bad one get into all kind of guessing game such as Nim Lik and Qi Power causing even more confusion.

As many knows, to decode Yik Kam 1850 or pre 1850 writting, i have proposed a five layers catagorization. these five layers are the body layer, mind layer, breathing layer, force vector and momentum layer, Qi and energy transportation layer.

yes, each layer is as real as physical. the detail in every layer could be clearly describe and implement.

without these five layers ways of catagorization, one get into confusion and guessing work because one really doesnt know what is really going on and the relationship among them.

so the bottom line is, if one doesnt know the line type of power generation, one will not know how to do an inch punch with precision and repeatably for real life application.

So what is a line type power generation? what is it looks like and what it is do, and how can it send out pulse?

Simple, just take a basket ball with both hand infront of your chest or center line, shoot the basket ball to the wall in front of you. imagine the basket ball is the force pulse. that's all. your hand doesnt move to the wall or move much, you body and arm and hands are in relax state before and after you shoot the ball out. but the basket ball shoot the wall. that is inch power. and the basket ball doesnt has to be straight shoot out, it can be spin in out, and at the contact point it can hit with a single penetration or a spinning penetration. that is the handling of the six directional force vectors, controlling how deep or what type of force vector trajectory will penetrating into the wall.

Wing Chun 1850, it is much much more scientific then we think. there is no myth.

Well, you dont read my post , you are just dream there is a post like this. tomorrow when you wake up you forget all of what you have read. sweet dream.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 04-25-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    It is not BS, although you are right about in application it is not like the demo.

To keep WC movement sharp and fast, every movement and every time we contact the opponent we should be issuing the inch power. It's kinda like jack hammering until the wall falls down then we go in for the kill.
    Words...many words...and yet never seen in a fight in the way it is demoed AND drilled.
    You wanna see a practical application of "short distance" power?
    Don't look at demos, look at fights.
    Here is a little clue as to why we don't see it in a fight:
    Opponent is hitting back and NOT standing still.

Of course is anyone can show me "inch power" in a fight, that would be great.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Words...many words...and yet never seen in a fight in the way it is demoed AND drilled.

Inch power is a different way of power generation. It is independent with opponent is hitting back or standing still. Shooting a cross bow is not poking a spear.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Inch power is a different way of power generation. It is independent with opponent is hitting back or standing still. Shooting a cross bow is not poking a spear.
    Power generation and the practical application of it, are two different things.
    Pulling the cross bow is NOT shooting it in combat when under attack and being shot at and over run by the enemy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Should I say this?

first of all, these are very GOOD and respectable clips.

but None of the above is an WCK inch punch according to the ancient WCK description.

The first one is a shoulder punch trying to mimic inch punch.

The second one is a stand push even the punch travel less distance.

The third one is a punch misleading with Qi myth and still it is not an inch punch.

None of these fit the ancient description of one could be touched at major part of the body and could be propel at the instant. that is the inch punch. meaning it send out power pulse at the contact point with very minimum move in the contact point. and right before and right after the pulse is sended to the contact point. the body is in a relax state. and non of the above has a relax body to satisfy the above.

saying these above, i know I am getting myself into trouble. hahaha.
    So, do NOT believe me may be I am just dreaming and having some fantasy.
    Hendrik is right on the money! in fact an inch is already to much distance. I can strike without pulling back when my hand or any other of my body part is already in contact with the target.

The inch punch is a test to show the force available, not 1:1 execution Sure if I am in a clinch or get tied up, but thats not the goal, inch punch a guy a guy into submission take that! and this, and that ! Out of a movie.

Inch force is proving the ability to make Knockout force from little or no retraction, adopting a line of force from the heel to the fist via the kinetic chain.
    I can further add to the basic 'line of force', with rotational axis and striking, aka refacing to hit in an exchange of fighting. I can simply face and strike after hitting another person to hit another , etc...timing the strikes to coincide with movement and shifting. I have used this all the time fighting, the force of the strikes is shown by the way the guys fall back proportionately to the force I give them in a straight line, facing them.
    You dont SEE the force, many try to make force incorrectly using upper body pushes, shoulders etc...to compensate for lack of ability. The force emanates from the heel into the ground to engage the quadriceps of the thigh muscles, into a facing pelvis thrust, to an inward elbow, to a fist/palm. A PULSE of energy that will fracture bones easily, take teeth out, break noses, jaws, allow short eye jabs, powerful head shots with palm strikes....and knockouts. The pulse is a meeting of ground and fist <> in opposite directions at exactly the same time, so the skill is trusting a partner to tell you when they FEEL it coming from the leg, not the upper body.

The basic idea of VT is to learn the line of force, move it to issue it, face/chase, angle to reacquire the ability to issue force and not be overwhelmed standing front and center.
    Our drilling takes on this format and goals, we test within the drills to ensure force is available, we show errors of alignment, etc...

We also have an inch kick ability and yeah I have also seen the 'flying through the air backwards' effect it has on guys unlucky enough to receive it during fights in bars.
    Our feet are aligned so the 'pulse' from the base foot is driving the lead foot, using the pelvic position as before. And no we dont put the foot onto a guy in a fight and inch kick either
    Last edited by k gledhill; 04-26-2012 at 07:05 AM.

The on-inch punch fme is the resulting power issued using the signature Ging method of Wing Chun.

At an early stage in my training I started this training method on the wooden man and I feel that many miss the concept of 'how it is used' by trying to explain that it is within everything we do. That isn't so correct imho.

FWIW I met Jim Demile many moons ago in the UK and he explained that he adapted his method of 'facing' with opposite lead arm/leg for his inch-punch because he had much more weight/width than Bruce and it just felt stronger for him that way.

He did say Bruce could do it that way too, but preferred the sideway method for demo because it looked more dramatic
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    The inch punch is a test to show the force available, not 1:1 execution Sure if I am in a clinch or get tied up, but thats not the goal, inch punch a guy a guy into submission take that! and this, and that ! Out of a movie.

Inch force is proving the ability to make Knockout force from little or no retraction, adopting a line of force from the heel to the fist via the kinetic chain.
    I can further add to the basic 'line of force', with rotational axis and striking, aka refacing to hit in an exchange of fighting. I can simply face and strike after hitting another person to hit another , etc...timing the strikes to coincide with movement and shifting. I have used this all the time fighting, the force of the strikes is shown by the way the guys fall back proportionately to the force I give them in a straight line, facing them.
    You dont SEE the force, many try to make force incorrectly using upper body pushes, shoulders etc... the force emanates from the heel into the ground to engage the quadriceps of the thigh muscles, into a facing pelvis thrust, to an inward elbow, to a fist/palm. A PULSE of energy that will fracture bones easily, take teeth out, break noses, jaws, allow short eye jabs, powerful head shots with palm strikes....and knockouts.

The basic idea of VT is to learn the line of force, move it to issue it, face/chase, angle to reacquire the ability to issue force and not be overwhelmed standing front and center.
    Our drilling takes on this format and goals, we test within the drills to ensure force is available, we show errors of alignment, etc...

We also have an inch kick ability and yeah I have also seen the 'flying through the air backwards' effect it has on guys unlucky enough to receive it during fights in bars.
    Our feet are aligned so the 'pulse' from the base foot is driving the lead foot, using the pelvic position as before. And no we dont put the foot onto a guy in a fight and inch kick either
    Kevin has the correct.
    Now, if only there was proof of it !

Kevin has the correct.
    Now, if only there was proof of it !
    I am sure theres a hospital record, arrest record, court case We didnt have you-tube in my fighting days. Still working on "Hat Cam" for those random moments of force exchange

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    I am sure theres a hospital record, arrest record, court case We didnt have you-tube in my fighting days. Still working on "Hat Cam" for those random moments of force exchange
    But certainly we can see these prime examples of "inch force" in action now can't we?

I've seen the practical application of inch power in the ring, seen it by Thai fighters and even MMA fighters.
    So...why not by the very people that "nutride" it?

But certainly we can see these prime examples of "inch force" in action now can't we?

I've seen the practical application of inch power in the ring, seen it by Thai fighters and even MMA fighters.
    So...why not by the very people that "nutride" it?

Ah now I see your angle, I thought you where here for other reasons.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 02-11-2013 at 05:15 PM.