Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Ronda Rousey

Thanks for that Jimbo!

4/10/2018 9:13 AM PDT
    Ronda Rousey Wrecked After WrestleMania, 'Haven't Slept In 2 Days!'
    EXCLUSIVE

RONDA DROWSY TMZSports.com

Ronda Rousey gave everything she had in her impressive WrestleMania debut -- and now, she's so wiped out, she can barely stand up straight.

The WWE superstar arrived to LAX early Tuesday morning -- where our photog was heaping praise for her insanely athletic and dominant performance against Steph McMahon and Triple H.

Of course, Ronda also killed it on 'RAW' on Monday night -- putting Steph in another armbar. Two great performances, two nights in a row.

"I tried my best," Ronda told us while noting she hasn't slept in 2 days.

"I don't even know my last name right now, I think."

Get some rest, Ronda ... you deserve it.
    Ronda Drowsy - good one TMZ
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

She is doing better in Wrestling compared to MMA. Cheers.

Rousey takes down Jax with an incredible Judo throw: Money in the Bank 2018

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

https://youtu.be/XHZFDexqsH8

Still not embedding for me? Oh, well...

UFC Hall of Fame inductee

Ronda Rousey Becomes the First Woman Inducted Into the UFC Hall of Fame
    "May I be the first of many."
    BY JORDYN TAYLOR
    JUL 6, 2018

[IMG]https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/gettyimages-992529568-1530889606.jpg?crop=0.917xw:0.954xh;0.0833xw,0&res ize=980:*[/IMG]
    GETTY IMAGES
    BRANDON MAGNUS/ZUFFA LLC
    "Never say 'never,'" Ronda Rousey wrote in a celebratory Instagram post.

The former bantamweight champion made history on Thursday as the first woman inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame.

View image on Twitter

UFC

@ufc
    Immortalized. #UFCHoF

10:28 PM - Jul 5, 2018
    1,008 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    "I am not the first person who had the ability to do this, but I am here because I am the first person you took the time to watch," Rousey said during her induction speech, according to ESPN. "That you put the energy into supporting. Because of you, I am the first woman standing up here accepting this incredible honor. May I be the first of many."

Rousey's career is a collection of firsts, really. In 2008, she became the first American woman to win an Olympic medal in judo, taking home the bronze at the Beijing Games. In 2012, she became the first female fighter to sign with the UFC, and shortly after became the company's first female champion. She went on to hold the bantamweight belt from 2012 to 2015. In January, Rousey signed a full-time contract with WWE.

While introducing Rousey, UFC President Dana White, who once said women would never fight in the UFC, explained how Rousey helped evolve his way of thinking.

"In my almost 18 years as UFC president, I've learned many valuable lessons," White said, according to ESPN. "And the one that comes to mind tonight is never say never, especially when you're talking to UFC. In my defense, when I famously said women would never fight in the UFC, I had never met Ronda Rousey. I had never met the woman who would change everything. She started by changing my mind and she ended up changing the world."

In a follow-up Instagram post, Rousey thanked her many supporters.

"I had so many more to thank than I could have used the time I had the stage for," she wrote. "Everyone I know personally, I can thank in person ... last night was for YOU. Thank YOU for watching and letting the adventures of this Venetian judoka with a bad reputation change the world."

rondarousey's profile picture
    rondarousey
    Verified

Follow

Comment
    344,639 likes
    rondarouseyI had so many more to thank than I could have used the time I had the stage for. Everyone I know personally, I can thank in person ... last night was for YOU. Thank YOU for watching and letting the adventures of this Venetian judoka with a bad reputation change the world🙏🏼❤️
    It's about time.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

TWIZZLERS | Not Even Ronda Rousey Can Be Serious with Twizzlers

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Rousey vs. Cyborg

CRIS CYBORG
    I'D FIGHT RONDA ROUSEY IN WWE

7/24/2018 12:10 AM PDT
    Cris Cyborg Says She's Open To Fighting Ronda Rousey In WWE
    EXCLUSIVE

GIVE 'EM WHAT THEY WANT
    TMZSports.com
    Ronda Rousey vs. Cris "Cyborg" Justino -- the super fight that never happened -- could still be a possibility ... just not in the UFC.

TMZ Sports talked to Cyborg at the airport in L.A. on Sunday ... and asked her about the possibility of finally facing her rival after years of trash talk ... and battling Ronda in the WWE.

"Some fans ask me, 'Cris, do you like to make a fight with Ronda Rousey in WWE?'" Cyborg tells us, "I say 'Maybe, ya don't know. Maybe.' It's not something I plan. But if fans would like to watch, I need to train for that, but, ya know, it's gonna be great."

Cyborg was actually complimentary of Ronda ... telling us she's seen Rousey do her thing in the WWE ... and thinks she's kickin' ass in the squared circle.

"I watch a couple things Ronda's doing there, and I think she's doing great."

Justino also breaks down her plans to box in the future ... and explains why Conor McGregor is a trailblazer.
    THREADS:
    Christiane "Cyborg" Justino
    Ronda Rousey
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ronda Rousey Is Way Too Relaxed Around Sharks

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another belt for Ronda

Rousey may well be the smartest MMA champion of them all by parlaying her UFC loss into a WWE win.

Ronda Rousey can follow WWE script to a winning legacy in the ring
    Martin Rogers, USA TODAY Published 3:20 p.m. ET Aug. 20, 2018 | Updated 3:21 p.m. ET Aug. 20, 2018

(Photo: Getty Images)

In case you missed it, Ronda Rousey was back with a championship belt around her waist last weekend. She defeated an outmatched opponent, laid down a signature move, took in the acclaim of the crowd and was the biggest story line to come out of a major pay-per-view.

Less than two years since her final, devastating defeat inside the Ultimate Fighting Championship octagon, Rousey has had her career rewritten for her in World Wrestling Entertainment, a scripted universe that protects her against all the unpredictability of mixed martial arts.

Don’t laugh now, but Rousey might have the most enviable position in sports.

The 31-year-old, who won the WWE Raw women’s title by “defeating” Alexa Bliss at SummerSlam on Sunday, still has pretty much everything she gained by changing the face of the UFC in a dominant run from early 2013 to the end of 2016.

She has a lucrative contract, gets to compete in front of packed audiences, is a household name, has continued her movie career (''Mile 22,'' her latest film, opened this weekend) and is able to showcase the athleticism that took her to an Olympic judo medal.

All that, without any of the downside, like getting punched and kicked and knocked out, like she was first by Holly Holm and then Amanda Nunes, to bring down the curtain on an extraordinary chapter in MMA’s evolution.

The WWE knows all about the power of name recognition and you can expect Rousey to enjoy a long run as champion. If she does lose, at least she’ll know all about it well in advance.

It wasn’t so long ago that Rousey was a figure of pity. She looked timid and tortured against the hungry and ferocious Nunes – who remains the UFC women’s bantamweight champ - in a 48-second, one-sided beatdown in Las Vegas in December 2016.

Amanda Nunes lands a punch during her 48-second beatdown of Ronda Rousey in December 2016. (Photo: Mark J. Rebilas, USA TODAY Sports)

She clearly was struggling with the pressure of her notoriety, not only shunning all interviews but rarely venturing out in public. It seemed to be the classic tale of a fallen star who couldn’t handle the spotlight, and the defeat solidified that sentiment.

With plenty of money in the bank it seemed then she might fade into obscurity. Instead, in the WWE she gets to rewrite her legacy – actually, scratch that - she gets to have her legacy rewritten by a Hollywood-worthy team of script writers.

Rousey’s life made for a pretty good film script in any case. She was unable to talk as a young child, lost her father to suicide, overcame bullying, won an Olympic medal, battled depression and somehow emerged from it all to transform fighting sports.

She loved to win, but it meant so much that losing crushed her soul.

The WWE is a perfect fit. Pro wrestling, or “sports entertainment,” still is derided by some. Rousey always has had admiration and respect for it, having loved Hulk Hogan as a kid and even borrowing her nickname of “Rowdy” from former wrestler Roddy Piper.

She will never be back in the UFC, unless desperate financial problems necessitate it, and there seems little chance of that happening. Rousey and husband Travis Browne live a simple existence based on sustainable living, meaning there’s no reason the money shouldn’t just pile up.

There’s little fun to be had back in the octagon. When Rousey started she was facing women who were training part-time while holding down jobs as waitresses and office workers. Now there is a huge stable of full-time athletes training constantly, some with ferocious desire and vicious striking power, like Nunes.

Modern sports is in a strange place and the lines between fantasy and promotional narrative never have been more blurred.

On Oct. 6, the biggest UFC card of the year will take place in Vegas, with Conor McGregor challenging Khabib Nurmagomedov for the lightweight belt. McGregor is the UFC’s biggest star, having assumed that mantle from Rousey. But on the same night, three times as many people will be on hand to watch Rousey headline a show called WWE Super Show-Down. The viewing numbers will be far different, as will the way the events are handled by the mainstream media, yet it is easy to see how Rousey has had little trouble in convincing herself that what she’s doing now is just as significant as her previous incarnation.

The WWE event will be at a massive outdoor cricket stadium in Melbourne, Australia, just three miles from where her UFC title was lost against Holm in a stunning upset, and 16 hours before McGregor returns from his own UFC exile.

It is a remarkable twist in an ongoing tale, and such a coincidence that it could have been scripted, like much of Rousey’s legacy now is.

Follow Rogers on Twitter @RogersJourno

MMA & WWE & Ronda Rousey
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The writer of that article is pretty naive if he thinks there are no downsides (..."like getting punched and kicked and knocked out") to "scripted" pro wrestling. Unlike MMA fighting, there is no downtime in WWE, at least for the performers who receive top billing, like Ronda is. They can't just perform a few times a year; they have to be ready to perform every single week, and often multiple times a week. And the ones in hard rotation are always injured and in pain to some degree. Check out the list of pro wrestlers who have died young; it's pretty eye-opening. There's a lot of addiction to pain killers so they can continue to perform injured. Many also have CTE, just like many football players and pro fighters. In pro wrestling, the fights may be fake and the outcomes predetermined, but the injuries and the wear and tear on the body are very real.

I seem to recall years ago, Ken Shamrock, after his stint in WWF/WWE, saying he was leaving pro wrestling and going back to MMA because the latter was less dangerous.

OTOH, I think Ronda made a wise career choice. Because of her hype coming into WWE and her position on the women's roster, it's a sure thing she's making TONS more money than she could have dreamed of making in UFC. As long as she's not taking any steel chair shots (women rarely do, if ever), or is able to avoid any severe injuries, she could also have better longevity in WWE than she could have had as an MMA fighter. Ronda is also very fortunate that she has a persona and charisma that she's able to project to live audiences, and that she can parlay into an acting career. Not everybody has that ability or even the potential for it. So if any MMA fighters and fans are critical of her decision, Ronda can laugh at them all the way to the bank.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-13-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Hope her book does well.
    haha she is funny. Tinder is full of fake profiles. I think you should have joined this asian dating site.
    Last edited by slink; 04-04-2019 at 09:10 AM.

Ronda Rousey

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

"no longer a priority in my life"

Can't say I blame her. I mean, after you've starred in epics like Tables above, and Charlie's Angels, why bother with the octogon?

Ronda Rousey says fighting in UFC is no longer a priority, calls herself the greatest of all time
    Chris Cwik Yahoo Sports Jan 30, 2020, 1:19 PM

Ronda Rousey says she's the greatest to ever do it. (Photo by Brandon Magnus/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)

Ronda Rousey isn’t motivated to return to UFC any time soon. In a wide-ranging video on her YouTube channel, Rousey talked about fighting no longer being “a priority in my life.”

Rousey, 32, also claimed she’s the GOAT of women’s MMA.

Rousey talks about her desire to return to fighting around the 14:40 mark.

After talking about being sad watching older fighters still get into the cage, Rousey reflects on her priorities and legacy in the mixed martial arts.

“There’s not a day that goes by that people aren’t telling me to fight. And I have to kind of think of it as, would I rather be the greatest of all time or have everybody think I’m the greatest of all time. And it used to be so important for me to have both. But now it’s gotten to the point where I don’t want to sacrifice myself and my family to prove that anymore to a bunch of people who don’t give a s--- about me.”
    Because of that, Rousey says fighting is “no longer a priority in my life.”

She later expands on her thoughts about being the GOAT.

“It was actually my husband who taught me I’m so much more than just a fighter. I don’t have to fight myself into the ground to prove that I’m the greatest of all time when I already know that I am.”

Opinions will vary on whether that’s actually the case. Over her first 12 matches, Rousey was undoubtedly one of the best — if not the best — to ever do it. Losses to Holly Holm and Amanda Nunes in Rousey’s final two fights, however, hurt her legacy.

No matter where you fall in that debate, there’s no doubt Rousey played a pivotal role in putting women’s mixed martial arts on the map. People took a much larger interest in the sport because of her.

Whether that’s enough to make Rousey the greatest of all time is up for debate. At the very least, she’s in the conversation.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Back to UFC?

‘Rowdy’ Ronda Rousey reportedly ready to leave WWE behind for return to the Octagon at UFC 300
    By Craig Pekios - Aug 27, 2023

Ronda Rousey may be ready to pack away her wrestling boots and once again strap on the four-ounce gloves for a return to the Octagon in 2024.

After years away from the MMA game, ‘Rowdy’ may be looking for a comeback as the UFC closes in on its 300th event next year. That is according to an anonymous source close to the current WWE Superstar. In an interview with DailyMail, the source claims that Rousey is looking to finish up her commitments with the sports entertainment behemoth and is strongly considering a UFC return.

“She just had a match at Summerslam and is looking to wind down her time and commitments with the WWE and she is now focusing on potentially making a run to have one last fight in the UFC and compete at UFC 300 when that presents itself sometime next year,” the source said.

They also added that Ronda Rousey is “at a current crossroads in her life and career as she is looking to see what she might want to do next.

Ronda Rousey Reportedly Ready to Add Another Addition to Her Family

Ronda Rousey has not competed inside the Octagon since suffering back-to-back knockout losses against Holly Holm and Amanda Nunes. Prior to that, ‘Rowdy’ won 12 straight, all by way of finish with 11 coming in the opening round. After her first-round loss to the ‘Lioness’ at UFC 207, Rousey walked away from the sport and ultimately signed with WWE shortly after.

In 2021, Ronda Rousey gave birth to her first child, La’akea Makalapuaokalanipō Browne, with husband and former UFC standout Travis Browne. Anyone who follows her on social media knows how important being a mom is to the former bantamweight world champion. So much so that she is reportedly interested in adding another bundle of joy to her household.

“She really wants to do it all [career-wise], but in the next few months don’t be caught off guard that she is having another kid because that is something she feels is one of the most important things to happen for her again,” the source added.

Dana White recently debunked Ronda Rousey’s rumored return for UFC 300 next year, but it wouldn’t be the first time the UFC President has flat-out lied to protect some of the promotion’s impending surprises. And with Amanda Nunes no longer terrorizing the bantamweight division, there is no better time for ‘Rowdy’ to step back into the cage.

Craig Pekios
    Craig Pekios is a freelance writer born and raised in Bettendorf, IA. Joining LowKick MMA in May 2022, Craig has more than 2,500 articles published that focus on the world of mixed martial arts and boxing, including news, event previews, results, analysis, and op-eds. Aside from working with LowKick MMA, Craig has contributed to news outlets Overtime Heroics, Sportskeeda, and MiddleEasy.
    I kinda enjoy her WWE fights more than her UFC fights. They are wackier.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips