Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Ronda Rousey

I saw a commercial on TV for one of those 'celebrity' contestant shows, the kind that feature mostly semi-forgotten, over-the-hill celebrities like Erik Estrada. In fact, Estrada was one of the celebrities in the commercial. So was Ronda. Which might not bode well for her budding Hollywood career.

It's all about the money...

...which is why this article appears in Forbes.

AUG 11, 2017 @ 08:22 AM
    WWE Is One Step Closer To Landing Ronda Rousey

Blake Oestriecher , CONTRIBUTOR
    I examine the effect that sports have on business...and vice versa.
    Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.
    WWE and Ronda Rousey could soon join forces.

Credit: WWE.com

According to a report from Fightful.com, Rousey has done some basic pro wrestling training and is interested in stepping into the squared circle:

Ronda Rousey has expressed interest in a pro wrestling run, and has went as far as to learn some of the basics from a WWE Superstar...An employee backstage in WWE told us that Rousey spoke to Triple H to set up her appearance with fellow Four Horsewomen members at the Mae Young Classic. According to sources, WWE had referred Rousey and company to current superstar Brian Kendrick for training purposes in Southern California. You may remember that WWE had referred recently released Eva Marie to Kendrick as well.

There was also buzz backstage at the tournament -- mainly among WWE employees and contractors -- that Rousey's training would start soon. She's taken some basic bumps among other things thus far.

The budding relationship between WWE and Rousey is one of the worst kept secrets in professional wrestling.

WWE has had no issues with publicizing anything Rousey has done in relation to the pro wrestling juggernaut. WWE.com did a write-up on Rousey's appearance at the Mae Young Classic tapings this summer while the site also recently featured a poll asking fans which female superstar they'd like to see Rousey face in WWE.

Credit: WWE.com

After Rousey's appearance alongside The Rock at WrestleMania 31 in 2015, WWE.com even pondered whether or not Stephanie McMahon would be willing to sign Rousey, something McMahon told TMZ last November that she certainly wants to do, even indicating that she'd like to see Rousey headline a WrestleMania once her UFC career was over.

And all indications are that Rousey is done in MMA.
    MMA & WWE & Ronda Rousey
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    You cannot have one foot in the fight business and the other foot in Hollywood. Each pursuit alone requires tons of talent, hard work and commitment. One or the other (or both) will suffer. Most of the time it's the fighting that suffers.

Well, I have got enough info of Ronda to say that she is not a very good fighter both in her skill and ethnics. A good fellow will not post semi-nude photo for promotion. Also, her public fight results vary a lot. Sigh ...

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLau View Post
    Well, I have got enough info of Ronda to say that she is not a very good fighter both in her skill and ethnics. A good fellow will not post semi-nude photo for promotion. Also, her public fight results vary a lot. Sigh ...

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    Ronda may not be a good standup fighter, but to say she isn't a good fighter in her skill is a bit much. Her judo is excellent, and she defeated very good fighters during her winning streak, including Miesha Tate (twice), Kat Zingano and others. And she lost to very good fighters. ANYONE who fights competitively, whether amateur or pro, will lose sooner or later if they're in it long enough. For Ronda, her streak was meteoric and ended pretty quickly. People change, and sports (and other athletes) evolve very quickly. Whoever once seemed unbeatable gets figured out and becomes beatable.

As for her posing semi-nude, to judge a person's entire morality based on that is also a bit much. She may not come across as the most friendly person in the world 100% of the time (who does?), but neither does she come across as a sociopath, or an evil person. Personally, her semi-nude photos are not my type, but maybe she was doing it to make a stand against body-shaming, which is an issue in our society.

Personality-wise, I would guess from what I've seen and read of her (and I could be wrong, but I doubt it), she comes across as more honest and FAR LESS disingenuous or deceptive than many of the kung fu people I've seen or met. Maybe she lacks a filter and is TOO honest sometimes, which can put people off. But she (like all of us) is still growing as a person. And if we're truly being honest with ourselves, we've ALL said things and acted (and occasionally still do) in ways that we wouldn't be proud of. As long as such behaviors aren't sociopathic and haven't harmed anybody else physically, financially or otherwise, should they be held against a person for the rest of his/her life?
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-21-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Married

While we were all watching MacMay, this happened.

Ronda Rousey weds UFC fighter Travis Browne, but where are the details?
    August 28, 2017 11:15pm EDT August 27, 2017 12:52pm EDT Rousey and Browne became engaged in April and reportedly had their wedding on same day as Mayweather-McGregor fight.

(Getty Images)
    Sporting News
    Published on Aug. 27, 2017 | Updated on Aug. 28, 2017

Does anyone else find it intriguing that in the age of social media, half a day/ nearly a whole day / nearly a day and a half has gone by without any details of the reported Ronda Rousey-Travis Browne wedding being revealed?

What we do know is that UFC president Dana White announced the wedding on the Rich Eisen show Friday.

"Ronda Rousey gets married tomorrow. Tomorrow is her wedding," White said on the show. "And she's in a good place; she's really happy, and she hasn't announced her retirement or anything like that. She's focusing on this wedding."

Rousey announced her engagement to Browne on her Instagram account in April and their wedding was scheduled in Hawaii on the same day as the Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor bout. Browne is originally from Honolulu.

rondarousey
    Verified
    Following
    💍😍❤️ @travisbrownemma
    Comment
    157,783 likes
    rondarousey💍😍❤️ @travisbrownemma
    Browne is the 13th ranked heavy weight fighter in the UFC and currently holds an 18-7-1 all-time record.

Rousey became a UFC champion in 2012 and tallied six consecutive title defenses. She was defeated in the 135-pound championship bout by Holy Holm, who knocked Rousey out with a kick to the head. Over a year later, Rousey faced Amanda Nunes at UFC 207 and was also knocked out. The losses were the only two of Rousey’s career.

Rousey said during an interview on "Live with Kelly & Ryan" that Browne proposed to her in New Zealand. She also discussed some details about their wedding plans

“We’re going to do a backyard Mexican Corona party, but in Hawaii,” Rousey said during the interview.

Rousey and Browne would join a list of other sports stars who tied the knot recently. On June 30, Lionel Messi married long-term partner Antonella Roccuzzo. Back on New Year's Eve, Dale Earnhardt Jr. married Amy Reimann. On July 29, golfer Sergio Garcia married Angela Akins in her homestate of Texas. The reception featured a special appearance from musician Kenny G. On Aug. 1, Dallas Mavericks star Harrison Barnes married Brittany Johnson in Rhode Island. The two were accompanied by a variety of guests including former-teammate Steph Curry and Cavs/Celtics star Kyrie Irving.

On July 8, Washington Capitals superstar and captain Alex Ovechkin married Nastya Shubskaya in Moscow. The ceremony featured numerous NHL peers including St. Louis Blues forward Vladamir Tarasenko and teammate Evgeny Kuznetsov. On Aug. 5, Ottawa Senators captain Erik Karlsson married Melinda Currey in a private ceremony in Ottawa.

We'll keep searching for Rousey-Browne details and update in this space as more information becomes available. Or, as is the more normal fare, you'll find out on social media.
    Well shoot. At least Gina is still available.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Four Horsewomen

Okay, I'm new to this whole Four Horsewomen thing, but I'm thinking an 8-woman cage match. Think they like nacho sauce? Asking for a friend.

Ronda Rousey On How The 'Four Horsewomen' Name Was Created And What's Next For Her
    By Doric Sam | September 13, 2017

Source: ESPN

Ronda Rousey has been present for the Mae Young Classic to support her good friend and "stablemate" Shayna Baszler, who lost in the finals Tuesday night to Kairi Sane. After the match, Rousey spoke to ESPN about Baszler's performance and how the famed "Four Horsewomen" formed.

Along with Jessamyn Duke and Marina Shafir, Rousey and Baszler dubbed themselves the "Four Horsewomen" as a way to pay homage to the legendary Four Horsemen. They even received a blessing from Ric Flair to use the name. Rousey revealed to ESPN that it actually wasn't them who came up with the name, but rather the fans who bestowed it upon them.

"We were all sitting on the couch and some fans were asking for the picture, to recreate the iconic Four Horsemen picture," Rousey explained. "We were like, 'What do we have around the house? We got two belts, we got a medal, we got a machete. We can do this!' We didn't know at that moment that it would turn into something. It wasn't something we named ourselves, it was a name the fans gave to us and we're very grateful for it."

Rousey has been relatively outside of the public eye since her loss to Amanda Nunes in December at UFC 207. When asked what's next for her, Rousey preferred to keep the spotlight on her friend.

"I don't want to come to Shayna's event on Shayna's night and sit here talk about myself," she said. "I want to keep tonight all about her. Go Shayna Baszler!"

WWE & Ronda
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Again in Forbes

Honestly, I'd go see a WWE event live if I had a chance to meet Ronda.

DEC 7, 2017 @ 12:00 AM 3,224 The Little Black Book of Billionaire Secrets
    Ronda Rousey Reportedly Set To Finalize Contract With The WWE
    Brian Mazique , CONTRIBUTOR
    Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

The details haven't been revealed, but one of the worst-kept secrets in MMA and professional wrestling seems to be moving closer to a complete reveal.

LAS VEGAS, NV - SEPTEMBER 12: (L-R) WWE Chief Brand Officer Stephanie McMahon, MMA fighter Ronda Rousey and WWE Executive Vice President of Talent, Live Events and Creative Paul 'Triple H' Levesque appear on the red carpet of the WWE Mae Young Classic on September 12, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Bryan Steffy/Getty Images for WWE)

Per USA Today, former UFC women's bantamweight champion and mixed martial arts pioneer Ronda Rousey is reportedly close to finalizing a deal to fulfill a lifelong dream of becoming a WWE superstar. Rousey has teased a career with the WWE and even appeared at WrestleMania, but Wednesday's story looks like the most definitive information on an official career change.

UFC President Dana White recently talked down a potential return to the Octagon and seemed more in favor of Rousey pursuing other endeavors outside of the promotion. It's easy to imagine one of those options might include a career in the WWE.

It seems doubtful Rousey would ever become a full-time WWE wrestler. The schedule required is a rigorous one that wouldn't allow her to do the movies and TV appearances she has made in recent years.

A part-time schedule similar to the one Brock Lesnar enjoys seems much more realistic. The WWE already planted a seed for a future feud between Rousey and Charlotte Flair. It's likely this will be the angle Rousey works once she actually makes her debut on WWE television.
    MMA & WWE & Ronda Rousey
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I can't wait for this.

I'm actually more likely to find a pay-per-view to watch this than I would to watch a UFC bout. Is that wrong?

Ronda Rousey.

by Jon Fuentes SENIOR WRITER
    Ronda Rousey and WWE seem to have reached a deal
    Published 20 hours ago

It looks like the WWE and Ronda Rousey have finally agreed to a deal that will bring the former UFC women's bantamweight champion to the world of professional wrestling.

The former UFC star was one of the most dominant names in mixed martial arts (MMA) for several years as she went undefeated inside the cage. After dominating the female 135-pound division for so long, however, she met her match against Holly Holm back in November of 2015.

Holm defeated Rousey for the first time in her fighting career via second round knockout with a head-kick to the neck. After a year Rousey returned to the Octagon only to suffer another knockout loss, this time to Amanda Nunes just 48 seconds into the first round.

After the fight Rousey has yet to make an official announcement on her future as a fighter, however, it's expected that we've seen the last of her inside the Octagon.

Now Rousey seems primed for a career in professional wrestling, and has been rumored to be in negotiations with WWE for some time now.

WWE teased a partnership with Rousey at the Mae Young Classic when she was confronted by The Four Horsewomen of wrestling.

It was also rumored that she has been training for her in-ring debut with former WWE Cruiserweight Champion Brian Kendrick.

Last week TMZ caught Triple H, Rousey, and her agent having dinner at a top of the line LA restaurant, possibly discussing business.

It seems that business negotiation has concluded, as a report from PWStream claims a deal between Rousey and the WWE has been completed.

PWStream notes that it's unlikely we see Rousey at the Royal Rumble, unless they're desperate for mainstream attention, but she'll likely be at WrestleMania 34:

It should be interesting to see who WWE pairs Rousey up with for her in-ring debut with the company at WrestleMania
    MMA & WWE & Ronda Rousey
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

We'll see how this turns out. Right now, Asuka arguably is the most hard-core wrestler in WWE's women's division. They've had Asuka go literally undefeated for all 2.5 years she's been with the company so far. I predict that WWE will make Ronda the first woman to beat Asuka, as long as she can deliver convincingly in the WWE ring.

Pro wrestling is known to cause more physical injuries and chronic pain than pro MMA fighting. Plus, they're performing all the time.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-31-2018 at 09:21 PM.

It's not a sport however...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Pro wrestling is known to cause more physical injuries and chronic pain than pro MMA fighting. Plus, they're performing all the time.
    Pro wrestling falls under 'entertainment' so it's not bound by the same regulations that any large sport must abide. This includes mandatory time off after concussions or similar injuries and drug testing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Up next AUTOPLAY 5:15 Ronda Rousey gets her WrestleMania match: Raw, March 5, 2018

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The latest...

Last edited by Jimbo; 03-07-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Ronda Rousey meets Absolution: Raw, March 26, 2018

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Stephanie McMahon sends Ronda Rousey crashing through a table: Raw, April 2, 2018

I gotta say - I'm lovin this.

I'm launching a new thread - WrestleMania 43 - in honor of this historic event. I'll copy the relevant threads from above.

MMA & WWE & Ronda Rousey
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

From last night. The picture is 'backwards'. Glad to see that Ronda did very well, indeed.