Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ronda Rousey

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    Wow, I'm astonished. Maybe she's double jointed or something...
    Well, she is now

Some fallout on her last fight

California State Athletic Commission Turns Strikeforce Drug Testing Into Farce
    by Bill Hanstock • Sep 11, 2012 4:00 AM PDT

The California Sate Athletic Commission is turning into a parody of itself as the year progresses. The state governing body for Mixed Martial Arts and boxing -- among other things -- bungled the drug testing of the event at last month's card headlined by Ronda Rousey. Details are coming out now which cast the commission in a very unfavorable light indeed.

Star-divide

Tim Burke at Bloody Elbow brings us the long and winding story of the CSAC's drug testing at the latest Strikeforce event, which may as well be set to Benny Hill music.

The long and short of it is that the "random" drug testing for the event resulted in just two drug tests -- for Rousey and her opponent, Sarah Kaufman. Those drug tests were administered by a woman who has experience neither with MMA nor with drug testing of athletes, despite the fact that there were several qualified CSAC inspectors at the event who could have done this instead. There were also chain of custody problems while getting the samples (which came back negative) to the lab.

I think we all know what the solution is: we need to name the Diaz Brothers as the new heads of the CSAC. It would be less laughable at this point than the people currently in charge.
    Diaz Brothers drug testing!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

'the real deal'...

...not to mention smoking hot and great for business.
    Mixed Martial Arts - Rousey to spearhead UFC female league
    Ronda Rousey will be the first female fighter to compete in the UFC after her success in 2012 inspired Dana White to add a women's division to UFC.
    By Kevin Iole | Yahoo – 14 hours ago

The burgeoning superstar remains under contract to Strikeforce, but Rousey's performance in 2012 has convinced UFC president Dana White to add a women's division to the sport's flagship brand.

Rousey still has three fights on her Strikeforce contract, White told Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday, and will fulfil that deal before she moves to the UFC. Sports Illustrated first reported Tuesday that the UFC would add women.

"This isn't breaking news," White said. "I've been saying for months that this was absolutely going to happen. I don't know when it's going to be, because [Rousey] is under contract. We don't have the timing figured out yet. It could be a year, year-and-a-half, but I'm [in support of it]. It's going to happen."

For years, White had been a vocal opponent of women's MMA. But when he saw Rousey defeat Miesha Tate in March, he began to warm to the idea of women in the UFC.

His objection in the past was the dearth of quality women, but on Tuesday, he told Yahoo! Sports that he considers Tate, former Olympic silver medalist wrestler Sara McMann and Cris "Cyborg" Santos as first-rate fighters.

Rousey, though, is the biggest name and by far the top attraction. She's the only woman ever to receive votes in the Yahoo! Sports MMA rankings.

White said he wants Rousey in the UFC because he considers her "the real deal."

"Look, I know a lot of people are going to say we're doing this because she's pretty," White said. "But [ex-Strikeforce star] Gina [Carano] was pretty, too.

"Ronda is a whole other story. She's nasty. She's a real fighter. She not only likes to win, she likes to finish.

"Think about this: Everyone she fights knows what is coming, that armbar of hers, and no one can stop it. They have a whole training camp to prepare for that one move and nobody has been able to stop it yet.

"People who are nasty and technically sound and have that attitude, I love them. She's an Olympic medallist and she's got a great history, but she's in the gym all the time. She's a dude in a girl's body.

"She loves to beat the [expletive] out of people and she's serious about getting better. She's not saying, 'I'm the champ and I've beaten everyone in the first round,' and taking a victory tour. She's up there in Stockton working with the Diaz brothers, trying to get better."

Rousey is expected to fight in January, though nothing has been announced. Two Strikeforce cards in a row have been canceled, leading to speculation about its future, though White declined to speak about it. White typically refuses to speak about Strikeforce to reporters.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I think it's high time that Ms Rousey was named the next GoDaddy Girl.

Is she frontin on camera, or is she really that cold in real everyday life? It's gotta be an act. At least I hope so. If it was a conscious ploy to manipulate the market in her favour, that's great. Love it. But if she really is that person, she isn't anyone I would even bother getting to know. Who wants to spend time with a c0cky moody b1tch? I wanna watch them fight, no doubt. But people saying she's likable? That depends. Especially now that she is on top. Of course she was nice to people in the biz when she was nobody. That's just par for the course.

Signs with UFC?

There's a little iPhone vid if you follow the link.
    Ronda Rousey won't confirm deal
    Updated: November 9, 2012, 6:01 PM ET
    By Brett Okamoto | ESPN.com

Rousey Dances Around UFC Rumors
    Strikeforce bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey addresses reports Zuffa will shut down Strikeforce and start a women's division in the UFC.Tags: UFC, MMA, Ronda Rousey, Strikeforce, Brett Okamoto

LAS VEGAS -- Female mixed martial arts star Ronda Rousey says it would be "totally cool" to become the first woman to sign with the UFC, but would not confirm it's already happened.

A report from TMZ late Thursday stated Rousey, the Strikeforce female bantamweight champion, officially had joined UFC. Additionally, TMZ reported Strikeforce, which airs on Showtime, would cease operations after a previously announced event Jan. 12.

Mindenhall Amid reports that Strikeforce's run as a major fight promotion has come to an end, Chuck Mindenhall looks back at its bittersweet demise and what it likely means for the UFC moving forward. Blog

Officials from UFC and Showtime have yet to speak publicly on the report. UFC president Dana White posted a smiley face to his Twitter account, which he has done in the past when MMA issues explode on social media.

Rousey, who has three fights remaining on her Strikeforce deal, refused to confirm the news while visiting the Nellis Air Force Base in Las Vegas. Darin Harvey, Rousey's manager, has denied any deal to ESPN.com.

"Seems totally cool," Rousey said. "I would like it to be that way. I haven't signed any bout agreements. I don't know exactly what's going on yet. I know just as much as everybody else knows right now."

Zuffa, parent company of the UFC, purchased the Strikeforce brand in March 2011. An extension to keep the promotion on Showtime was signed in December, with a network option to continue into 2013.

Rousey, 25, has become a major star on Showtime, capturing the 135-pound title with a first-round submission over Miesha Tate in March. A former member of the U.S. Olympic Judo team, she is 6-0 in MMA and has finished all of her opponents via armbar in the first round.

The UFC long has taken a lukewarm stance to the idea of adding a female division, but that's changed drastically in recent months. During an interview with Sports Illustrated last month, White was quoted as saying, "It's absolutely going to happen."

A fight against former Strikeforce featherweight champion Cristiane Santos likely would be the biggest fight in women's MMA history. Santos was stripped of the Strikeforce 145-pound title after testing positive for an anabolic steroid after a fight last December. Rousey has stated Santos, who is serving a yearlong suspension, would have to drop to 135 pounds for the bout.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hey Gene

have you met her yet?

Nope, not yet...

If I did, y'all would be the first to know.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Super Hotties Super Match

http://bjjtoday.net/kyra-gracie-vs-ronda-rousey/
    Kyra Gracie on fighting Ronda Rousey

“She has great skills pulling off that armbar. Congratulations”, compliments the Brazilian. “I guess she’s doing a great job representing women in MMA. She has a good Judo background and managed to well adapt her skills to MMA. Each fight she comes better and better on ground and stand-up skills”.

Kyra points out Rousey’s trainings with Cesar Gracie as one of the factors for her improvement at grappling. “She’s training Jiu-Jitsu with my cousin Cesar in San Francisco, and I can see she’s evolving”.

A three-time ADCC champion and five-time world champion, Kyra is training Boxing in regular basis eyeing her MMA debut. And she keeps getting more excited about the transition.

“I’m training right now. I added Boxing to my training routine, I’m training with Claudio Coelho but I always focus more in Jiu-Jitsu because that’s where I come from. MMA growth makes me think about it more and more each day. I’m studying some propositions and checking with my coaches when would be the best moment to do it. But it doesn’t slow things down”, says.

Women’s MMA market is still pretty small in Brazil, and being a Gracie might help her to sign a contract with a big organization like Strikeforce. Despite that, Kyra is not in a hurry. “I gotta take one step at a time. I can’t do it all at once and then break down. I’m a white belt at this sport”, acknowledges. However, Kyra trust her ground game skills on a possible future fight against Ronda.

“I have pretty good armbar defense (laughs). I proved that already in Jiu-Jitsu tournaments”, remembers the fighter, warning she would have a bigger advantage over Rousey in case they had a Submission or a Jiu-Jitsu fight. “I’m an expert at Submission, so…”.

“Cyborg is more complete”, Gracie evaluates. The possible fight against Ronda is far from being a reality, but another Brazilian might cross Rousey’s path in 2013: Cris Cyborg. Strikeforce champion on a heavier division, Cris owns a sharp striking game and it could put Ronda in trouble.

“They’re not on the same weight class, but I wanna watch it in case it happens. It’s hard to predict an outcome for this fight because each fight is unique”, says the black belt. “I guess Cris is more complete because she has a great stand-up and has been evolving a lot on the ground, and she’s a two-time world champion (of Jiu-Jitsu) on the purple belt. Ronda is an Olympian athlete, who trains since she was a little girl and is used to suffering from training”.

Cyborg’s roots are in Muay Thai, but she’s been constantly investing on grappling. And a proof of that is her Jiu-Jitsu evolution, earning the world title twice in the modality. “I trained Jiu-Jitsu with Cris in San Diego earlier this year, before World. It would be a great experience and we both benefit from it”, said on the possibility of training with Cris Cyborg for her MMA debut.

“Since I trained with her before World I could notice her moves and explosion. I knew it would be hard to take that world title from her”.

Fight should happen in bikinis, just to make sure that it is fair for all.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

1st female signed by UFC

Dana White confirms Ronda Rousey signing with UFC

(Photo: Jayne Kamin-Oncea, US Presswire)
    Story Highlights

6:50PM EST November 16. 2012 - Strikeforce women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey is officially UFC-bound.

After a week's worth of news reports about a potential deal, UFC President Dana White confirmed the signing Friday.

White confirmed the UFC deal, which is the first for a female fighter, while a guest on The Jim Rome Show ahead of Saturday's UFC 154 event.

"Yes, it's official," White said. "Ronda Rousey did sign with the UFC.

"She has the whole package. ... This girl is nasty. She might be beautiful on the outside, but she's a Diaz brother on the inside. She's a real fighter and real talented. She has the credentials and the pedigree. And she has the 'it' factor. I think she's going to be a big superstar."

Terms of the deal, as well as a debut date and opponent, were not disclosed.

Rousey (6-0 MMA, 4-0 Strikeforce), an Olympic bronze-medal judoka, likely will become the UFC's women's bantamweight championship as her title changes promotions. As of now, she's the only confirmed female fighter signed to the organization.

Rousey, in a short window of time, has taken the MMA world by storm. She ran through three amateur opponents with first-round armbars, and she did the same to her first four pro opponents.

She got a title shot in March against then-Strikeforce champ Miesha Tate, and though Tate lasted longer than all of Rousey's previous opponents combined, she still was forced to tap to a first-round arm bar. In her first title defense in August, Rousey also submitted Sarah Kaufman – by armbar – in less than a minute.

Many fans are eager to see a fight between Rousey and Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos, who was stripped of her title and issued a yearlong suspension after a failed drug test (steroids) last December. But Santos has been hesitant to drop from 145 pounds, where she was Strikeforce's champion, at her doctors' urging.

Rousey's move comes amid rumors of Strikeforce's likely demise after a final show Jan. 12. Rousey isn't scheduled to compete in the event, which features three other champions from the promotion.

Now the question is, who will be the second female?
    Rousey-Santos not likely for UFC
    Updated: November 18, 2012, 8:36 AM ET
    By Franklin McNeil | ESPN.com

MONTREAL -- Ronda Rousey's first UFC opponent is undetermined but this is much is clear: It likely won't be former Strikeforce featherweight champion Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos.

A date has yet to be set for Rousey, the recently signed women's bantamweight champion, to make her UFC debut, promotion president Dana White said Saturday night.

Rousey is the first and only women's mixed martial artist under contract with UFC, though White says efforts are being made to bring on more 135-pound fighters.

Follow us on Twitter

Twitter Don't miss a moment of the latest MMA coverage from around the world. Follow us on Twitter and stay informed. Join »

An effort was made to sign Santos, a former Strikeforce featherweight champion, but thus far she is unwilling to drop to 135 pounds and fight Rousey in a highly anticipated bout.

"I haven't talked to (Santos') camp, but our matchmaker has and she doesn't seem too excited to fight Ronda," White said. "We're bringing in the 135-pound division.

"That's what we're doing. I'm trying this whole women's thing out."

UFC intends to only promote the women's bantamweight division at this time. Santos' reluctance to fight at 135 pounds means that she will not compete in UFC in the foreseeable future.

Santos has not fought since Dec. 17, 2011, when she defeated Hiroko Yamanaka by first-round TKO. The result of that fight, however, was overturned after Santos tested positive for stanozolol, an anabolic steroid.

Santos was stripped of her title and suspended for one year.

When an opponent is found for Rousey it is possible that she will defend her title in a UFC main event. White said Rousey's debut will be on a pay-per-view card.

"She's the champ," White said. "Unless there's a (men's) weight division higher than (bantamweight) and she's defending the title, she'd be the main event.

"She is the first ever UFC women's champion."

Rousey (6-0) won the Strikeforce bantamweight title with a first-round armbar submission of Miesha Tate on March 3. She successfully defended the title in August with a first-round armbar submission of Sarah Kaufman.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

So at the female fights, will they have male models walking around in bathing suites, with round signs?

Choose Me