Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drawing the Wing Chun Blades

Drawing the Wing Chun Blades

I find it interesting that someones simple clip of knife defence be ridiculed when there is very little evidence porduced by anyone here that they know what they're doing with our beloved 'Wing Chun' blades.

So, I would like to ask all of you a very simple question...

If you have been lucky enough to learn first-hand any knife work from your Wing Chun Sifu, whether that be basic drills or the whole of Ip Mans Eight Chopping Knife set, was there any time that you learnt:

1. How to defend your own blades? (ie. to stop them being taken from you)

2. How to draw your knives? (ie. using a sheath/scabbard)

I think it would be an eye-opener for all of us to really see who has gone to such lengths in their training, because as much as I knoww I can ramble on for England about many thing,s I have been a lover of weaponry snce I was a child and I find it heart breaking to think that our 2 weapons are being lost because we either choose not to train them because of our personal beliefs and direction in life, or we simply have never been taught in the first place!!

Time to step up gents, and ladies if there are any!!!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    1. How to defend your own blades?
    I like to hold my dagger in reverse hold. This way I can hide my dagger behind my forearm arm. Since it can be part of my forearm, it's diffiult for my opponent to take it away.

http://search.babylon.com/imageres.p...d&babsrc=SP_ss

I like to hide my dagger in my boots, this is the way that I will draw my knife.

- left hand grab on my opponent's neck (get in clinching - mantis arm).
    - knee strike at his belly (this will make my leg to bend and easier for me to reach to my dagger in my boots).
    - pull out dagger from my boots.
    - stab it into my opponent's heart.

One of my favor knife fight move is the "S" cut. You use horizontal cut at your opponent's belly first, when he dodges (move his body back - this may make him to lean forward to expose his neck), you reverse your move and use another horizontal cut at his throat.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-22-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I like to hold my dagger in reverse hold. This way I can hide my dagger behind my forearm arm. Since it can be part of my forearm, it's diffiult for my opponent to take it away.
    But Wing Chun do not specialize in 'dagger' methods or boot knives so I guess the simiarities end there.

Was you 'taught these methods by a Wing Chun Sifu?' Because from what you are saying, it doesn't sound like you were imho. Not that this is an issue because we can all learn from eachother, but I want to also hear from the Wing Chun students and Sifus here

Mantis man by any chance?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Blog Entries
    The long or short weapon should not have any "style boundary". The day that you pick up knife in your hand, whether you are a WC guy of a mantis guy, it won't matter much. You just want to stab your knife into your opponent's heart.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-22-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    I find it interesting that someones simple clip of knife defence be ridiculed when there is very little evidence porduced by anyone here that they know what they're doing with our beloved 'Wing Chun' blades.

So, I would like to ask all of you a very simple question...

If you have been lucky enough to learn first-hand any knife work from your Wing Chun Sifu, whether that be basic drills or the whole of Ip Mans Eight Chopping Knife set, was there any time that you learnt:

1. How to defend your own blades? (ie. to stop them being taken from you)

I think it would be an eye-opener for all of us to really see who has gone to such lengths in their training, because as much as I knoww I can ramble on for England about many thing,s I have been a lover of weaponry snce I was a child and I find it heart breaking to think that our 2 weapons are being lost because we either choose not to train them because of our personal beliefs and direction in life, or we simply have never been taught in the first place!!

Time to step up gents, and ladies if there are any!!!

I dont carry VT blades. I believe they are outdated and clumsy ( and in Maryland USA where I live) may earn one a trip to the jail. For real world circa 2012 I have a number of tactical folders that I usually carry. I ll pit my tactical folder against a BJD any day.

Quote Originally Posted by trubblman View Post
    I dont carry VT blades. I believe they are outdated and clumsy ( and in Maryland USA where I live) may earn one a trip to the jail. For real world circa 2012 I have a number of tactical folders that I usually carry. I ll pit my tactical folder against a BJD any day.
    Well, the butterfly knife certainly isn't legal to carry most places, or easy to conceal...but taking carrying practicality out of the equation-- 18" blade beats 5" blade for sure.

Training real practicality (like drawing) with butterfly knives probably doesn't make sense martially today, but it's a neat skill to learn/preserve. Drawing the broadsword has never been a part of our practice, but I think it would be neat if it was.
    Cool thread concept, LT.

The bot jam do trains the hands, footwork and coordination specially for wing chun moves and it helps with other short weapons usage as well including escrima sticks.

joy chaudhuri

Thumbs up

I dont carry VT blades. I believe they are outdated and clumsy ( and in Maryland USA where I live) may earn one a trip to the jail. For real world circa 2012 I have a number of tactical folders that I usually carry.
    I agree.....

In KL22, as mentioned before, our empty handed form IS the knife form.

Although the WC Butterfly Knives gives the edge, we don't use the BJD specificly, but the principle applies to any edged or pointed short weapon we can get our hands on.

I have a clip that I made some months ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE6CeDq7B08

Not a real knife fight, but a "stylised demo". The first 3 minutes basically discourages people the get into knife fights (totally boring, but its the right thing to do). The technical bits starts after the 3min mark so just fast forward to that.

The movement I used was the very first of the 22 movements, the "Circling Buddha Palm" of the empty hand form. Of course, in real life it would not be this stylised, but the principle of getting out of the way and controlling the opponent while slashing and stabbing was illustrated. Btw, there are another 21 moves I can do

The KL22 principle is not to strike the opponent "out", but to trap the opponent "in" so we can continue out "controlled" assault on the opponent until he is neutralized.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

If your tactical folder is shorter that a BJD I don't think so. I say this from experience in real life. Not using a Do but a Marine Corps K Bar in Vietnam.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

http://youtu.be/YW8nckzt-Bc two blades and a tactical objective. Not pirate sword fighting like the movies.

Sweet. Knives are one thing...BJD are freakin meat cleavers!!!The damage potential and guarding dynamics are incredible...Lone Tiger, got any clips to share?P.S. I' ve only started one thread that I know of.
    Last edited by Happy Tiger; 04-22-2012 at 09:16 PM.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    If your tactical folder is shorter that a BJD I don't think so. I say this from experience in real life. Not using a Do but a Marine Corps K Bar in Vietnam.
    Keep in mind, he included drawing. I believe I can draw and close before he gets his out. Also I am basing my opinion on what I have seen how people used BJDs, not very impressive, even those who purport to be masters.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    Sweet. Knives are one thing...BJD are freakin meat cleavers!!!The damage potential and guarding dynamics are incredible...
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    This is exactly what I am trying to get at. Now I have a massive respect for anyone that takes on the challenge of learning knife methods, whether that's 3" or 20", but we have to promote our specific blades over little dagger methods people!!

And our Wing Chun blades are pretty awesome imho

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    Lone Tiger, got any clips to share?P.S. I' ve only started one thread that I know of.
    Firstly, my comment about the critics on here was aimed more so at John (imperialtaichi) as from what I recall his 'dagger' clip of Kulo 22 methods was far removed from Wing Chun knife work too. And he has re-posted that here explaininng a little more why that is, which is cool of him.

And yes, I do have a few clips and once I dig them out of my older PC I will share my 'Drawing' one for you all. If I can see the point in doing so (forgive the pun!) I was kind of looking to see if anyone else has answers for my questions first...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Keep in mind, he included drawing. I believe I can draw and close before he gets his out. Also I am basing my opinion on what I have seen how people used BJDs, not very impressive, even those who purport to be masters.
    Care to share a clip of your drawing method?

If you will I will too
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術