Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you could build your dream school

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    I ask;
    If you had the opportunity build your dream school along the lines of a Traditional Chinese Style Gwoon, what would you include? What would you stay away from???
    Thanks in advance,

K
    How traditional are we talking? Classically most "traditional" Chinese martial arts were trained in rural areas so if you want a truly traditional school any open field will do.

If you are asking because you're thinking of opening a school I highly recommend you build your school from the outside in. Where most new school owner make a huge mistake is they build the school from the inside out. They fill their school with all of their dream training equipment and then have no students to pay the bills. Really there's not much training equipment an instructor needs to open a school. Focus first on marketing materials. Then once you have all your bills under control start saving to buy all the fancy equipment you want. And for the love of Pete don't get yourself in credit card debt buying everything, use cash.
    Last edited by Shaolin; 05-01-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Thanks for all of the great feedback!

I'm opening a new place here in Los Angeles in an amazing facility.

For myself I'd want big wide open training areas (with no support beams), high ceilings and good natural light through windows and or sky lights. I much rather have a Lei Tai platform than a boxing ring or octagon.
    I'd like to include some specialized apparatus. A giant (5 foot diameter) sphere made of granite, a 500 lbs hanging "wrecking ball", plum flower stakes, but really all I need is a big open training space.

I'll keep you all posted on our progress
    Last edited by Lokhopkuen; 05-02-2012 at 04:30 AM.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

Squirrel School Layout-ish

Since you mention...

I designed a dchool decades ago for Squirrel practitioners. There's the front office where parents might come in and guests can walk into the School. Then beside the frontoffice desk is the sliding door drop below the floor where there's a tunnel with the floor feet below--students enter the School through here; alternating hand and feet pressures between walls.

There is open area for forms to the right-hand side. towards the back is poles for Walking the circle. beside that are the slide down poles for exit from the second floor.

****her back is a section through a door to rails and poles and low walls for leg strikes and middle leve contact--arm and leg and moves conditioning.

Five lanes of conglomerate walls to climb between to get to the upper level. A place for candle practice striking.

That's about all I'd come-up with at some point, for my designed Squirrel School.

No_Know
    Last edited by No_Know; 05-02-2012 at 06:54 AM. Reason: c
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    I'm opening a new place here in Los Angeles in an amazing facility.

For myself I'd want big wide open training areas (with no support beams), high ceilings and good natural light through windows and or sky lights. I much rather have a Lei Tai platform than a boxing ring or octagon.
    I'd like to include some specialized apparatus. A giant (5 foot diameter) sphere made of granite, a 500 lbs hanging "wrecking ball", plum flower stakes, but really all I need is a big open training space.

I'll keep you all posted on our progress
    I like some of your ideas. I am getting ready to open a facility here in Ventura County.

Granite sphere and wrecking ball, who are your training with Winston Omega?

There needs to balance between old school/ new school .

You can teach ancient / traditional arts with modern training equipment, systemized and scientically proven training methods, a strong backround in the field and the facts/data to back it all up.
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 05-04-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
    If you are asking because you're thinking of opening a school I highly recommend you build your school from the outside in. Where most new school owner make a huge mistake is they build the school from the inside out. They fill their school with all of their dream training equipment and then have no students to pay the bills. Really there's not much training equipment an instructor needs to open a school. Focus first on marketing materials. Then once you have all your bills under control start saving to buy all the fancy equipment you want. And for the love of Pete don't get yourself in credit card debt buying everything, use cash.
    Some of this is good advice. I've seen a lot of schools with all sorts of "traditional" decorations and all kinds unique and interesting training devices, yet lacking even the most basic items like heavy bags, weight bench, and squat rack. These items, compared to the overall cost of the school, are rather small investments. Without them....not real gongfu.