Thread: Yong Chun? Changing Hands of Kung Fu?

Yong Chun? Changing Hands of Kung Fu?

Anybody ever heard of this? There's a practitioner in my town who teaches it. He calls it Wing Chun, occasionally Yong Chun, and it doesn't look like anything I've ever seen. It also seems to flout many Wing Chun principles.

I've never been able to establish a lineage for this person (he cultivates an air of mysticism and mystery ), but I'm curious about the 'style' itself. Anybody heard of it?

They've even written themselves a book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Yong-Chun-Root...sr=8-1-spell#_
    Last edited by WingChunABQ; 04-30-2012 at 08:16 AM.

with the signature in the photos of the book.

seem to be a mix of Bak Mei with Ip Man Wing Chun as core.

Looked through the book preview. The characters used are 开手功夫, which mean "open hand gungfu", not really "changing hands". Yongchun is just the Mandarin pronunciation of Wingcheun, and the book shows the three empty hand sets of WC. It looks like WC that just has some other philosophical ideas mixed into it, and some special secret "white eyebrow" gungfu. So it seems for whatever reason he doesn't want to openly teach "WC" and so buries it a little, but that's what it seems to be.

Wink Have I got a deal for you

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunABQ View Post
    Anybody ever heard of this? There's a practitioner in my town who teaches it. He calls it Wing Chun, occasionally Yong Chun, and it doesn't look like anything I've ever seen. It also seems to flout many Wing Chun principles.

I've never been able to establish a lineage for this person (he cultivates an air of mysticism and mystery ), but I'm curious about the 'style' itself. Anybody heard of it?

They've even written themselves a book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Yong-Chun-Root...sr=8-1-spell#_
    I hear the London bridge is for sale again ...

Quote Originally Posted by wtxs View Post
    I hear the London bridge is for sale again ...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We have the transported old one in Arizona!!

In any case- why bother with yet another attempt to piggy back on wing chun.?

joy chaudhuri

Don't get me wrong - this stuff looks about as realistic as wushu on the moon. The teacher also cultivates a "guru" persona and the stuff seems sodden with new age mysticism.

I was just curious if this was just one local person in my town or if there's a genuine lineage out there of this stuff.

Don't get me wrong - this stuff looks about as realistic as wushu on the moon. The teacher also cultivates a "guru" persona and the stuff seems sodden with new age mysticism.

I was just curious if this was just one local person in my town or if there's a genuine lineage out there of this stuff.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Unfortunately nowadays--lineage has loose meanings--a few lessons and a lineage of some sort is claimed.
    And as far as "mysticism"--as PT Barnum pointed out vulnerable buyers are born every minute....not just in NM.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Unfortunately nowadays--lineage has loose meanings--a few lessons and a lineage of some sort is claimed.
    And as far as "mysticism"--as PT Barnum pointed out vulnerable buyers are born every minute....not just in NM. joy chaudhuri
    Joy my man ... anyone buy into that kind of hype is a SUCKER in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    with the signature in the photos of the book.

seem to be a mix of Bak Mei with Ip Man Wing Chun as core.
    So not so unfamiliar to us UK guys who have had the initial onslaught of Black Flag Wing Chun over the past year, only to be re-branded as HKB 'Kuntao' because of the backlash of some serious Wing Chun folks!

Maybe a connection to this guy? They seem to be big on certain ritualistic behaviours, like Baisi and oaths etc. and tend to use certain Bakmei power signatures from what some have told me...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by wtxs View Post
    Joy my man ... anyone buy into that kind of hype is a SUCKER in my book.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

For sure. And MA con games are many.

joy c

I've never been able to establish a lineage for this person (he cultivates an air of mysticism and mystery
    An air of mysticism and mystery in Chinese Martial arts? I never heard of such especially in Wing Chun #sarcasm

I imagine one time in Hong Kong several decades ago someone overheard this convo: Did you hear about the eccentric guy doing some girl's style of kung fu in which one of the forms you dont even move your feet?
    Last edited by trubblman; 05-02-2012 at 07:39 AM.