Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 year old girl squats 215

10 year old girl squats 215

I'm not sure how to feel about this

In related news, this morning a 33 year old, 185lb man sobbed like a little girl after struggling to squat 225x3.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    yea, i don't know either...but, the other side of the spectrum is the rampant child obesity and that's gotta be worse.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I've always heard that if kids are going to be lifting weights it should be light enough weight that they can do 10+ reps. Certainly no powerlifting.

They say it can stunt your growth and cause other problems.

Are there any studies that support this or is it just an old wive's tale?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

i don't have time to look now but my past investigation while i was actively teaching ma to children talked about 'growth' plate issues. that being the active part of the bone that is growing.

i was going to say something about weightlifting 'yes', powerlifting 'no'. glad you said it.

seems like excessively loading the growth plates during periods of natural rapid growth anyway could possibly cause overgrowth at the joints...don't know what that my mean later in life...I doubt there are studies because maybe it's just common sense that young children shouldn't lift this heavy???
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

The old view that SOME still say is correct is that OVERHEAD weight lifting can cause "growth" issues in kids.
    One thing that we tend to forget is that powerlifting is high weight, yes BUT low volume.
    There is lots of rest between sets too.
    I don't think that the big 3 put as much stress on the bodies' structure than people think.
    That said, I would be VERY cautious of kids handling max loads.
    Now, in regards to this girl we have to remember that strength is VERY genetic, like speed and endurance.
    Just as some people are "born" to sprint or marathon or swim, some are born to lift.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Interesting discussion. My skepticism was more about how those of us with a weak ass squat compare to a ten year old girl.

Could be wrong but I thought it was specifically bodybuilding type isolation lifting that was considered deleterious to development. In some ways compound lifts mimic natural movements that many kids do everyday anyways as opposed to repping out hundreds of bicep curls and leg extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Interesting discussion. My skepticism was more about how those of us with a weak ass squat compare to a ten year old girl.

Could be wrong but I thought it was specifically bodybuilding type isolation lifting that was considered deleterious to development. In some ways compound lifts mimic natural movements that many kids do everyday anyways as opposed to repping out hundreds of bicep curls and leg extensions.
    Again, my understanding was the issue of overhead loading on a growing child.
    And yes, we all have weak ass squats compared to that !

she used a squat suit. what a poosy.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

'k...so, we'll all reconvene in 50-60 years to check on her progress...I'll bring the beer. Who's bringing the suppositories?

I'd be more impressed if she was doing it correctly.

I feel bad for her. She could be a world class athlete if her parents would get her a real coach and have someone show her how to do it without potentially injuring herself.

The deadlift video makes me cringe every time. Why, oh why, is it that people think you have to hyperextend your back to deadlift?
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

I'd be more impressed if she was playing a real sport.

First there were 10 year old blackbelts.

Now there are 10 year old power lifters.

What we need next is a 10 year old no touch knockout master! He can be all mystical and they can show footage of adults in his class being thrown across the room without even being touched. Then the camera will cut to an interview with him and he'll be like "I like normal stuff, videogames, Pokemon, etc." and then the reporter, a female, will be like "how do your friends feel about the fact that you can kill them without touching them?" And he'll be like "well, I don't do that to my friends because I like them" and then it will cut back to the anchors who will be like "wow! What a kid! I'd hate to run into him in a dark alley!"
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I'd be more impressed if she was playing a real sport.
    Yeah, like ping-pong or chess !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Yeah, like ping-pong or chess !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idSdnubrlds