Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: old school steelwire mants

old school steelwire mants

forgot about this style, used to be quite popular here in the uk, nice to see mantis guys sparring and making contact even if its mainly to the body, 3.05 for some nice use of a motorcycle helmet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsovkA8fGJU

Isn't steelwire a combination of Chow Gar and Hung Gar?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Isn't steelwire a combination of Chow Gar and Hung Gar?
    yep, tony leung combined both arts in the 90's, think he was quite high up in chow gar before he developed steelwire thinks hes a shaolin disciple now

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    yep, tony leung combined both arts in the 90's, think he was quite high up in chow gar before he developed steelwire thinks hes a shaolin disciple now
    Its funny, my SPM teacher's older brother is a Hung Kuen guy ( that is where I meet my SPM teacher) and he n ever combined them per say, though he did take a few things he liked ( Iron wire for one).
    He preferred to combine his SPM with Western Boxing ( although combine is perhaps to strong a word).

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Its funny, my SPM teacher's older brother is a Hung Kuen guy ( that is where I meet my SPM teacher) and he n ever combined them per say, though he did take a few things he liked ( Iron wire for one).
    He preferred to combine his SPM with Western Boxing ( although combine is perhaps to strong a word).
    never trained it but i heard they trained the two side by side, i think he branched out when the Ips made paul witrod there rep in the uk (think he had trained longer but not sure)

I did Steelwire Mantis for 4 lessons, just before starting Hung Kuen Jing Chung in '96, always felt wrong the training and atmosphere too, Tony Leung had a problem with my teacher when Leung tried to claim lineage with Chan Hon Chung si-gung (coz he had a photo taken with him, although previously Leung claimed Chiu Wai lineage??. Hung Gar n Chow Gar dont mix.

As for the Ip's choosing Paul Whitrod, a close friend of my teacher-I was lucky to meet Ip Sui a few times coz he loved our Mo See, Leung is supposed to have offered cash as a bribe, for number one in UK/Europe status and this offended the Ips

Quote Originally Posted by Chris m View Post
    I did Steelwire Mantis for 4 lessons, just before starting Hung Kuen Jing Chung in '96, always felt wrong the training and atmosphere too, Tony Leung had a problem with my teacher when Leung tried to claim lineage with Chan Hon Chung si-gung (coz he had a photo taken with him, although previously Leung claimed Chiu Wai lineage??. Hung Gar n Chow Gar dont mix.

As for the Ip's choosing Paul Whitrod, a close friend of my teacher-I was lucky to meet Ip Sui a few times coz he loved our Mo See, Leung is supposed to have offered cash as a bribe, for number one in UK/Europe status and this offended the Ips

interesting. I didn't know that.
    Tung Kong Hakka Chow Gar Naam Pai Tong Long

http://www.youtube.com/user/dmas5animals

Actually HK and SPM do mix, just not at the same time and not as a "blend".
    That said one of the issues with SPM is that you MAY (note I said MAY) need something else to "unlock" it.
    Some find that "key" in other CMA like hung kuen, others find it outside, my sifu found it in western boxing, Sifu Whitrod found it in the Indian arts.

Of course anybody can learn as many different styles as they want, but Steelwire mantis threw it all together in a mess, first Lau Gar Kuen, then some Chow Gar drills, it just felt horrible. People learning multiple styles separately is excellent.... But that was just chop suey crap

Of course anybody can learn as many different styles as they want, but Steelwire mantis threw it all together in a mess, first Lau Gar Kuen, then some Chow Gar drills, it just felt horrible. People learning multiple styles separately is excellent.... But that was just chop suey crap
    Well...I have never seen it so I can't comment on that.
    I don't place much stock in demos as being able to show what a style is really about and I have only seen demos of it, so...

nice liked he first clip lots of contact work and some of it gloved up

nice liked he first clip lots of contact work and some of it gloved up
    There's a lot of contact in Chow Gar anyway. Stink of jow all the time.

Tony C has a good rep in kf circles.
    Tung Kong Hakka Chow Gar Naam Pai Tong Long

http://www.youtube.com/user/dmas5animals

Quote Originally Posted by charp choi View Post
    There's a lot of contact in Chow Gar anyway. Stink of jow all the time.

Tony C has a good rep in kf circles.
    pre arranged contact work is a bit diffeent to full on hard contact sparring as they were doing
    Dont see much of that in the hakka arts on line to good to see
    Last edited by Frost; 05-15-2012 at 05:33 AM.

contact work is a bit diffeent to full on hard contact sparring as they were doing
    Dont see much of that in the hakka arts on line to good to see
    Which is one of the reason why some have a hard time "translating" their art into their practical ( and those that do have some practical in their background already).
    I remember my SPM teacher saying to me (when he found out I had boxing and kyokushin in my background), "Good, you are ahead of the curve, you understand fighting already".