Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Experience

Experience

Hello everyone, I am a new member. I don't know whether this thread should go in a different section but since its sort of related to kung fu, I posted it here. I am deeply sorry if this the wrong section but this my first post . I have been searching other forums over the internet about the topic of choosing a good sifu to start learning wing chun. There were many threads on such a topic, however, many didn't satisfy my curiosity. I have been searching for respectable sifu (who don't just teach for money) within the london area. I have found that Alan Orr, Leo au Yeung, Desmond Spencer and Austin Goh are popular and commonly suggested but I haven't found a comparison between the different sifu's. Since this is my first martial art I will probably study, I don't know what really makes up a good MA teacher. I would be grateful to know people's opinion's on these teachers (first hand experience or not), comparisons between the instructors, how they teach, what you think is the most effective, reasonable pricing for lessons (how much they charge) and similar questions. Thank you to anyone who responds in advance. I am very grateful to be part of this wonderful community

hansolo

Alan Orr dude! He's awesome!

Try them all out, make your mind up...its easy to go back to one you like, they will appreciate that you came back to them once you decide.

Ditto. Try them all.
    Dio perdona... Io no!

Gotta agree with the advice posted, try them all, see and feel their approaches. Take the time to consider which one (if any) feels appropriate for you and choose one. As Kevin said, they'll appreciate that you came back.

London is a pretty big place and there are plenty of us around who have a non-commercial approach to coaching too, so it really depends on what you are looking for, why you want to train and how far you want to travel?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Chiming in:

Be clear about what you are trying to get out of studying martial arts, then try them all out.

Don't stick around with any 'gurus', avoid personality cults.

ok... I'll definitely check them all out... why alan orr? has anyone had any experience austin goh or leo au yenug?

thanks

hansolo

Quote Originally Posted by hansolo View Post
    ok... I'll definitely check them all out... why alan orr? has anyone had any experience austin goh or leo au yenug?

thanks

hansolo
    Leo Au Yeung's linage is pretty much excellent. He learnt his craft in Hong Kong and helped choreograph the Ip Man movies. He trains hard and I have yet to see anyone not have a hard time in chi sau with him.

Finding a good teacher is much about yourself as as much as the teacher. Go meet as many teachers as possible and see who you think you will get alone best with and are best suited to their style of teaching.

"Finding a good teacher is hard, finding a good student is even harder..."

thanks.... does leo au yeung do sparring?

does anyone know about austin goh?

thanks.... does leo au yeung do sparring?

I've had a seminar from him a few months ago. No doubt I liked his way of teaching. Only the part of internal energie was a bit hard to accept. (Maybe that's something for when I'm more advanced)

Yes. He is my kung fu uncle.

And if you are looking for sparring I know he and his many students and instructors love to train for the fight! He has some very decent, skilled martial artists he has taught over the decades and some are still in London too.

Granted, he himself promote much more heigung and healing these days, but he still manages to get around to his classes. Chinatown based mainly so again it depends on your distance and expectations.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

thanks for the responses... they all sound good....leo au yeung seems to be my favourite at the moment though

Sifu Leo is a genuine nice guy with good students so a good place to start
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

he looks the best for me