Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ufc® 148: Silva vs. Sonnen ii

Ufc® 148: Silva vs. Sonnen ii

July 7, 2012 @ Las Vegas, NevadaMGM Grand Garden Arena

Official UFC page

I mention it because Cung is fighting. He faces Rich Franklin
    Skill Breakdown
    Charts are compiled based on results from all fights.
    Total Fights: 28
    Record: 28-6-0, 1NC
    Summary: Excellent striking skills, good conditioning, well-rounded
    Fighter Info
    Nickname: Ace
    Height: 6' 1" ( 185 cm )
    Weight: 185 lb ( 84 kg )
    College: University of Cincinnati
    Degree: Mathematics
    Cung's UFC stats
    Skill Breakdown
    Total Fights: 10
    Record: 7-2-0
    Summary: Striking, Takedowns
    Fighter Info
    Fights Out Of: San Jose, California USA
    Height: 5' 10" ( 177 cm )
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Going to be another tough fight. Franklin is huge at MWeight. He is a good stirker and is much better on the ground(if it goes). I just read too that Rich has been training in a gym in singapore that has Shanshou fighters. Good luck Cung!

should be an exciting fight. im hoping for a ko or tko here. hey at least both of them can beat up frank shamrock!!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I'm thinking Sonnen and Franklin for the 'W'. I can't wait for Andersen to go down, Sonnen blew it that last fight.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Im not a silva fan. I have never liked his demeanor. But i can't deny his ability. Look at it this way. Even on his worst day (his last fight with sonnen) he still won. The man is dangerous for sure. Il. Be rooting for sonnen though. If he can keep silva on the ground i think he has a chance.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Cain Velasquez

Cain came back well with Silva after his one single loss to Santos but could even the score on his one single loss.
    He is a superb grappler but still working on his striking. He put up a rather wooden striking defense against Santos and got caught with a powerful punch when he did not even adjust his hands..
    He has superb stamina and was a very very hardworking athlete when he was at Arizona State University.

joy chaudhuri

ON Silva/Sonnen anyone see the documentary "Like Water"? Its from the first fight, good watching. I think Sonnen suprised AS with his boxing last fight, probably not this go but Chael is easily the best wrestler AS has faced. Thats the one thing that the MW division has lacked, good wrestlers.

Dos Santos is a great boxer but he certainly dosent put the mixed in MMA.

Anyone know if Cung is still on the card? If so, who will he face now?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/2012/05/...elfort_injury/

Good question, Brule

It's causing a bit a stir.

June 1, 2012 at 1:00 am
    Mixed martial arts fans eventually will tell UFC: Enough is enough

Running so many shows might finally be catching up to the UFC.

When news broke Saturday following UFC 146 that middleweight Vitor Belfort broke his hand and was out of his UFC 147 main event bout with Wanderlei Silva, everybody immediately began thinking of suitable replacements.

Well, there was one problem: There wasn't anyone to fit the bill.

Finally on Wednesday, the UFC settled on former middleweight champion Rich Franklin, pulling Franklin out of his UFC 148 bout with Cung Le in the process.

The rematch between Silva and Franklin will take place June 23 in Belo Horizonte, Brazil, and will be the last of four fight cards for the UFC this month.

Here's the problem: When the fight between Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen had to be moved from 147 to 148, the stock of the card dropped drastically. Subtracting Belfort and adding Franklin, who hasn't fought since February 2011, weakens it even further.

The co-headliner, a heavyweight bout between Fabricio Werdum and unheralded Mike Russow, isn't lighting many worlds on fire and the rest of the show will feature Brazilian fighters who have little exposure in America.

Then you add in that this card is being used mainly as a backdrop for the finals and undercard of "The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil," a show that won't even begin airing on American television until this month, and you have the recipe for an all-time low modern-era pay-per-view number, especially considering the following pay-per-view, 148, is highly anticipated.
    MMA overload

The UFC is running four shows this month, three on FX, starting with "The Ultimate Fighter: Live Finale" at 9 Friday on FX, and then two of the following three Fridays, as well. The UFC will go back-to-back nights with UFC on FX 4 in Atlantic City, N.J., and UFC 147 in Brazil.

The overflow of cards creates a serious depth issue which becomes apparent when a big-name fighter pulls out, but was even more of an issue than usual when Belfort pulled out. Every other suitable middleweight already was booked, or, in the case of Alan Belcher, was hurt. That led the UFC to move Franklin up a few weeks and make his fight with Silva a 190-pound fight, essentially robbing Peter to pay Paul.

As it stands now, it's insulting to ask the fans in the United States to pay $54.95 for a show that would compare to many of the company's offerings on FX, not to mention a show that features fighters very few American fans have seen. It's a near-certainty many fans will voice their displeasure by not ordering the pay-per-view, especially when the UFC is running two of them in July.

The UFC has to ask itself how much is too much? The company already has run 12 events this year, with four more to come this month and three in July. If you're scoring at home, that's 19 events in seven months. That's a lot for even the most ardent MMA fan. Then you add in two seasons of "The Ultimate Fighter: Live," the one just concluding and one in the fall, and you have a whole lot of UFC programming.

It's tough to say whether the company is overexposing itself quite yet, but it sure feels that way when they are presenting pay-per-views like UFC 147. It's an interesting odyssey for a company that will run nearly as many events this month (four) as it did in all of 2004 (five), the year before they hit it big.

If the quality of shows remain good, that's great for the fans. But even the best, most action-packed shows really don't mean much if nobody's watching, do they?

Matt Bishop is a radio host at BloodyElbow.com. Read his MMA column for The Detroit News, "The KO Corner," every Friday at detroitnews.com.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It sounds like the UFC has signed Patrick Cote to fight Cung at that event. I can't find a source right now. Cote fought Anderson Silva a couple years back and blew out his knee. He subsequently lost a few fights and then dropped from the UFC. He has fought in smaller promotions until now when the UFC came calling for a replacement. Hopefully this goes Cung's way.

Thanks Brule

Let's do this again now.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Cung's UFC stats
    Skill Breakdown
    Total Fights: 10
    Record: 7-2-0
    Summary: Striking, Takedowns
    Fighter Info
    Fights Out Of: San Jose, California USA
    Height: 5' 10" ( 177 cm )

Cote's UFC stats

Total Fights: 15
    Record: 17-7-0
    Summary: KO Power, submission skills
    Fighter Info
    Nickname: The Predator
    Fights Out Of: Montreal, Quebec Canada
    Height: 5' 11" ( 180 cm )
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sonnen Silva II

Who ya gonna send?
    http://youtu.be/lQq6wB6-ung

Enter the Spider
    http://youtu.be/tBK3RJWjfUQ

I can't wait for this rematch...the first fight was one of the greatest UFC fights ever. Sonnen talked all that smack, no one gave him a chance, even I thought Silva was pretty unbeatable and Sonnen showed no fear and pretty mutch pulled a Buster Douglas vs Mike Tyson. Total domination almost had it ended in the middle rounds and then out of no were the champ submits him in the last minute or so. Much respect for both guys.

That's one of the great things about MMA is that there is always someone who you don't match up well against or who has your number. I think Sonnen is completely in his head or all of Brazil's head for that matter...they want to hang him publicly. He has been masterful with the trash talking...to an art form.

I pray to Yahweh that he backs it up and defeats them in Rio!!! So effing epic if thats the case. Interested to see if Silva goes for the quick knock out. If Sonnen survives the first round...Silva is gonna be scared and in trouble.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

This got blown way out of proportion. I bet Dana White is laughing like a little girl as he packs his pockets full of cash. Sonnen's antics are silly and his intent transparent; Silva is even sillier for lashing out like he did, tho.

But what the hell, who doesnt love to see a grudge match! Most people say that Silva will run over Sonnen now, but somehow I'm not so sure...you think Silva was simply too relaxed in the last fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Sardinkahnikov View Post
    This got blown way out of proportion. I bet Dana White is laughing like a little girl as he packs his pockets full of cash. Sonnen's antics are silly and his intent transparent; Silva is even sillier for lashing out like he did, tho.

But what the hell, who doesnt love to see a grudge match! Most people say that Silva will run over Sonnen now, but somehow I'm not so sure...you think Silva was simply too relaxed in the last fight?
    It's hard to be relaxed when some dude is pounding your face for 4.5 rounds, I think Sonnen just wanted it more and had a great game plan. Silva has had some seemingly lack luster fights with other opponents, its either lack of focus or mental toughness. No doubt he has had the best athletic and fighting ABILITY and skill sets. I would love to see him fight Jon Jones after this win or lose.

Personally I like this USA vs Brazil rivalry...I have seen some training vids of Brazilian fighters mocking the USA fighters reliance on boxing and wrestling vs their Muy Thai and BJJ. It makes for good TV.
    Last edited by Hebrew Hammer; 07-02-2012 at 09:47 AM.