Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts Instructor Refused in UK

Exclamation Martial Arts Instructor Refused in UK

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/mart...nwelcome-here/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18002220

No more self-defense and martial arts are allowed in the UK if the methods taught are violent and extreme (whatever those terms mean)?

I suppose this raises some questions that all martial artists must answer for themselves. If you must defend yourself from an attacker, how much force should be used to neutralize the threat? Can you use violence to thwart violence? Obviously, the law does not allow the defender to become the aggressor, but, should lethal force and violent intent be thwarted with with non-lethal force? Does someone's desire to harm you using force open the door to using violent force against them?
    Last edited by stoic; 05-10-2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by stoic View Post
    Does someone's desire to harm you using force open the door to using violent force against them?
    I believe so, personally. I'd rather sit being judged before of a jury of my peers than resting amongst my peers in the morgue.

Of course its all situational. Being able to make that decision depending on circumstances is an important part of the defense process imo. at what point do you give up your desire to appease the law in order to prevent permanent damage or death?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

People that lack confidence in their skills are the ones that take it to the "extreme".
    Yes there is a place in the MA for deadly techniques, but the VAST, VAST majority of times that is NOT the case.
    I've seen guys with guns get KO'd with a simple punch and, threat eliminated.
    No need to crush throats or stomp on necks.
    But this is just BS.
    They have "knife fighting" seminars in the UK don't they? FMA seminars no?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

UK is intolerant of violence because of so much senseless violence that happens there.

RBSD and teachers of the reality of violence aren't gonna be looked at in the same way as someone who is teaching a perceived antiquated art form.

That's how it is there.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    UK is intolerant of violence because of so much senseless violence that happens there.

RBSD and teachers of the reality of violence aren't gonna be looked at in the same way as someone who is teaching a perceived antiquated art form.

That's how it is there.
    What about the RBSD guys already there?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    What about the RBSD guys already there?
    What can they do about them? They're citizens, they keep it on the down low.

I know a couple of guys who are active in this in UK. It is presented in a different format than what is presented here. Very structured, very open, not a lot of trash talk the likes of which we see here from various "monsters" "animals" "shredders" etc

The emphasis is placed on awareness of surroundings and the psychology of dealing with violence. I think the marketing that Larkin was using was probably what got him in the soup.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

For what it's worth, the material is worth understanding.
    Rory Miller has an approach to this that I find interesting and refreshing.

I am such a slacker and have to catch up on my reading.... lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I wonder if he would have been banned, had there had not been so much emphasis on the fact that he would specifically be visiting the scenes of last years riots in the UK...?

moved this to the main as it's very much 'on topic'

U.S. martial arts expert banned from entering Britain over fears his 'kill or be killed' teachings could incite vigilante violence
    By Keith Gladdis and Tom Leonard
    PUBLISHED: 07:09 EST, 9 May 2012 | UPDATED: 08:57 EST, 10 May 2012

Banned: Tim Larkin is not welcome in Britain because of his self-defence teachings

An American martial arts expert who teaches how to inflict ‘crippling pain’ on attackers has been banned from entering the UK.

Home Secretary Theresa May refused to allow Tim Larkin into the country amid fears his ‘kill or be killed’ philosophy could encourage vigilante violence.

The former military intelligence officer and expert in hand-to-hand combat had been planning a tour of areas that had been hit hardest during last year’s riots.

He was due to teach classes in the London area of Tottenham, where the violence started, and appear at the Martial Arts Show in Birmingham.

But when Mr Larkin, 47, tried to board a flight in Las Vegas, he was handed a letter from the UK Border Agency saying he had been excluded from Britain.

Despite having visited Britain three years ago, Mr Larkin was told his presence in the UK was now not ‘conducive to the public good’.

He joins Moonie cult leader Sun Myung Moon, Nation of Islam minister Louis Farrakhan and American white supremacist Dennis Mahon in being denied access to Britain.

Mr Larkin, who says he has trained corporate and civilian clients in New York, Las Vegas and London, claimed the exclusion was a ‘gross over-reaction’.

He said: ‘It says there’s no right of appeal. I have a lot of support over in the UK. I have people I can go to. There are Members of Parliament I’m sure I can go to, and maybe this can be reconsidered.

‘I think it’s a gross over-reaction, especially with some of the people who are allowed to come in and out of the UK.

‘There is nothing outrageous about it, there’s nothing that I’m going around to incite violence or to incite vigilantism – that’s a characterisation of the people who hear my opinions on self-defence.’

Plans: Tim Larkin, pictured here in a lesson, wanted to hold a series of seminars in riot hit areas of Britain

HOW TO BREAK AN ATTACKER'S SPINE WITH 'DEADLY FORCE'

Tim Larkin claims his controversial techniques have been adopted by US special forces including the elite Navy Seals unit that killed Osama bin Laden.

His book, How to Survive: The Most Critical Five Seconds of Your Life, describes how to inflict ‘crippling pain’ on an attacker.

Chapters such as Violence is About Injury, Why you Must Learn to Kill and Kill it Simple, Stupid emphasise the need to use ‘deadly force’.

His Target Focus Training website carries videos of instructors teaching students how to break the spine and elbow of an attacker.

Students are also taught to punch an attacker so hard that a rib will break into the internal organs and hit the spine.

Larkin also reveals a technique that involves kicking an attacker hard enough to disable him by rupturing his testicles.

The power of a Home Secretary to ban individuals from the UK has caused controversy, with critics saying it has not been used consistently.

American radio host Michael Savage threatened to sue former Home Secretary Jacqui Smith when his name was included in a list of people not welcome in the UK.

BANNED FROM BRITAIN:

Various criminals, celebrities, sports stars and religious extremists have in the past been banned from entering Britain. Here are a few:

* American rapper Snoop Dogg was barred from entering the UK in March 2007 by the then Home Office minister John Reid after his involvement in a mass brawl at Heathrow.

* In the early years of the Cold War, Childen poet Pablo Neruda, singer Paul Robeson and composer Dimitry Shostakovich were refused entry for a peace conference in 1950.

* Moonie cult leader Sun Myung Moon, Nation of Islam minister Louis Farrakhan, American white supremacist Dennis Mahon have all been denied access.

* Osama bin Laden's son Omar was banned from entering Britain to live with his new wife in 2008 because of fears his presence might cause 'public concern'.

Muslim cleric Sheikh Yusuf al-Qaradawi, who had defended suicide attacks, was refused a visa but only after being a guest at City Hall of former London mayor Ken Livingstone.

Islamic preacher Zakir Naik who claimed ‘every Muslim should be a terrorist’ was banned from Britain but still addressed the Oxford Union via a video link.

And Jamaican reggae singer Bounty Killer (real name Rodney Pryce) was allowed to perform in the UK despite using lyrics which encourage the murder of ****sexuals and promote gang culture.

A Home Office spokesman said: ‘We can confirm that the individual in question is subject to an exclusion order. The Home Secretary will seek to exclude an individual if she considers that his or her presence in the UK is not conducive to the public good.’

West Lancashire MP Rosie Cooper had warned the Government about Mr Larkin’s visit.

She said: ‘I’m grateful to the Home Secretary for taking the appropriate action and not allowing this man into our country. He teaches extreme and violent self defence that is unwelcome here.

‘The decision to bar Mr Larkin from the UK demonstrates the value of constant alertness when it comes to border controls.’
    At least he's in good company...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i'm betting his book sales sky rocket after this. i didnt know it existed and now i'll probably pick it up.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Blog Entries
    (Speaking from the TIRED OLD SOAP BOX)

Speaking sarcastically, and surprised it hasn't been said yet:

Who's Tim Larkin?

Has he proved that his deadly Special forces Spine snapping techniques actually work in the Octagon? How many Spines has he snapped?

blah blah

Wow, even I hate myself for bringing up those tired old Knifefighter digs.

Seriously, people can learn to make bombs over the internet and the UK is worried about this guy???

What the heck is wrong with me today? haha.
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

Quote Originally Posted by Subitai View Post
    (Speaking from the TIRED OLD SOAP BOX)

Speaking sarcastically, and surprised it hasn't been said yet:

Who's Tim Larkin?

Has he proved that his deadly Special forces Spine snapping techniques actually work in the Octagon? How many Spines has he snapped?

blah blah

Wow, even I hate myself for bringing up those tired old Knifefighter digs.

Seriously, people can learn to make bombs over the internet and the UK is worried about this guy???

What the heck is wrong with me today? haha.
    you're being entirely to logical and realistic.

BREAK AN ATTACKER'S SPINE WITH DEADLY FORCE
    Well that's the problem right there.

He needs to teach how to break an attacker's spine with peaceful force.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

If you look at the history of the brits over the centuries, you will see that violence is pretty much what they did, but they did it to other people. They tend to be their own worst enemies at times.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

That's how it is there.
    Um, what? (looks outside, birds singing, children playing).
    The emphasis is placed on awareness of surroundings and the psychology of dealing with violence.
    The important stuff you mean?
    Last edited by Ben Gash; 05-12-2012 at 04:16 AM.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk