View Poll Results: What does "internal" mean to you?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Having to do with qi (see clarification in post)

7 35.00%
  • Having to do with having proper form/structure

4 20.00%
  • Having to do with breath, or having proper breathing/breath

2 10.00%
  • Both structure and breath

6 30.00%
  • Having to do with being alive (as opposed to being dead)

1 5.00%
  • Having to do with one's mental state (eg. "being in the zone")

0 0%
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: What does "internal" mean to you?

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    @Mr. Patterson.

I read your definition of "Internal vs. External" here:

http://www.hsing-i.com/hsing-i/IntvsExt.html

I've never heard that definition before (the geographical location), but it makes sense.

And it's a whole lot more feasible than the whole mystic qi power stuff.
    The geographical and philosophical view is one that I have heard before and personally agree with.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I thought we were only talking about "fighting" by Mr. Patterson's definition (which is apparently different than my definition although neither person has volunteered a definition)

Surely real fighting involves grappling. Or can potentially involve grappling.

If not, my "striking" definition of "bridging" is still different from yours.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iron Fist both pairs of guys are doing some bad bridging.Who taught them?

Joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    But typically a bride is made when ANY contact is made.
    Now that is a strict ass religion !
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Now that is a strict ass religion !
    LOL !
    Freudian slip alert !!

@Mr. Patterson.

I've never heard that definition before (the geographical location), but it makes sense.

Question about this:

How does "internal" kung fu accomplish the bolded more so than "external" kung fu?

All physical exercise benefits the lymphatic system so I'm curious what added benefit "internal" kung fu provides. Same question for the circulatory system.

And by what method does "internal" kung fu "strengthen the internal organs"? Are you saying IKF does this better than EKF, or that EKF doesn't do it at all?
    Ya those definitions make sense if you are external, because they are written by someone that is external and does not know what internal is because he can't do it.

Cheers

@Mr. Patterson.

That is the only definition I am willing to abide by as all the others simply make no sense to me. Martial arts are martial arts. Styles vary. And so do opinions.

Question about this:

How does "internal" kung fu accomplish the bolded more so than "external" kung fu?

All physical exercise benefits the lymphatic system so I'm curious what added benefit "internal" kung fu provides. Same question for the circulatory system.

And by what method does "internal" kung fu "strengthen the internal organs"? Are you saying IKF does this better than EKF, or that EKF doesn't do it at all?
    First of all... on that original page, those words are NOT IN BOLD as putting something in bold tends to change the emphasis now doesn't it?

I also do not see words such as "more so" or "better". Those are your words Ironfist. Do not put them in my mouth.

Now I have a very busy day today and I have no time to play with the likes of you. In short, you have become tiresome and I find precious little value in your opinions and perspectives. So you have a good day doing whatever it is that you do, okay?

And I will go back to doing what I do best.

For the rest of you who did indeed contribute something of value to this thread, I thank you. Sanjuro, David, Golden Arms, Youknowwho, SPJ... and anyone else I may have missed, it's always nice to hear what other martial artists have to say and I enjoyed reading. All have a good day and a good weekend. I will be away for a bit again.
    One of these days the world is going to become so politically correct that it will scare itself out of existence.

MP 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Ya those definitions make sense if you are external, because they are written by someone that is external and does not know what internal is because he can't do it.

Cheers
    I think Gene needs to more rigorously enforce the "don't smoke crack right before posting on KFMF" rule...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Patterson View Post
    First of all... on that original page, those words are NOT IN BOLD as putting something in bold tends to change the emphasis now doesn't it?
    I know. I bolded them myself for clarification.

It's common practice on internet forums, if quoting a large piece of text (which is often left in its entirety for context), to bold the part you are specifically asking about. I didn't want to throw a wall of text at you when I was only asking about a small part of it, so I bolded the part in question and then referenced it below so you could easily find the part I was talking about.

I also do not see words such as "more so" or "better". Those are your words Ironfist. Do not put them in my mouth.
    In a discussion of IMA and EMA, you specifically mentioned that IMA does x and y. This implies that it is somehow different than EMA, otherwise it wouldn't have been mentioned in isolation. I was asking for clarification, but instead I got:

Now I have a very busy day today and I have no time to play with the likes of you. In short, you have become tiresome and I find precious little value in your opinions and perspectives. So you have a good day doing whatever it is that you do, okay?
    (that bold was added by me, too)

I'm going to assume you just misunderstood my post and aren't really as angry and defensive as you sound in response to a question about something you wrote on your website.

So let's try again:

Your website discusses IMA vs. EMA. You then specifically mention that IMA strengthens the internal organs and increases lymphatic circulation.

I am curious how IMA does this as opposed to EMA.
    Last edited by IronFist; 05-17-2012 at 10:08 AM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post

Cheers

I think Gene needs to more rigorously enforce the "don't smoke crack right before posting on KFMF" rule...
    What are you talking about? That was wisdom! We just didn't understand because we're not on the same level of development. Don't you know, the more someone speaks in vague concepts, the more advanced they are in their development. It just sounds like nonsense to people like you and me because we're at such a low level of development.

What we need to go do now is to meditate on what he said. Maybe one day we will hope to understand even 1/10 of his genius.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Anyone in my school is Internal.

Anyone standing outside is External.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

This is how you treat the coccyx with external technique:

This is how you treat it with internal technique:

You decide...

smoke crack right before posting on KFMF"
    +

=

My kind of Saturday night.

I think the most important reason is the close relationship between qigong and internal martial arts. Internal martial arts are the fusion of (mostly Daoist) meditation/qigong and martial skills of the battlefield and as far as I know in proper training of internal martial arts both aspects should be equally emphasized. Hard external training and mediation/qigong can both benefit the body(the cardiovascular system,the nervous system, the lymphatic system,...) in different ways and are both necessary. For example hard physical training can improve your blood circulation in general but meditation can help you to relax your muscles and blood vessels so that your cells can absorb oxygen and nutrition more effectively. Another example is how qigong can help you to increase your awareness of your body by improving your nervous system and as a result help the blood flow in places that are normally left out. In my opinion the smart fusion of both internal and external training is what makes internal martial arts special.

This is how you treat the coccyx with external technique:

This is how you treat it with internal technique:

You decide...
    You h ave just beat the inter(nal)net !!

Uh, that's a lot of ass play...

kind of like one of the...cheaper massage joints.
    Kung Fu is good for you.