Thread: Legends of Kung Fu 2012

Legends of Kung Fu 2012

So this year, 2012, seems it going to be in Houston. Who is going?

Also they changed format. Sanshou/Sanda will be on Friday night.

And since I do not know Houston all the well and may not attend due to not being able to take vacation days, I don't think I will be organizing a dinner. This go around.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Took the liberty of splitting your post to an indie thread, xck

That way, people need not muddle through last year's thread to get to this year. For LoKF2011, see here.

Unfortunately, I might have a *major* schedule conflict this year. I will get it sorted with Sifu Jimmy Wong when I see him at KFTC20. Of course, I hope to be there. If I fail to make it, I hope you'll be able to continue our longstanding tradition without me and post some pix here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I gotta admit, I'm still thinking about it.
    My parents live in Houston so no need for hotel.
    The drive is much shorter than Plano and DFW.
    It's a month out from the fight I've been working for in Oklahoma, with big gloves, so the sanshou might be good practice.
    It's what, $80 to compete as long as I apply before July 16? Not too bad.

Might want to give a link to the actual site:
    www.legendsofkungfu.com
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

I will be there since its in Houston =)
    Teo Chew Association: Unicorn Dragon and Lion Dance Team
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團
    http://www.facebook.com/TctLionDance

United States Dragon & Lion Dance Federation
    usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts
    http://www.facebook.com/NoLagX

Wow! That was great.

Sadly, I must miss this year

One of my shidi is getting married. We taught an evening class together and were lion dance partners. I spoke to Jimmy Wong at KFTC 20 and he totally understood.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

My wife and kid are leaving later that week for a 3 week long trip to Japan, so I want to try to spend time with them before they go. Not going to be able to make it.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Let me know when it's in Toronto.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

So...

Did anyone from the forum here go?

Were there nachos?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries
    OK Gene, I'll stop lurking! lol

I went. I have to say, the arrangement in Houston I felt was better than in Plano.

The reaction drills on Friday was a good idea. Seemed better attended.

On Saturday, they decided to not have the Masters' Demo in the morning, and instead, at night at 8pm. This worked out very well for the competitors! Most of the forms and weapons competitions were done by 2:30pm!!!

It was also very great to have it at the Mariott, that is where a lot of the competitors stayed. They got a great deal, $50/night! It was super convenient to just go back to your room in between things, or if you needed to go to your room to get something, it was no big deal.

I didn't stay for Sunday's events, unfortunately. New stuff, along with the Lion Dance competitions, there was also calligraphy and Chinese chess competitions.

One of my students did especially well, he competed in the Advanced Choy Lay Fut forms division and got Gold. He performed a form that I recently created, we call it Jaht Hei Da Kuen (Jumping and Striking Form). He also competed in San Shou for the first time, and lost. Good experience, though. He went back to fight in an exhibition match during the Master's Demo, and did pretty well! Here's the video:

http://youtu.be/vZuNN9VenRg

We missed you, Gene! Don't ever do that again!
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Yea, I'm bummed to have missed it.

I've heard that it was a success from some others that went too.

But I wouldn't have missed that wedding for the world. The bachelor party was the night before and my shidi somehow got the idea that we all wanted to beat him as some sort of hazing (there were several of his kung fu brothers there). So in a drunken frenzy, he got in the center of us and went berserk. We really didn't want to beat him, but we had to oblige. It was his party after all. We promised his bride that there would be no bruises on his face and we kept that promise. So, even though I didn't make it out to Legends, I got a little Kung Fu fix.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips