Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Chi-sao

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeating a position:

Many wc people do not have structure to begin with. Not just a matter of individuals but depends on good teaching, learning. practice and experience. Shortsighted to judge a system by what one sees on available videos. Good structure and dynamics do hold up under pressure.
    Ok, what proof or personal experience do you base this on if not by videos? How many other WC practitioners have you touched hands with? You don't even let people from other schools come visit you, yet you know who has and doesn't have good structure or 'good teaching'?
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Ok, what proof or personal experience do you base this on if not by videos? How many other WC practitioners have you touched hands with? You don't even let people from other schools come visit you, yet you know who has and doesn't have good structure or 'good teaching'?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not interested in a conversation with you. But to answer some of your questions(for the list)---while a trained eye sees some things in videos..."touched hands"? Done plenty of it with people across lineages and styles-not interested in convincing you.Yes- I invite who I want for any purpose I wish..I don;t lecture you on what you do or don't do.I don't happen to be sufficiently interested in your style.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not interested in a conversation with you. But to answer some of your questions(for the list)---while a trained eye sees some things in videos..."touched hands"? Done plenty of it with people across lineages and styles-not interested in convincing you.Yes- I invite who I want for any purpose I wish..I don;t lecture you on what you do or don't do.I don't happen to be sufficiently interested in your style.
    A luxury of private teaching. Many Sifu in my area only allow who they choose into their place, often times just by looking at you they decide to invite you or not. Invitation only, a cultural thing often misunderstood. One restaurant people go to doubles as a kwoon after hours, but the public does not know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
    One restaurant people go to doubles as a kwoon after hours, but the public does not know.
    Now that sounds oh so familiar!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

A luxury of private teaching. Many Sifu in my area only allow who they choose into their place, often times just by looking at you they decide to invite you or not. Invitation only, a cultural thing often misunderstood. One restaurant people go to doubles as a kwoon after hours, but the public does not know.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Used to be true for Gin Foon Mak... and some sifus with restaurants.

Yep, in many cases it seems that certain systems are best taught that way.
    I know a few, my own Sifu is such, as is his brother and they both insist on prio MA training of some sort.
    Though they have made the exception if they saw potential.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Wink

The thing is with most of the people here; they feel like this.

United States Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver, said; “I'm from Missouri. You've got to show me."

Sometime when people hear a person say something they want you to back it up, either physically or with a fact; that’s just the way the world is. Back then, I’ve almost had to show my birth certificate just to prove a point, and I believe no one gets above that. Just my POV.

I can truly appreciate this aspect as I teach privately as well. I know of an owner of a buffet restaurant who does this as well here in the Phoenix metro area. I'd love to run a business like that one day. The cultural aspect is undoubtedly something to be appreciated. It's great to see the culture is maintained around the world.
    World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association

"Obey the natural laws and principles of the universe." ~ Grandmaster Garrett Gee

"Education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society... We must remember intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    For sure. I don't teach kung fu for a living- and don't need to.I don't recruit here either nor advertise
    in telephone directories, Craig lists or whatever. Just have website for basic info- plus word of mouth that's it. Just deeply fascinated with the art and it's application. Application can't tell you what art to choose- but it can tell you what art not to chose. There are many possible choices- I choose and chose wing chun when I had the opportunity to learn it well. Serendipity- location and timing.
    Occasionally, I get a new insight or confirmation in net conversations.

I get a new insight or confirmation in net conversations.
    Still, all hear say without meeting someone about confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    Still, all hear say without meeting someone about confirmation.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Meetings do take place. Depends on who. what when, why . etc. They don't have to be posted on KFO etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Meetings do take place. Depends on who. what when, why . etc. They don't have to be posted on KFO etc.
    My bad, but some do have the temerity without knowing/knowledge or without seeing facts while making judgments without their own fact (otherwise)…

Take care,

Confirmation Joy and I had a nice meeting 2 years ago i think when I was passing through Phoenix.

In fact even though I posted trip on forums looking to get together with folks when in Phoenix only Joy actually arranged a meeting others talked but no showed.

I’ve been in over 12 national chi sao events (don’t mean anything) many years ago and only lost one time (failing to make first place/disqualified/drew blood); so I can relate to meeting people and seeing skill levels at first hand.

Hey Hunt1,

The next time you come through Phoenix and have some time, let me know!
    World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association

"Obey the natural laws and principles of the universe." ~ Grandmaster Garrett Gee

"Education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society... We must remember intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.