A clip of some chi-sao work CLIP

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    ---------------------------------------

Why the rocking and pushing?

joy chaudhuri

Taan-bong-jam, taan-bong-jam, taan-bong-jam... I know somebody's favorite.

As much as I appreciate good PBWSL stuff, which this is, I can not openly lie here and say that's good chisau because from what I am looking at there was little chisau in the drill as it appears to be (what I call) looksau / rotating arm.

Rotating your kiusau on the forearms as you are doing, with the sunken chest and forward intent, is all looksau basics. Being within the contact range all the time has specific purposes too which you are demonstrating skillfully. It's just our language is offkey. The advancing sets you are teaching are specifically PBs /WSLs I would imagine as this is where we have more physical differences.

FWIW This specific drill was a sepciality my Sigung too. There is even footage of him practising like this, and taking it further, step by step into a full fluid interactive drill. We also demonstrated this specific idea at the weekend and the last time we did that (1997) a very well known Master asked my Sifu "what is that?!!" After a small conversation in cantonese the penny dropped

Like I said, it's great to see but I ask 'where does this go next?'
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Same guys different day, jut sao focus....CLIP
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Far different from the chi sao that I do.
    That vid appears to show a considerable lack of structure
    and balance. BTW good structure does NOT imply stiffness.
    The two guys don't appear to be too stiff but there is hardly any structure or balance.
    Before any one gets there dander up, I respect WSL.
    I will leave it at that.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    That vid appears to show a considerable lack of structure and balance. BTW good structure does NOT imply stiffness.
    The two guys don't appear to be too stiff but there is hardly any structure or balance.
    Interesting comments Joy, seeing as the methods shown are very very common within the WSL lineage. I think the structure/balance inconsistency may be due to the 'rushed nature' of some of the advances, as the stepping seems a little basic too.

Basic drills tend to create these bad habits if they are trained for too long without progression. Hence, why I ask where they go from here?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Mind you, I still appreciate anyone sharing what they do like this... it's what we should all be doing to be honest.

More of a 'visual forum' would be much cooler
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    As much as I appreciate good PBWSL stuff, which this is, I can not openly lie here and say that's good chisau because from what I am looking at there was little chisau in the drill as it appears to be (what I call) looksau / rotating arm.

Rotating your kiusau on the forearms as you are doing, with the sunken chest and forward intent, is all looksau basics. Being within the contact range all the time has specific purposes too which you are demonstrating skillfully. It's just our language is offkey. The advancing sets you are teaching are specifically PBs /WSLs I would imagine as this is where we have more physical differences.

FWIW This specific drill was a sepciality my Sigung too. There is even footage of him practising like this, and taking it further, step by step into a full fluid interactive drill. We also demonstrated this specific idea at the weekend and the last time we did that (1997) a very well known Master asked my Sifu "what is that?!!" After a small conversation in cantonese the penny dropped

Like I said, it's great to see but I ask 'where does this go next?'
    Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Far different from the chi sao that I do.
    That vid appears to show a considerable lack of structure
    and balance. BTW good structure does NOT imply stiffness.
    Before any one gets there dander up, I respect WSL.
    I will leave it at that.

joy chaudhuri

Another ..... CLIP

Another ..... CLIP
    Ah! A little more fluid and advanced which is good

Gworsau exchanges like shown are filled with individual personality, but these still look very like PB and WSL to me. Still good though as this is what I tend to see everywhere, in every lineage, when it gets down to more free sparring.

It's like the methods of Wing Chun are being used, but with the personality of an ancestor! Still better than chatting all day though...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Exchanging using the skills, no kicks CLIP

One BIG criticism with this particular clip (sorry dude!) but even my own kids would deck this guy with their shadowless kick to the nuts lol! So good job there are no kicks allowed here.

Again remember what I said... some of these drills can create bad habits
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

----------------------------------------
    good-grief.

joy

I'm gonna state something that will probably come out the wrong way, LOL!
    I have a "friend" that does WC, he is a teacher.
    He has trained guys that have fought and been sucessful in boxing, MT and MMA.
    He is kind of a "rebel" and is on the "outs" with the WC "community" here because of his "fight first" mentality.
    He believes that if you can't fight with your WC VS any and all other systems, then take up taiji ().
    I have personally seen a couple of his guys going against MMA guys in training and they do very well.
    Why do I mention this?
    Here comes the controversy:
    One of the first things he did when he started training guys to deal with other systems and such was to STOP CHI SAO, at least how it is typically done.
    He said all it did was create some pretty bad habits that get you "killed in a real fight vs a non-wc fighter".
    When I asked about those that DO chi sao and were know to be good fighters he said that was a case of "in-spite of" not "because of".

After seeing most chi sao videos and most chi sao, I think he is probably right.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The one dude is a poster child for WCK chi sau.

Lack of shirt says "look at my muscles".

Glasses on says "but I understand theory too". Obviously he is not too concerned with getting punched in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    The one dude is a poster child for WCK chi sau.

Lack of shirt says "look at my muscles".

Glasses on says "but I understand theory too". Obviously he is not too concerned with getting punched in the face.

What do you think of his haircut ? Is that okay ....?
    Last edited by k gledhill; 05-17-2012 at 11:05 AM.