Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Chi-sao

Please may they soon learn to stand up straight.

WC doesn't need a back curl, it's counter to good centerline. Naturally happens as you get older, but doesn't have to if you keep after it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    Please may they soon learn to stand up straight.

WC doesn't need a back curl, it's counter to good centerline. Naturally happens as you get older, but doesn't have to if you keep after it.
    Result of inward elbows....

Who's students are these?
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Result of inward elbows....
    Not going to say it doesn't contribute, but you can keep an upright back and have your elbows in.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Interesting comments Joy, seeing as the methods shown are very very common within the WSL lineage. I think the structure/balance inconsistency may be due to the 'rushed nature' of some of the advances, as the stepping seems a little basic too.

Basic drills tend to create these bad habits if they are trained for too long without progression. Hence, why I ask where they go from here?
    Hi Spencer, I disagree with you regarding the practice of basic drills (someone else posted something similar a while ago about wall bag practice). Without any reference to the clip, any basic drill that develops bad habits is a poor drill and should be discarded full stop. If a drill teaches or develops an attribute then that attribute should be valid and prolonged practice should simply make it sharper and better. I frequently enjoy going back over the most basic of drills. In Wing Chun as with most martial arts training IMHO is cyclic, folks strive to learn the hidden secrets and the advanced techniques and drills, always wanting more, moving on, leaving the basics behind. Normally in Japanese and Korean styles the enlightenment comes a few years after the first black belt and folks either leave dishillousioned or else realise that the true keys to any art are the very basics that they had been in such a rush to leave behind and go back and train them again but from an elightened position. IME this is a never ending circle in that the longer you train the more enlightened you become and the more the basic drills and techniques grow in importance.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    Not going to say it doesn't contribute, but you can keep an upright back and have your elbows in.
    Totally agree, as someone who is taller than most of the folks I trained with coming through SNT etc I developed a tendancy to hunch and stoop the shoulders. First time in HK the first thing they all picked up on was my posture and I was quickly corrected. Standing straight without rounding the back helped my shoulders to relax immensely and freed up my posture, not to mention from an application angle it pulled my head further out of range and suddenly my reach was actually an advantage again.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Hi Spencer, I disagree with you regarding the practice of basic drills (someone else posted something similar a while ago about wall bag practice). Without any reference to the clip, any basic drill that develops bad habits is a poor drill and should be discarded full stop. If a drill teaches or develops an attribute then that attribute should be valid and prolonged practice should simply make it sharper and better.
    You make a very good point Ian, but I was strictly talking about the later clip creating bad habits in their mobility which wouldn't really be an issue if there had been some further development of the drill and possibly more attention to their stepping and placement.

I still drill Tanda to this day and I know it has big benefits So I agree totally that we carry our basics with us forever. Wouldn't be Wing Chun otherwise IMHO
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

It amazes me that Kevin posts all these clips (not one of which includes sparring or hard contact) but then says its just a drilling stage where we perfect what we get wrong in sparring…if this is the case surely there should be just as many clips of full on sparring as there are of the drilling stage…..
    Oh and LMAO at Wayfaring I was going to comment on the whole glasses and shirt thing thing but didn’t want Kev to delete the thread like he normally does when people don’t go wow and start PB nutriding

It amazes me that Kevin posts all these clips (not one of which includes sparring or hard contact) but then says its just a drilling stage where we perfect what we get wrong in sparring…if this is the case surely there should be just as many clips of full on sparring as there are of the drilling stage…..
    I have to admit, ive always wondered why the video camera doesnt seem to be available when the sparring happens...... maybe it has a chi-sao only mode set to on

Oh and LMAO at Wayfaring I was going to comment on the whole glasses and shirt thing thing but didn’t want Kev to delete the thread like he normally does when people don’t go wow and start PB nutriding
    Yeh, the whole shirt thing of is a bit odd

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    I have to admit, ive always wondered why the video camera doesnt seem to be available when the sparring happens...... maybe it has a chi-sao only mode set to on

Yeh, the whole shirt thing of is a bit odd
    Ill be honest here, I don’t care if people don’t want to post clips of themselves sparring or training, but if you interested enough to post clip after clip after clip of chi-sao drilling and say its only part of your training and hit at heavy sparring being done …they why can’t you show that?
    The shirt was funny, the glasses funnier lol as someone with really bad eyesight I know first hand if any type of head contact is going to be made you put your contacts in, take them off (it’s a sensitivity drill so you don’t really need them right?) or you put the basketball style special shock glasses on , you only wear your normal glasses if you know no contact is going to be made, and what drill worth its salt doesn’t have some form of contact threatened?

I have genuinely forgotten I have had glasses on when doing chi sau. But 'accidents do happen', so they came off when I realised.

Okay guys, I have undeleted the thread.

All I ask is that you try to keep on topic regarding Chi Sau. .//

If you don't I will post a pic of me with no shirt on and you don't want that...................................trust me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Totally agree, as someone who is taller than most of the folks I trained with coming through SNT etc I developed a tendancy to hunch and stoop the shoulders. First time in HK the first thing they all picked up on was my posture and I was quickly corrected. Standing straight without rounding the back helped my shoulders to relax immensely and freed up my posture, not to mention from an application angle it pulled my head further out of range and suddenly my reach was actually an advantage again.
    Tall guys unite!

I had a lot of the same stuff going on which I didn't really start to sort out until I started my internal training (bagua and especially wudang sword). Posture is everything in TCMA.

At least your having fun.

Cheers

We can't feel the temperature in the room. It could have been hot. I didn't hear any A/C or fan going. And maybe the guy hasn't had his glasses knocked off yet, so hasn't realized it's not a good idea to wear them during chisau.

It's stupid to discuss these unknown things. Criticize their structure, principles and method here instead, and some useful conversation may arise, as has kind of been started.