Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THIS is PAD work

THIS is PAD work

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

No comments?

No youtibe here at work and i'm hesitant to click on it at home knowing the types of things you post on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    No youtibe here at work and i'm hesitant to click on it at home knowing the types of things you post on here.
    Its an excellent clip of MT pad work.

good stuff. i like how the pad guy kept him on his toes with un scheduled attacks. even when he turned away for a moment to collect himself he turned back to being kicked with a roundhouse. he kept the pressure on pretty consistantly. good resistance. had just enough offense to keep him ready. 4:00 is nice. clinch and knee
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    good stuff. i like how the pad guy kept him on his toes with un scheduled attacks. even when he turned away for a moment to collect himself he turned back to being kicked with a roundhouse. he kept the pressure on pretty consistantly. good resistance. had just enough offense to keep him ready. 4:00 is nice. clinch and knee
    Good man.
    See, that is ( and I hate to use the word) ALIVE pad work.
    The holder actually fights back.

he was really feeding him some good knees now and then too. he has on shin guards but nothing to stop the sting of those knees, provides some good core conditioning for the trainee too!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Nice work. Good resistance
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Can't see the video.

Is it Ajarn Chai? He's probably the best pad feeder i've ever seen.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

nice work, guy took a while to get warmed up...but then he is Thai lol

lovely feeding of the pads to keep the guy guessing, and the clinch work, well its a thing of beauty

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    nice work, guy took a while to get warmed up...but then he is Thai lol

lovely feeding of the pads to keep the guy guessing, and the clinch work, well its a thing of beauty
    Too many times coaches turn pad work into a "walking heavy bag" routine and it's not suppose to be that way.
    You should be "sparring" the pad holder, he should be countering you, trying to hit you, kick you, clinch, bump you anything to get you moving, defending and attacking.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Too many times coaches turn pad work into a "walking heavy bag" routine and it's not suppose to be that way.
    You should be "sparring" the pad holder, he should be countering you, trying to hit you, kick you, clinch, bump you anything to get you moving, defending and attacking.
    two kinds of pad work i hate, stationary pad work as you say above, and slap happy padwork where the feeder moves the target into you and slaps your pads, messes with timing and distance

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    two kinds of pad work i hate, stationary pad work as you say above, and slap happy padwork where the feeder moves the target into you and slaps your pads, messes with timing and distance
    I can't express my hatred of that type of pad work, no words suffice.
    I don't even know what is being trained when doing that and the explanations I have heard have not made any sense whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I can't express my hatred of that type of pad work, no words suffice.
    I don't even know what is being trained when doing that and the explanations I have heard have not made any sense whatsoever.
    pad work for me teaches timing, distance, reaction, focus and all that is lost when slap happy cr&p happens, dont mind you moving into the punches slightly if you want to absorb some force, but that's it or else im off to work the heavybag.............

I fancy myself a bit of a pad holder.
    I'm always trying to get better.

When it comes to repetitive combos, a lot of times, a fighter really only wants to throw a certain combo, or we need them to work on something to fix it. I agree that mindless throwing is silly, but it's not always going to be super freestyle. Sometimes we're trying to work a particular counter to a certain technique. If they're having trouble getting it or if they need more practice to make it smooth, then it's going to require repetition.

A lot of times I have to call the shot for them to throw first, because the trainee doesn't recognize what I'm holding. Other times, I have to call the shot I'm throwing first, because they don't realize they have to defend/counter what I'm throwing.

In other words, the kind of rapport that trainer and fighter have takes time.
    They have a system they've been working on for a while.
    You can't really throw someone into that first round; especially if they are new.
    There are some trainers that will catch whatever is thrown - i'm working towards this, but it's often hard to get the trainee to throw without being prompted.

I really need to teach more people how to hold.
    If my coach is not around, there really are only like 2 guys that can hold for me.
    Sad thing is a lot of guys don't even want to learn.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting