Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our time with hendrik Santo sifu

Blog Entries

Our time with hendrik Santo sifu

Hi everyone,

Here is a brief write up about my visit and training with Hendrik santo sifu in San Jose over the last few days!

For a few years now like most of you I have been trying to understand What the heck HS was talking about in regards to terminologies such as 6 directional force vector, momentum handling, snake engine, hua jing and a few other things. I also have a good friend sifu Michael Mc Ilwrath from the Fut sao wing chun linage whom also shared my curiosity concerning HS and his wing chun approach. So we finally decided to visit HS at the same time and once and for all find out directly.

I arrived in San Jose last Thursday night but came in pretty late. I was expectating to see my friend sifu Mike back at the hotel room because he arrived a few hours earlier than me. When i knocked on the hotel door I got a very pleasant suprise. Not only was i greeted by sifu Mike but Sifu Hendrik santo was also there. I couldn't help but get the feeling that I just interupted a very intense wing chun conversation so I felt like i missed out on quite a bit. but i got right in there and we ended up talking for another couple of hours.

The next day and every day that we were there we spent training and discussing wing chun at Hendrik's house. Hendrik was extremely humble and had a great sense of humor. He also shared the same passion for his art as we did. He spoke to us with no reservation explaining every details of his art and approach, it was quite refreshing compared with some other wing chun people i've met in the past whom held back so called secrets. He was without a doubt one of the most intellegent wing chun person that i ever met. Everything he showed us can be explained very clearly.

Every day that we were there we spent between 6-8 hours training and discussing wing chun and philosophy.

What i really enjoyed was the direct feeling of the Gong and energy flow that HS introduced us to via his 5 layers of training which can be felt immediately.

We also learnt his 4 core chi sao cycle and got a chance to see his SLT set.

My greatest thanks and appreciation to Hendrik, GM CHC Yik Kam and the ancestors for preserving such an incredible art.

Hendrik thank you so much for the time you spent with us.
    Last edited by kung fu fighter; 05-22-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Navin-thanks for the good report.

Hendrik has his own POV. But there is nothing fake or phony about him.

I met him in San Jose years ago when I had gone there for a Friendship Seminar with folks from other wing chun groups. He was also a good host for lunch and a visit to his house.

He did his sil lim tao and showed me martial wc sketches from Emei.

I enjoyed the Friendship seminar held at Ben Der's school followed by a luncheon group which included Ken Chung- and separate visit with Hendrik at a good vegetarian eatery and chatting and showing and seeing at his house.

joy chaudhuri

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    I enjoyed the Friendship seminar held at Ben Der's school followed by a luncheon group which included Ken Chung- and separate visit with Hendrik at a good vegetarian eatery and chatting and showing and seeing at his house.
    joy chaudhuri
    We also visited sifu Ben Der's school, real nice bunch of guys out there. i enjoyed the backyard school atmosphere.

Navin, Mike,

You both are very welcome. Thanks for keep me company for the week end!

Joy,

Time flies so fast since our meeting!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    Hi everyone,

Here is a brief write up about my visit and training with Hendrik santo sifu in San Jose over the last few days!

For a few years now like most of you I have been trying to understand What the heck HS was talking about in regards to terminologies such as 6 directional force vector, momentum handling, snake engine, hua jing and a few other things. I also have a good friend sifu Michael Mc Ilwrath from the Fut sao wing chun linage whom also shared my curiosity concerning HS and his wing chun approach. So we finally decided to visit HS at the same time and once and for all find out directly.

I arrived in San Jose last Thursday night but came in pretty late. I was expectating to see my friend sifu Mike back at the hotel room because he arrived a few hours earlier than me. When i knocked on the hotel door I got a very pleasant suprise. Not only was i greeted by sifu Mike but Sifu Hendrik santo was also there. I couldn't help but get the feeling that I just interupted a very intense wing chun conversation so I felt like i missed out on quite a bit. but i got right in there and we ended up talking for another couple of hours.

The next day and every day that we were there we spent training and discussing wing chun at Hendrik's house. Hendrik was extremely humble and had a great sense of humor. He also shared the same passion for his art as we did. He spoke to us with no reservation explaining every details of his art and approach, it was quite refreshing compared with some other wing chun people i've met in the past whom held back so called secrets. He was without a doubt one of the most intellegent wing chun person that i ever met. Everything he showed us can be explained very clearly.

Every day that we were there we spent between 6-8 hours training and discussing wing chun and philosophy.

What i really enjoyed was the direct feeling of the Gong and energy flow that HS introduced us to via his 5 layers of training which can be felt immediately.

We also learnt his 4 core chi sao cycle and got a chance to see his SLT set.

My greatest thanks and appreciation to Hendrik, GM CHC Yik Kam and the ancestors for preserving such an incredible art.

Hendrik thank you so much for the time you spent with us.
    Hey Navin,

Great account of how your trip went. I spoke to Mike briefly earlier today and he had nothing but excellent and noble things to say about Hendrik. My only complaint is that I wish I could have attended.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Hello Hendrik.. Thank you again for spending so much time and sharing your art with us. I had a great time and learned a lot. I just wish I could had more time to train with you. I will keep in contact..
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

Mike,

Great to know you and you are welcome!

Guys!

Remember one thing. There is no Hendrik....

;-)

The knowledge preserved by the Yik Kam family is a priceless treasure.

Hello from Gulao,China!

Jim
    Jim

Jim,

How is koolo?

Quote Originally Posted by nasmedicine View Post
    Hey Navin,

Great account of how your trip went. I spoke to Mike briefly earlier today and he had nothing but excellent and noble things to say about Hendrik. My only complaint is that I wish I could have attended.
    Joseph,

Both Mike and Navin known the Yik kam transform process and the 1850 yik kam WCK salutation. They are now an excellent source if you like to know about my lineage and research.

This is the type of energy flow we talk about . Hahahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sftuxbvGwiU

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    This is the type of energy flow we talk about . Hahahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sftuxbvGwiU
    Ahh, the circle of life. You make a good impression.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    Ahh, the circle of life. You make a good impression.
    The yik kam transform give life to the robot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Joseph,

Both Mike and Navin known the Yik kam transform process and the 1850 yik kam WCK salutation. They are now an excellent source if you like to know about my lineage and research.
    Brother Hendrik,

I will definitely be keeping in touch with them to try and pick up some of the finer points you have so graciously shown them. Especially the health related sets. I will let you know of my progress.

- Nirav Shah
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung