Quote Originally Posted by Treznor View Post
Right then... In light of all the recent Chi Sao discussions, I thought I'd get one started.

I've been training WSL VT for 9 months or so now and have done some (not a lot though) chi sao.

The way we've been shown keeps everything very tight and central and everything I've been shown and told makes sense and seems to work well in class.

Over the weekend I managed to roll with someone from a totally different lineage (Sam Kwok WC to be more precise) and his style was TOTALLY different... arms wide apart, no structure (as far as fixed elbow positions etc are concerned at least)... but it seemed to be working well for him.

Now I understand that a) he's been training for years as opposed to me training for months and b) there are always going to be trade-offs to some degree or another depending on technique, but I was wondering what sort of technique do you all use?

Mat
A good teacher and good chi sao will show you your own 'zero point' within your structure which, of course, is different for everyone. Often, most WC teachers will pursue making copies of themselves and/or the students desire to be robots as well. I see this as being one of many conflicts and confusions of the multiple lineages coming down through Ip Man. To truly see structure in someone you have to look past the superficial and look at the big picture of their body unity and triangle structure.

Arms wide apart isn't a disqualifying factor, arms not supported by the body is. I oft times wonder this fascination with pulling the elbow in so tight. It doesn't improve your structure but actually weakens it if you pull in too far. Try this. Go in front of a mirror and be square on to it. Make a V shape with one of your arms(there's a zero point within that too but maybe another time). Now move your elbow outside of the shoulder and gently apply pressure with your other hand inwards towards your center. Now with the same pressure being applied slowly move your elbow inwards to that tight point you were shown within your lineage. Now if you're being honest with yourself and are in tune with your body, I guarantee you that you will feel muscle tension in your upper arm on two sides of that spectrum and knowing what I know about how far WSL guys pull in their elbow I'm sure you will feel it at the point you were shown to pull in to.

Your zero point is where you feel the least amount of tension. That's the big picture look and is one part the individual, one part body mechanics. If you can start to develop this way of looking at things early on in your development you will progress much further in the long run.

Hope that helps....