Thread: Ku yu cheung disciples

Ku yu cheung disciples

Hi everybody. My name is Andres and I am from Argentina. This is my first post in the forum. Apologize me for my limited english. I would like to ask about the Xing Yi chuan and Pa Kua chuan learnt by Master ku yu cheung (Gu ru Zhang) from Master Sun lu Tang. By Reading different webs i found that the only disciple who learned and taught these styles was Master Yim Shan Wu. Neither Master Lung Chi cheung, nor Lai Gan qing nor Chen Xian Min supposedly learned this styles with this master.
    ¿Can anyone confirm this information? In case it is correct, do this mean that Master Yim Shan Wu was the more advanced Ku yu cheung student? ¿ or May be it was for another reason?
    I have a lot of respect for all these great masters and their lineages. The aim of my question is just to clarify the lineage history.

Thanks very much.

Best regards

Here is a good place with good info.
    http://www.jingmo.org/

There are several members here with direct lineage to KYC.
    Perhaps they will volunteer more information for you.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Hi David.
    I have already read that web. great info there!
    I was expecting that may appear some extra info about this issue.

Thank you very much for your help

Yim Shang Mo I believe is the recognized style bearer for KYC's Kung Fu teachings.
    But he had many students who learned a little or a lot depending on their own proclivity towards learning.

There is also Chan Kwok Wai who was a student of KYC and class mate of Yim Shang Mo and several other fairly well know classmates and Kung Fu colleagues to Yim Shang Mo.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    Hi everybody. My name is Andres and I am from Argentina. This is my first post in the forum. Apologize me for my limited english. I would like to ask about the Xing Yi chuan and Pa Kua chuan learnt by Master ku yu cheung (Gu ru Zhang) from Master Sun lu Tang. By Reading different webs i found that the only disciple who learned and taught these styles was Master Yim Shan Wu. Neither Master Lung Chi cheung, nor Lai Gan qing nor Chen Xian Min supposedly learned this styles with this master.
    ¿Can anyone confirm this information? In case it is correct, do this mean that Master Yim Shan Wu was the more advanced Ku yu cheung student? ¿ or May be it was for another reason?
    I have a lot of respect for all these great masters and their lineages. The aim of my question is just to clarify the lineage history.

Thanks very much.

Best regards
    Yim Shang Mo was Great Master Ku's closest student and probably his greatest repository of his gung fu knowledge. There are several groups around the world from the YSM line who practice Hsing Yi, Bagau Elements (I don't know of any group claiming a Sun-Ku line bagau practice) as well as a Ku attributed Tai Chi variation. Many of the innovations related to his exposure to Hsing Yi, Bagua and Tai Chi are interspersed through out the advanced Northern Shaolim training forms. There those who would contend that these training forms predate GM Ku but my resources state that the ten forms are a result of his effort to organize his learnings into a consistant, coherent, teachable curriculum for the benefit of future generations. If you are in Argentina the Derenzo Brothers are from this line and should have information pertaining to your question.

Best wishes.
    Last edited by Lokhopkuen; 06-10-2012 at 04:43 PM.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Lokhopkuen,

Thanks for the info.

I believe that GM Chan Kowk Wai s lineage claims a Sun-Ku -Yim shan wu pakua lineage. At least part of their pakua. The other part coming from Fu wing fai through his father GM Fu zheng zhong.
    I have also read that Master Kam Yuen learned pakua form GM Wong Jack Man ¿Do you know if this is correct? Do you know which pakua familiy this master knows and from whom he learned? Perhaps the same as GM Chan kowk Wai.

Thanks again for your help

Yim Shan Wu was the most senior of Ku Yu Cheung's students. Fu style bagua was a commonly practiced style amongst students and contemporaries of Ku's because Ku Yu Cheung, Fu Zhen Song, and Sun Lu Tang were all friends and exchanged knowledge at different times in the early 20th century. They were considered to be among the greatest martial artists in China after the National Wushu Fighting Examination in 1928.

Wong Jack Man was among Yim's top students. He had begun his studies under Master Yim at age 7 and was considered to be a prodigy. So much so that he was given a letter of recommendation from Yim Shan Wu to go and study under Ma Gim Fung who was Shun Yu Fung's most notable student. I'm not sure where he learned it, but Wong Sifu knew Fu style bagua. I know most of his senior students (my sihing's) learned Fu style mainly from Lin Chao Zhen. I know Peter Ralston learned a little bagua from Wong but generally he didn't teach it. Wong Sifu did teach Sun style Hsing Yi which, if I'm not mistaken he either learned from Yim Shan Wu or Ma Gim Fung (or both). I'll have to check on that. He also taught Ku's Tai Chi which was developed because of the interrelations between Sun Lu Tang, Fu Zhen Song, and Ku Yu Cheung. All three men traded knowledge and developed their own Tai Chi forms.
    Last edited by Siu Lum Fighter; 06-21-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

Quote Originally Posted by Siu Lum Fighter View Post
    Yim Shan Wu was the most senior of Ku Yu Cheung's students. Fu style bagua was a commonly practiced style amongst students and contemporaries of Ku's because Ku Yu Cheung, Fu Zhen Song, and Sun Lu Tang were all friends and exchanged knowledge at different times in the early 20th century. They were considered to be among the greatest martial artists in China after the National Wushu Fighting Examination in 1928.

Wong Jack Man was among Yim's top students. He had begun his studies under Master Yim at age 7 and was considered to be a prodigy. So much so that he was given a letter of recommendation from Yim Shan Wu to go and study under Ma Gim Fung who was Shun Yu Fung's most notable student. I'm not sure where he learned it, but Wong Sifu knew Fu style bagua. I know most of his senior students (my sihing's) learned Fu style mainly from Lin Chao Zhen. I know Peter Ralston learned a little bagua from Wong but generally he didn't teach it. Wong Sifu did teach Sun style Hsing Yi which, if I'm not mistaken he either learned from Yim Shan Wu or Ma Gim Fung (or both). I'll have to check on that. He also taught Ku's Tai Chi which was developed because of the interrelations between Sun Lu Tang, Fu Zhen Song, and Ku Yu Cheung. All three of men traded knowledge and developed their own Tai Chi forms.
    Ma King Fung (Ma Gim Fung) was my sifu's BSL teacher. He ran a school in Alberta in Canada and his son Dan teaches in Vancouver now I think.
    Kung Fu is good for you.