Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to recognize GOOD Wing Chun?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    When they fight, they win AND it looks like the Wing Chun THEY do in training.
    Don't disagree with the second part but saying someone's Wing Chun is good only if they win is a poor yardstick IMHO. You can have poor Wing Chun and win if you are lucky or the other guy is poor, or you can have great Wing Chun and lose if you get unlucky or the other guy is great. No martial art makes you invincible.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

The only way to recognize good wing chun is when it bites you in the @$$!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Well, there are a lot of boxing exercises designed to develop attributes for fighting. These exercises are quite different than fighting.

Jump Rope
    Speed Bag - 3 kinds
    Heavy Bag
    Ropes - duck under

What does look the same as fighting?

Good Pad Work
    Shadow Boxing
    Sparring
    Exactly!

Similarly, a big part of WC training is for the development of certain attributes used in fighting, but NOT fighting moves/postures themselves. Much like, jumping ropes develops lightness and stamina which is useful in fighting but if a boxer skips around in that posture would just be comical.

Many of the WC postures/moves used in real fights are equally comical.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

How to recognize Good Wing Chun ?

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Don't disagree with the second part but saying someone's Wing Chun is good only if they win is a poor yardstick IMHO. You can have poor Wing Chun and win if you are lucky or the other guy is poor, or you can have great Wing Chun and lose if you get unlucky or the other guy is great. No martial art makes you invincible.
    wingchunIan , so what you ' re really saying is it does ' nt matter if the wing chun technique is good or bad . If the atttacker throws a right straight punch towards your face and you use a block of your choice to block the punch and you strike , if the timing is off you can miss the punch and still get hit ? So it ' s like saying you and the attacker and punch eachother out ?

And if you ' re able to block the attackers' punch with the block of your choice and punch the attacker in the face , then that ' s good wing chun then , is that what you ' re saying ?

Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    wingchunIan , so what you ' re really saying is it does ' nt matter if the wing chun technique is good or bad . If the atttacker throws a right straight punch towards your face and you use a block of your choice to block the punch and you strike , if the timing is off you can miss the punch and still get hit ? So it ' s like saying you and the attacker and punch eachother out ?

And if you ' re able to block the attackers' punch with the block of your choice and punch the attacker in the face , then that ' s good wing chun then , is that what you ' re saying ?
    think you need to read my post again mate. What i was saying is that even the most gifted Wing Chun fighter can lose a fight (as can any other martial artist) it doesn't mean that their Wing Chun is no good, it just means that circumstances at the time lead to them losing. They may have excellent Wing Chun but the other person has better x, y or z. They may be awesome on 95% of occassions but could be feeling ill or be exhausted, or may slip at the vital moment or hell even just have a bad day at the office (which happens in everything). Of course if you always lose then something is clearly wrong.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Well, good wing chun should at least increase the chances for survival, eh?
    And most certianly anyone can win on any given day and that is WHY "one fight" does NOT a fighter make.
    Consistency is the key.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The better the VT, the less it needs to break it's own rules in combat to get the job done.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Recognizing good wing chun?

If one knows what to look for...

Structural yeegeekimyeungma based unity of the body which adjusts
    as needed in motion.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    If one knows what to look for...

Structural yeegeekimyeungma based unity of the body which adjusts
    as needed in motion.

joy chaudhuri
    Thats exactly what id be looking for as well

How to recognize Good Wing Chun ?

think you need to read my post again mate. What i was saying is that even the most gifted Wing Chun fighter can lose a fight (as can any other martial artist) it doesn't mean that their Wing Chun is no good, it just means that circumstances at the time lead to them losing. They may have excellent Wing Chun but the other person has better x, y or z. They may be awesome on 95% of occassions but could be feeling ill or be exhausted, or may slip at the vital moment or hell even just have a bad day at the office (which happens in everything). Of course if you always lose then something is clearly wrong.
    wingchunIan , I read your posts twice , and to me the only way a gifted wing chun fighter would lose is because his opponent was better than him , gifted means you suppose to be good already . Because , in this world always get someone that ' s better than you . You would know your opponent , the minute you come into contact with the person . If you feel that your opponent is better than you , but you give the challenge your best shot , it ' ll give the opponent a challenge and from there it all depends on what happens . If your WC is good , then you should be able to win over your opponent . If your WC is bad then your opponent will have a advantage over you .

There is no circumstances in a fight or challenge it ' s either you lose or win . So that ' s why regardless of how gifted you are in WC it would ' nt hurt to challenge the sifu when possible . Another important thing is experience . I ' ve seen a WC expert lose against a free style kickboxer , it turns out that the kickboxer had more experience in fighting than the WC expert . It was embarrasing for the Wc expert , but that ' s realityh right there . this fight that I ' m talking about was on youtube .

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    When they fight, they win AND it looks like the Wing Chun THEY do in training.
    I'd go with this. There's really no other way to even attempt to judge someone's ving tsun. For me to simply say "oh their forms dont have the same energies as mine and thus are not good" would be narrow minded. The only way to know is to feel their energy/ability/etc.
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Good WC is consistent inside and out (no contradictions on any level).

Good WC (applied) depends on the person, and whether or not the person can leverage the art without compromising it.

I think one of the most important things to look for is having the forward energy and intent when under pressure. A lot of guys when they fight fall apart under pressure and they retreat back or get scared. You've got to maintain your forward energy and you must have intent. Without these things, your Wing Chun will never work well.

The Sifu doesn’t talk about what he can do, or how good he is or even name drop; but only produce while proving his skill level, that’s the real deal.

If he/she can back it up then they wouldn’t have to do what I've just mention.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 06-15-2012 at 04:20 AM.

Good Wing Chun? Some of my thoughts...

Proper observance of personal gravity; no leaning, balanced stance work, upright posture, solid grounding

Proper energetics; use structural energy vs muscle and tension to overcome force, stick when you have to, explosive striking, no over/under commitment

Proper use of space; no chasing hands, tight close quarter mechanics, ability to engage all angles, controls and/or penetrates zones of attack and defense (space/volume), always observe correct facing concepts to measure dis/advantageous positioning

Proper use of bridging; maintains structural integrity without collapsing or overreaching, clearly identifiable contact points: wrist, palm, knife edge, back of hand, forearm - all with functional structure, leverage, and pressure to distort the opponent's center of gravity from any/all angles, disciplined control of range

Proper footwork; strong definitive steps supportive and conducive to whole body structure, application, and occupation of space, move when you have to and stay when you don't have/need to move

To me, good Wing Chun is unique in the MA world, yet through the above points and above all else is expressed in attitude and spirit. Good posts all around. Agree on some points and disagree on other points.
    World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association

"Obey the natural laws and principles of the universe." ~ Grandmaster Garrett Gee

"Education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society... We must remember intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.