Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weng Chun in the ring

Weng Chun in the ring

Check out the vid. This is a student of GM Andreas Hoffman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19jFF...&feature=share
    "The ultimate nature of survival is maintaining your balance"

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    which one was the Wing Chun guy?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

One heck of an overhand right.
    He should watch hi centerline though

I always assumed that Sifu Hoffman's students would be more oriented towards MMA, with His BB in BJJ and all that.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Weng Chun.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Neither.
    As the title indicates, Weng Chun is the art GM Hoffman teaches.
    Its a safe bet to say his guy is the one who did not rag doll in the ring.
    "The ultimate nature of survival is maintaining your balance"

Chin'ed ......over.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    One heck of an overhand right.
    He should watch hi centerline though

I always assumed that Sifu Hoffman's students would be more oriented towards MMA, with His BB in BJJ and all that.
    Nah, a proper Tan Sau would taken care of that overhand right.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Nice overhand right. This is a very common knockout punch - Roy Nelson just hit one this weekend. The overhand right is one that is particularly effective against people who fight up the middle all the time. It is a stealth punch, that unless you are familiar with the motion many times you don't see it coming in. It hits you from what seems like out of the sky.

This had all the elements of a picture perfect setup. It was thrown in a combo - jab, then overhand right. The jab was thrown right after an exchange with a very good jab - it got through the opponent's cover and hit him. Then the follow up jab he evaded to the power hand side - big mistake. He was trying to circle away from the effective jab then got caught. Stepping the other way - flanking the jab makes it a lot easier to see coming across his body and makes it a lot easier to deal with. Also, it is usually at the very outside edge of range, thus slipping it with a shoulder cover works pretty well.

This punch is not something you will ever see doing chi sau. And it highlights the need for sparring against other styles to see what works.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Nice overhand right. This is a very common knockout punch - Roy Nelson just hit one this weekend. The overhand right is one that is particularly effective against people who fight up the middle all the time. It is a stealth punch, that unless you are familiar with the motion many times you don't see it coming in. It hits you from what seems like out of the sky.

This had all the elements of a picture perfect setup. It was thrown in a combo - jab, then overhand right. The jab was thrown right after an exchange with a very good jab - it got through the opponent's cover and hit him. Then the follow up jab he evaded to the power hand side - big mistake. He was trying to circle away from the effective jab then got caught. Stepping the other way - flanking the jab makes it a lot easier to see coming across his body and makes it a lot easier to deal with. Also, it is usually at the very outside edge of range, thus slipping it with a shoulder cover works pretty well.

This punch is not something you will ever see doing chi sau. And it highlights the need for sparring against other styles to see what works.
    People that fight "up the middle' and keep "extended" bridges are vulnerable to the overhand right.
    Whenever one moves to the outside of the jab ( which you should unless you WANT to eat the overhand or cross), one should cover and go IN ( on a 45) or one becomes an ideal target for that cross or overhand.
    Slipping and going under to the body, counter with a lead left hook after angling, angling and countering with with strikes ala Tyson used to do, are all good options.

Actually your misinformed here, on the point of moving in VT sparring and a tactical correlation / movement in chi-sao. Chi-sao creates a random center of a clockface to relate to for moving , relative to a line of force coming at us. A subject lost to the masses while achieving heroic sticky battles of yo-yoing elbows

People that fight "up the middle' and keep "extended" bridges are vulnerable to the overhand right.
    Whenever one moves to the outside of the jab ( which you should unless you WANT to eat the overhand or cross), one should cover and go IN ( on a 45) or one becomes an ideal target for that cross or overhand.
    Slipping and going under to the body, counter with a lead left hook after angling, angling and countering with with strikes ala Tyson used to do, are all good options.
    Yes, simple angling works wonders. Limiting force to your face with a followup that has to readjust first, due to your position following his jab. Distance management along with angle relative to the opponent in real time are a major focus for us. It devlops our following striking too... Iow we reverse role play in sparring to be the angler and/or, the facer . Footwork, balance, being able to deliver ko punches in the mix, essential.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 05-30-2012 at 01:57 PM.

I knew we'd agree on something eventually The most important thing is to get in to range (ie go forward with agression) and go in on angles to avoid being an easily hit target.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

two points we can all learn from this
    1) dont move into the powerhand ever, and if you have to keep you effing hand high and close
    2) sometimes straight line is not the best way to go,

True. Also, for me, Chi Sau is a good platform to throw an overhand right - as well as lots of other things. I don't like 'playing by the rules' once someone is competent in the drill.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    True. Also, for me, Chi Sau is a good platform to throw an overhand right - as well as lots of other things. I don't like 'playing by the rules' once someone is competent in the drill.
    Do you step forwards and back angling in your chi-sao ?