Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The shot in MMA (aka the double leg)

The shot in MMA (aka the double leg)

When done properly is probably one of the safest takedowns you can do in MMA
    That is all feel free to disagree I will not be deleting the thread don’t worry

Blog Entries
    In the beginner level, you may like to use single leg and double leg because it's easy to develop. When you have developed more grappling skills, you will prefer other moves.

You don't need to use both hands to shoot for "single leg". One hand should be enough. Your other hand can do a lot of other things.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-01-2012 at 02:54 AM.

the double leg is probably one of the hardest takedowns to actually get down correctly, but its also one of the most effective

your definition of a single let and mine are different

Blog Entries
    Of course if you can get both of your opponent's legs at the same time, it will be better than to get your opponent's one leg first and then to get his other leg after. Most of the time, your opponent's back leg is too far away from your reach. That's why old Chinese saying said, "Get both if you can, otherwise, get one first and get the other afterward". After you have obtained both of your opponent's legs, your opponent will have no legs left but to go down.

My definition of "single leg" is to capture your opponent's front leg into your hand (or arm).
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-01-2012 at 03:13 AM.

It can be too far away, which is why in wrestling and MMA you quite often shoot a double by going to the knee to get the extra reach, which I believe in chinese wrestling is not allowed correct?
    Yep different from my definition , for me a wrestling single is when you control and throw your opponent with his one leg, ether running the pipe, switching to a high crotch, tripping etc, it starts with both hands on the leg in order to gain control and be able to lift it, and the leg is the focus of the attack: single arm leg lifts don’t work that well the leg is too strong, and if we are talking lifting with the one arm and grabbing the waist with the other for a lift or throw, I don’t count that as a single leg attack but rather a version of the double for me a single leg attack starts and ends with his leg

Get in, get under, get control -lift and dump.
    Poetry in motion.
    It's all about range in my view.
    It works when you are in the range that no expects you to shoot and tends to fail when you are ot of that range.
    And the range I am talking about is grappling range at best and punching range at worse ( though BOTH ranges should be the same).
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Get in, get under, get control -lift and dump.
    Poetry in motion.
    It's all about range in my view.
    It works when you are in the range that no expects you to shoot and tends to fail when you are ot of that range.
    And the range I am talking about is grappling range at best and punching range at worse ( though BOTH ranges should be the same).
    so true, my wrestling coach teaches it from a collar tie up (that close) my MMA coach from hook punch distance, but both say the same thing if you cant touch the other guy you shouldnt be shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    so true, my wrestling coach teaches it from a collar tie up (that close) my MMA coach from hook punch distance, but both say the same thing if you cant touch the other guy you shouldnt be shooting
    And that, boys and girls, is why ANYTIME you see a "defense" for the shoot being done VS a guy OUTSIDE "punching/clinching range", it is a pretty silly defense that will work only the worse of "shooters".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    And that, boys and girls, is why ANYTIME you see a "defense" for the shoot being done VS a guy OUTSIDE "punching/clinching range", it is a pretty silly defense that will work only the worse of "shooters".
    yep there's a reason wrestlers sprawl, because if the shots done correctly he is in under your hips before you can react and you have to THEN defend as best you can

Blog Entries
    It can be too far away, which is why in wrestling and MMA you quite often shoot a double by going to the knee to get the extra reach, which I believe in chinese wrestling is not allowed correct?
    It's allowed in Chinese wrestling but not too many Chinese wrestlers like to use it because the rule set. In Chinese wrestling, if any 2 points of your body besides your feet touch the ground, you lose that round. When you apply single and double, your body is so close to the ground. It's very easy for your oponent to put a bit downward pressure to force your hand, elbow, or knee to touch the ground. That will give your opponent an easy round and you don't want to do that.

Here is a picture to show that one guy shoots in and his opponent (my teacher) dragged him down and won the round. It's clear to see that his opponent had one hand and one knee on the ground and that round ended right there.

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/3...ournament1.jpg

The referee in the above picture was Wang Zi-Ping.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wang_Zi-Ping
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-01-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    The wrestling single and double came from "sport" wrestling that kick and punch are not allowed. In "combat" environment where everything are allowed, the

- 抄(Chao) - under hook,
    - 圈(Quan) - over hook,

are much safer than shooting. After you have tangled your opponent's arms, he cannot punch you at that particular moment.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-01-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The wrestling single and double came from "sport" wrestling that kick and punch are not allowed. In "combat" environment where everything are alowed, the under hook, over hook, ... are much safer than shooting. After you have tangled your opponent's arms, he cannot punch you at that particular moment.
    i believe they came from catch originally where strikes were allowed

if the shots done right he wont be punching you he will be too busy trying not to fall on him bum

Blog Entries
    single arm leg lifts don’t work that well the leg is too strong,
    When you push your opponent's upper body and make him to lean back, his leg will come off the ground and into your hand. There won't be much weight in that leg at that particular moment. Since you need one of your hands to do the "pushing", you have only one hand left and you can't afford to use both hands to reach to your opponent's single leg.

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/2...terfootswe.jpg

IMO, how to make your opponent's leg to come into your hand is more important than how to reach to your opponent's leg. The goal may be the same but the pathes to get there are different.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-02-2012 at 04:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    When you push your opponent's upper body and make him to lean back, his leg will come off the ground and into your hand. There won't be much weight in that leg at that particular moment. Since you need one of your hands to do the "pushing", you have only one hand left and you can't afford to use both hands to reach to your opponent's single leg.

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/2...terfootswe.jpg

IMO, how to make your opponent's leg to come into your hand is more important than how to reach to your opponent's leg. The goal may be the same but the pathes to get there are different.
    I like to control the chin and lever back to get that leg, sometimes.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    I like to control the chin and lever back to get that leg, sometimes.
    The

1. 托(Tuo) – chin,
    2. 摀(Wu) – face,
    3. 封(Feng) – Throat,
    4. 抹(Mo) – forehead,
    5. 捅(Tong) - shoulder,
    6. 蓋(Gai) - upper arm,
    7. ...

are all good contact points for "push". Since one will need one hand to push, Chinese wrestlers don't like to use both hands to grab the leading leg.