Thread: Question about women in the Dojo...

Question about women in the Dojo...

We have several high ranking female Sensei at my dojo. They are very good at teaching and very thorough with techniques. Honestly, without them we would not have a dojo. My art incorporates hard and soft style arts and at the risk of sounding sexist, girls seem to be inherently good at soft style. I have noticed something the last few years and that is whenever any of the men spar or grapple with the girls that we try to treat them very gently. The women occasionally conclude sparring with telling us why they had been so dominate and the things we could have done better. Are we giving them a false sense of confidence? I know that it's not likely any of them will ever be attacked but the fact is, that if they do, it will most likely be by a male. Any thoughts?

When peeps walk through the door of my training hall, sexual differentiation stays outside the door. We beat the hell out of women the same as we do men. And you know what? In over 30 years of teaching I have NEVER had a woman complain of rough treatment or quit because of it.

Most women who come through the door want to be treated as an equal and realize they are entering a potentially dangerous environment. They enjoy the fact that they are respected and love the opportunity to beat the hell out of a few men.

I never soften or dummy down training for anyone. Keep up or I can point you to the McDojo three blocks away.

Yep, sounds like your school has created some women with false security. It is not uncommon. I have seen it in other schools before. The best thing you can do for them is start giving them reality checks. Unfortunately, at this point they will probably become angry when you shatter their illusion and they realize that part of their training was a sham.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 06-02-2012 at 06:15 AM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    When peeps walk through the door of my training hall, sexual differentiation stays outside the door. We beat the hell out of women the same as we do men. And you know what? In over 30 years of teaching I have NEVER had a woman complain of rough treatment or quit because of it.

Most women who come through the door want to be treated as an equal and realize they are entering a potentially dangerous environment. They enjoy the fact that they are respected and love the opportunity to beat the hell out of a few men.

I never soften or dummy down training for anyone. Keep up or I can point you to the McDojo three blocks away.

I like that philosophy. I've thought about this from time to time but Thursday I was sparring a female Sensei and went to trap a kick. I guess it was harder then she expected and she went down. It made we wonder how she would fair if I was trying. It's not the first time either. Grappling is the same thing it's as if we were on the mat with children. The guys give feed them submissions and somehow the girls think they earned them.

You should train with women the same way you would with a man their size.

Take out just enough to win.

What do you consider sparring?
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    It seems some who go to schools want to learn to defend, some to fight, some to have a safe/friendly social outlet-environment,...or to stalk.

When teaching English as an other language I like to get what the student wants from the lessons. Then teach the lesson with examples geared to the student's learning goal.

If it's for fun then go on as fun and play framed in fighting. But if it's defense save their lives and virtue if they need defense improvement technique and or or strength let them learn in class safely instead of surprize quiz outside of a class setting.

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Treat them all the same!

Sounds like y'all have done them a serious injustice by not going at them like you would one another. I've been thanked by woman for hitting them in the dojo because at other schools no one could do it?? I have this one partner my Sifu matches me up with that is bigger then I am, and we were doing drills on defense. She had this notion of going head on with me and not trying to work my sides/back. I finally got her out of her shell and started to get into it, until I tagged her and she just stopped because no "guy" had ever hit her back. 4 years later she has learned how to go at it and I really feel sorry for the guy that decides to do her harm.

Women want equality, but they still want to be treated like a woman when it comes to being abused physically. Average man against an average woman, no fight at all to it. He would kill her outright in a serious real fight unless he had something serious wrong with him.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Average man against an average woman, no fight at all to it. He would kill her outright in a serious real fight unless he had something serious wrong with him.
    But we are not talking "average women". We are talking about training women who can block out pain and fear, and are taught to fight mercilessly. Anything less will fulfill your scenario. But NEVER assume that a woman cannot be taught to not only hold her own, but dominate a man in a self-defense situation. I am not talking about patty-cake sparring here.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    But we are not talking "average women". We are talking about training women who can block out pain and fear, and are taught to fight mercilessly. Anything less will fulfill your scenario. But NEVER assume that a woman cannot be taught to not only hold her own, but dominate a man in a self-defense situation. I am not talking about patty-cake sparring here.
    Given the rest of your natural life, I seriously doubt you would ever find the one you speak of. Women are fierce and without mercy as an enherent part of their makeup, but physically they can not withstand the brutality and the pain. They are masters of giving pain in many different ways, but I have never seen one that would last more than a few seconds even with me. The movies today portray women as fighting like men, with strength and speed just like a man, but this is just in the movies. Take Gina what's her name. They make her look like she was invincable. I seen her lose to another woman and it took the wind out of her sails. Nothing super human there.
    In a compitition where there are lots of rules to protect her, and of course where shivery might also be involved, she might be able to shine. But in an all out confrontation, no.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Given the rest of your natural life, I seriously doubt you would ever find the one you speak of. Women are fierce and without mercy as an enherent part of their makeup, but physically they can not withstand the brutality and the pain. They are masters of giving pain in many different ways, but I have never seen one that would last more than a few seconds even with me. The movies today portray women as fighting like men, with strength and speed just like a man, but this is just in the movies. Take Gina what's her name. They make her look like she was invincable. I seen her lose to another woman and it took the wind out of her sails. Nothing super human there.
    In a compitition where there are lots of rules to protect her, and of course where shivery might also be involved, she might be able to shine. But in an all out confrontation, no.
    Yeah, I'd love to see you give birth...3 times. You'd tap out on the first contraction
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    Yeah, I'd love to see you give birth...3 times. You'd tap out on the first contraction
    LMFAO. Awesome.

Can't withstand pain? That's bullcrap if I ever heard it. Women actually have a much higher tolerance for pain which is why you see men passing out from just freakin' tattoos but I've never heard of/seen a woman do it as they're built to do things such as child birh. Are they built for strength though? No, so yes, a woman can usually be taken out by a man because they typically just don't have the strength. This can be overcome with training though.

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    When I was ~14, I had a compound fracture of my left arm (both radius and ulna) When the doc set it, one guy held my feet, another guy held my shoulders down and the doc set it. No pain killers, no local, nothing. I tried to scream/cry, but nothing came out.

After it was set, he told me that's the pain women go through for childbirth