365 - N.A.S.A. Answering Service (1973)

By Mister K (Mat Camison)

Heard in:
    Enter the Fat Dragon

Suzuki's Theme

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    357 - Fist of Fury Soundtrack, "Suzuki's Theme"

Note:
    I always prefer to find the original source of any music tracks that I include in this thread. However, in some (or many) cases, this task is very difficult. This track was very obviously borrowed for use in Fist of Fury (where it is most familiar). As I've done with some other tracks, I'm adding this track now, and hopefully I (or someone else) can identify its original source at some future point.

This track is heard in:
    Fist of Fury
    Dragon Inn (1967)
    Shaolin Martial Arts
    And others...
    Hi.
    I found it.
    Source music of "Suzuki's Theme" is "Spell of the Unknown" by Roger Roger.
    This track is a library music from "The Valentino Production Music Library" records.
    You can find best quality of this track on "The Blob (and other creepy sounds)" soundtrack CD.
    This CD includes bonus tracks as "The Valenthino Production Music Library" from original master recordings.
    https://youtu.be/gRFkVfl3QaQ
    Last edited by takeboh; 07-28-2016 at 03:38 PM.

Greetings takeboh,

Thank you for your contribution.

The Valentino Production Music Library is a fairly recent cataloging of vintage music. There is nothing to say about the origin of "Suzuki's Theme" except that it has been used in a lot of old films. The u tube description mentions the film "Cuna de Los Lobos". That flick (series) only goes back to 1987. The Score for the movie "The Manster" is not at all disjointed and suggests a ebb and flow of orchestration that flows into "Suzuki's Theme" and not a score that had said theme suddenly thrown in for good measure.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings takeboh,

Thank you for your contribution.

The Valentino Production Music Library is a fairly recent cataloging of vintage music. There is nothing to say about the origin of "Suzuki's Theme" except that it has been used in a lot of old films. The u tube description mentions the film "Cuna de Los Lobos". That flick (series) only goes back to 1987. The Score for the movie "The Manster" is not at all disjointed and suggests a ebb and flow of orchestration that flows into "Suzuki's Theme" and not a score that had said theme suddenly thrown in for good measure.

mickey
    Thanks.
    First release of "Spell Of The Unknown" might be Roger Roger's "Major Productions Music (#59)" library LP , which was released from Major Records (Thomas J. Valentino Inc) in '60s.
    track list:
    https://www.discogs.com/Roger-Roger-...elease/6671723
    LP info:
    http://www.popsike.com/ROGER-ROGER-L...438906452.html
    Last edited by takeboh; 07-29-2016 at 09:11 PM.

Hi takeboh,

I really had to catch myself onthe piece you presented. It may well be that the particular track used in FOF/BB came from Roger Roger if only we could get a date for that piece. I was looking more at the origin of the music than anything else. Still a good find.

Thank you again,

mickey

takeboh:

Many thanks for the contribution!

Also thanks to brucelu!
    Last edited by Jimbo; 07-29-2016 at 04:38 PM.

366 - Come Back, Charleston Blue (1972)

Liberation (by Donny Hathaway)

Heard in:
    None but the Brave (a.k.a., Kung Fu Girl)

367 - The Prince and the Pauper (a.k.a., Crossed Swords; 1977*)

*This movie was released in 1977, not 1978*

Canty's Fight (by Maurice Jarre)

AFAIK, the only way to hear this track on youtube is by watching the part of the movie where it's used. The track 'Canty's Fight' begins @ 3:20, and is heard in:
    The 36 Crazy Fists
    The Dragon, the Hero
    And others...

takeboh:

Many thanks for the contribution!

Also thanks to brucelu!
    Hi.
    A few additional informations about "Spell Of The Unknown" used for "Suzuki's Theme".

"Spell Of The Unknown" is one of stock music composed by French composer Roger Roger(1911-1995) for French broadcasting station.
    This score is listed as "Spell Of Unknown" on Roger Roger official French web site (rogerroger.fr).
    I can't judge this "Spell Of Unknown" is original French release name, or mistake by web site.
    Anyway, "Spell Of The Unknown" is original name in US.
    Copyright of this score is RTF Music Publishing Corp in Valentino Library of "Blob" soundtrack CD by Monstrous Movie Music and old "Major Productions Music" LP.
    "RTF" means French national public broadcasting organization: Radiodiffusion-Télévision Françaisee (Radio-Television France).
    According to official web site, Roger Roger composed many stock music scores for RTF in '50s-'60s.
    Recorded date of "Spell Of The Unknown" is not grasped on official web site, but it seems to be somewhere in '50s.
    RTF was selling license of own music library at a low price. In the US, Thomas J. Valentino Inc. got license and commercialized as "Major Productions Music" by Valentino's record label Major Records.
    "Spell Of The Unknown" is heard in "Major Productions Music #59" LP, out in late '50s - early '60s.
    I don't know this disc number "59" means "Vol. 59" or "year 1959".
    According to liner notes of "Blob" CD, "Spell Of The Unknown" was used in 1962's US movie "The Brain That Wouldn't Die", and it was combined with bloops and bleeps on the 1962's Seattle World's Fair album "Man In Space With Sound" to create the cue "Soaring Science".

According to a book about Andy Milligan's horror films "Gutter Auteur" written by Rob Craig, "Spell Of The Unknown" was also used in Milligan's "The Rats Are Coming! Werewolves Are Here!"(1972).
    From the book:
    - The all-too-familiar music is from Milligan's cherished Major Mood Music record from the Thomas J. Valentino music library; among identifiable cues are Roger Roger's "Dreaming Awake," and "Spell of the Unknown," two of the most widely used cues in the library music canon. -

HK Golden Harvest likely used this Major/Valentino library LP for "Fist Of Fury".

takeboh
    Last edited by takeboh; 08-05-2016 at 05:26 PM.

Great info, takeboh! Thanks a lot!

368 - Hawaii Five-O (1969)

Intro theme (by The Ventures)

Heard in:
    Drunken Master Dollar Fist (a.k.a., Kung Fu for Sale)

369 - Kimamagurashi No Onna (1971)

"Kimamagurashi No Onna" (Unrestrained Girl) by Chiyo Okumura
    A Japanese pops from Chiyo Okumura's EP "Syuchakueki"(Terminus).
    Music: Kyohei Tsutsumi / Lyric: Yu Aku / Singer: Chiyo Okumura

Heard in:
    Tower Of Death (The Game Of Death II)

Sample listening on official CD store:
    http://meg-cd.jp/products/detail.php...1&s=index.html
    Last edited by takeboh; 08-06-2016 at 12:04 AM.

370 - L'Avventuriero (1967)

Agguato Notturno (by Ennio Morricone)

Heard in:
    The Kid with a Tattoo
    And many others...

Good Afternoon everyone,

I joined specifically for this thread. I have about 200 of these 70's kung fu movies on DVD and have always been curious about where the various music came from. I found so many through this thread already and I would like to thank you guys for your research.

There are still two themes that I am looking for.

The first one is the intro theme to "Shaolin Avengers", the Shaw Brothers movie with the All-Star cast. This theme also plays through various parts of "Along Came a Tiger" with Wang Tao. Particularly, when he appears before a fight and when his "Sacred Weapon" is found after he's made a mysterious exit.

The second one is also heard in "Along Came a Tiger", when the main female villain sets her female fighters up in formation against two guys from town who demand more money from her. Wang Tao is in the bushes watching. It is heard a second time when Wang Tao later has to face the formation himself.

The second theme I'm talking about I've mainly heard in "Shaolin Traitorous", with Carter Wong, Chang Yi, Sammo Hung and Polly Kwan. In the movie, Chang Yi is the main bad guy and Sammo Hung is his right hand man. It starts off with Carter Wong as a boy, witnessing Chang Yi, Hung and a third commander kill his parents. So, throughout the movie, the theme plays whenever he has flashbacks about that day.

These two seem to be the only two I haven't found yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 08-29-2016 at 03:31 AM.

The Excellector:

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

At this time, I do not know the original sources of those tracks, but if I find them, I will post them up, unless someone else happens to know them and posts them first.

*Edit to add:
    I believe that first track you are referring to is from "Shaolin Temple" (a.k.a., Death Chamber, 1976), and not "Shaolin Avengers".
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-27-2016 at 01:41 PM.

The Excellector:

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

At this time, I do not know the original sources of those tracks, but if I find them, I will post them up, unless someone else happens to know them and posts them first.

*Edit to add:
    I believe that first track you are referring to is from "Shaolin Temple" (a.k.a., Death Chamber, 1976), and not "Shaolin Avengers".
    Do you recognize the other one though, from "Shaolin Traitorous"?

You were right, the first theme was from Death Chamber.