Thread: Names of Wing Chun techniques/concepts

Names of Wing Chun techniques/concepts

Early in my training I was told that Wing Chun used to have poetic, cryptic names for it's techniques and concepts but that they were replaced by simple descriptors to make learning easier. This simplification was attributed to Ip Man but I would assess that if it was all that recent then many mainland systems would still use the original names.

For example, Jum, jut, tan, fuk etc all relate to an action or intent (they are verbs rather than nouns). This makes it easy to know what (energy) to train. Bong sau is, of course, the obvious exception to that rule in that bong describes the shape because bong has many different possible intents/actions depending on the requirement (I call it Wing Chun's swiss army knife - there is a bong sau for every occasion but, like a swiss army knife, there may be a better tool for that individual job...)

Anyway, I digress. I gather that YKS still have names like 'White crane seizes the fox' and 'swimming dragons' etc. Does anyone know more about this or even know/still use the old names if they even existed?

I can not speak for Yik Kam lineage, but as for my own learning, yes I learnt using chinese literature as a base for our curriculae.

What I found interesting was that the terms made more common by Ip Man actually didn't turn up that often in the classical kuit.

And fwiw I wouldn't get caught up in the 'bongsau' swiss army knife scenario because that's all rather embarrassing to be honest. The difference between names of 'technique', 'methods' of practise and 'concepts' to assist understanding are vast. I find many lineages have decent glossarys of technical information and even the conceptual kuit, but very few have any serious method language.

You maybe right though, the mainland does still use certain language as I have seen evidence of it in the modern Wushu promotions of Yong Chun Quan
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Get the yik kam transform and see how wingchun 1850 is first hand. Things are much more complex then the present day presentation IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Get the yik kam transform and see how wingchun 1850 is first hand. Things are much more complex then the present day presentation IMHO.
    So how is it any better in a combat sense?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    good question but i think the question should be how could they be much more complex,...... 6 pages on what the bong sau is for for lords sake....!

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Respect your opinion- but I beg to differ. Wing chun kept on evolving evn after 1850-
    some in good directions some in not so good directions (missing "internal" factors).

joy chaudhuri

Oooohh!

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    (Long sound of sliding rubber) Did I hear breaks?