Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Alan Orr Chi Sao to Gor Sao clip.

Alan Orr Chi Sao to Gor Sao clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpKncYG7rUk

New Clip today. This is Chu Sau Lei Wing Chun. It may be different to some others. Just sharing my clip.

Nice clip, but I just want to ask if in this particular clip you and your student were going free style... or were you playing the role of the aggressor, while your student was simply stood on the defensive?

If the latter is the case then great clip. If the former, then it came across to me that your student was perhaps afraid or holding back (likely out of respect for you, his sifu?) In either case thanks for sharing.

Btw, I understand that you two are not "going all out", in case there was any confusion.

- Cheers
    Last edited by nasmedicine; 06-10-2012 at 06:24 PM.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

A lot of leaning on your partner and pressing on his arms with your upper body.
    You can see that your heels often come of the ground, a sure sign that you're "falling" forward while pushing/hitting with primarily your upper body strength.

Although this obviously works for you, it may not work for a weaker person against someone who is stronger. The goal, in my opinion (and with all due respect) is to use the principals of leverage and not brute strength to gain advantage.
    This can only come through respecting certain body principals, like vertical alignment and "fixed elbow".

Quote Originally Posted by nasmedicine View Post
    Nice clip, but I just want to ask if in this particular clip you and your student were going free style... or were you playing the role of the aggressor, while your student was simply stood on the defensive?

If the latter is the case then great clip. If the former, then it came across to me that your student was perhaps afraid or holding back (likely out of respect for you, his sifu?) In either case thanks for sharing.

Btw, I understand that you two are not "going all out", in case there was any confusion.

- Cheers
    Yes this is free style. Sai is one of my top students. He was trying to attack. As he is very good I stepped it up for him, otherwise at his level if would be the other way around if I came down a gear. Funny as a beginner and a advance student can look the same once they are a few steps behind. This was part of his test so I was not giving him a chance as such.

Sai was not holding back, when we glove spar I do get hit more, in Chi Sao as we have bridge contact I have a few more gears they my students.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Orr View Post
    Yes this is free style. Sai is one of my top students. He was trying to attack. As he is very good I stepped it up for him, otherwise at his level if would be the other way around if I came down a gear. Funny as a beginner and a advance student can look the same once they are a few steps behind. This was part of his test so I was not giving him a chance as such.

Sai was not holding back, when we glove spar I do get hit more, in Chi Sao as we have bridge contact I have a few more gears they my students.
    Usually a fan Alan, but not one of your better clips

Quote Originally Posted by Sean66 View Post
    A lot of leaning on your partner and pressing on his arms with your upper body.
    You can see that your heels often come of the ground, a sure sign that you're "falling" forward while pushing/hitting with primarily your upper body strength.

Although this obviously works for you, it may not work for a weaker person against someone who is stronger. The goal, in my opinion (and with all due respect) is to use the principals of leverage and not brute strength to gain advantage.
    This can only come through respecting certain body principals, like vertical alignment and "fixed elbow".
    I am not leaning I have issuing. It I was leaning he would be able to take my balance. We use our whole body, thats not brute strength it is applied strength and power. They girls I teach and smaller guys have great power. The elbow is not fixed as it must be able to move. The control of the elbow is key.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Usually a fan Alan, but not one of your better clips

That's okay. Its just a real clip of real training for our system.

I know we train and use our wing chun in a way that some people would disagree with, which is all cool. I just like to put out a different view for people to see.

I see so many clips that show wing chun that would never stand up under any pressure so I like to show wing chun in action rather that demo clips of chi sao drills.

That's okay. Its just a real clip of real training for our system.

I know we train and use our wing chun in a way that some people would disagree with, which is all cool. I just like to put out a different view for people to see.

I see so many clips that show wing chun that would never stand up under any pressure so I like to show wing chun in action rather that demo clips of chi sao drills.
    Fair enough Alan, but the guy never throws a punch back at you

Fair enough Alan, but the guy never throws a punch back at you
    As I said it was part of his test. So I never gave him the chance. The pressure I give into his structure is like a pinning pressure. It makes it hard to counter or to feel you you have balance or position to attack back from. Also once the gears go up it hard for others to stay in the game.

As I said it was part of his test. So I never gave him the chance. The pressure I give into his structure is like a pinning pressure. It makes it hard to counter or to feel you you have balance or position to attack back from. Also once the gears go up it hard for others to stay in the game.
    Yeh, i get that, but theres plenty of opportunities for him to throw some punches back. Around the 1.00m onwards he just covers up (he even looks down a lot) when theres big breaks in any contact.

Yeh, i get that, but theres plenty of opportunities for him to throw some punches back. Around the 1.00m onwards he just covers up (he even looks down a lot) when theres big breaks in any contact.
    Yes of course, I am sure he would say the same. Not so easy sometimes. He was under some pressure at the time.

Yes of course, I am sure he would say the same. Not so easy sometimes. He was under some pressure at the time.
    How long has he been training?

Blog Entries
    Hi, i have been a lurker on this forum for some time and thought on this occasion that i would comment. I am also a student under Alan Orr Sifu and have trained under him for almost 8 years. I have played chi sao with my teacher many times and it is very difficult to land any shots/destroy his structure when he is playing his "a" game. Trust me, i DO try to control/hit him when im playing chi sao, if i wasnt trying he would probably put me under more pressure and insist i DO try to hit him.

We dont do compliant chi sao in the Chu Sau lei system, its just not our way.

Sai Jun Mak is one of my kung fu brothers and is highly skilled, my teacher in this clip is simply not allowing him any openings. If he did im sure Sai would have taken them.

Chris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpKncYG7rUk

New Clip today. This is Chu Sau Lei Wing Chun. It may be different to some others. Just sharing my clip.
    I would have liked to see a bit more angled footwork, which tends to be the "answer" to chi sao, but I have always liked how the CSL system is aggressive with their pressuring in their clinch work.
    I think he was respecting you too much Alan
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

How long has he been training?
    10 Years +

8 Years with me