Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Alan Orr Chi Sao to Gor Sao clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I don’t see anything he’s doing wrong and choose not to, because he’s just doing what he does.

I would beat my student silly if they don’t try to hit me back, all of my students are told to hit me and hit for real, the only reason why it looks like they're giving me respect is; because they can’t get pass my defense…

Offenses is only and mostly crap to me; because anyone could throw a good punch, but can one stop a punch for real with good structure ; when it really counts.

That’s what’s up,
    Agree, nice.

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    True, even boxers argue over the finer points in a hook; but Alan, more people should agree with you. If not the technical detail but at least on your approach. You got my vote.
    Many thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SJrVX2Nr68

In this clip I am giving my student less pressure and more time to react.

This was our normal learning pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    To people like Wayfaring and Sanjuro Ronin, why does this clip of training footage get a mostly free pass (minus some gentle ribbing about a non responding student) when much better clips of chi/gor sau are ripped to shreds for not being full on fighting?

Alan is even allowed to state nonchalently that this is just his normal training and that he is trying to get away from all the normal BS wing chun from people that don't even train (when in fact all wing chun people do chi/gor sau and most do sparring).

Maybe you are all acting a bit like Alan's student in the clip?
    Yep, if it was Kevins clip of him belting a student around they'd be all over him ike a bad suit

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Yep, if it was Kevins clip of him belting a student around they'd be all over him ike a bad suit
    post the clip

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Orr View Post
    post the clip
    There isnt one, its a hypothetical

There isnt one, its a hypothetical
    Oh right. Bit of a pointless example then.

Oh right. Bit of a pointless example then.
    Not at all.

Alan, ive always said i have liked your stuff.... i just wasnt a fan of that clip.

Guys point was, and i agreed, that if it was anyone other than you (i used the example of Kevin) that the response from forum members would have been different.

Not at all.

Alan, ive always said i have liked your stuff.... i just wasnt a fan of that clip.

Guys point was, and i agreed, that if it was anyone other than you (i used the example of Kevin) that the response from forum members would have been different.

That's all cool.

But if it was a clip that was not by me, then of course opinion's may be different. It would be a different clip. I can't see the point in the comments about that.
    Last edited by Alan Orr; 06-14-2012 at 05:03 PM.

It's all down to opinion too which is better or not. That's why some will like what I do and other will like other methods. Of course you have made clear your dislike to me in other posts so it would be no surprise that you would like this clip.

Please post your clips so we can see what would be better.
    I don't dislike you and I respect the contest achievements of your team of people.

I am just highlighting the way people are responding to this clip vs the way they respond to other clips of chi/gor sau when any objective person would agree that there are better (and worse) chi/gor sau clips on youtube.

My point is really about the attitudes of a faction of people of the forum, not about your clip.

To people like Wayfaring and Sanjuro Ronin, why does this clip of training footage get a mostly free pass (minus some gentle ribbing about a non responding student) when much better clips of chi/gor sau are ripped to shreds for not being full on fighting?
    I don't know, man, I'm just giving my impression. Post up "better clips of chi/gor sau" and I'll give you my impression of those too. Post up why you think they are better too.

In general I like drills and sparring that train people for motions that happen in real fighting. Thus the motions would be how someone would look in real fighting. When I see clips that show a bunch of pitty pat slapping like motions that someone couldn't use to free themselves from a wet paper bag, then I usually don't like it.

Oh, I don't know. It's not rocket science to spot fighting skill. Even the old man on our MMA team that fights roosters and drives people cross the country for fights could probably get it about 95% right watching clips.

I don't dislike you and I respect the contest achievements of your team of people.

I am just highlighting the way people are responding to this clip vs the way they respond to other clips of chi/gor sau when any objective person would agree that there are better (and worse) chi/gor sau clips on youtube.

My point is really about the attitudes of a faction of people of the forum, not about your clip.
    What you are highlighting is you don't agree with the other comments. People can make their own views. You don't have to sit on the fence. Not all things are objective if you feel you can see an answer. That's people's opinions. On the whole I always have excellent feedback. Only a few of the same people have the same few comments. Which is all fine, but then telling others they must have the same view is a different thing altogether. I am not sure of the point in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    I don't know, man, I'm just giving my impression. Post up "better clips of chi/gor sau" and I'll give you my impression of those too. Post up why you think they are better too.

In general I like drills and sparring that train people for motions that happen in real fighting. Thus the motions would be how someone would look in real fighting. When I see clips that show a bunch of pitty pat slapping like motions that someone couldn't use to free themselves from a wet paper bag, then I usually don't like it.
    Yes I would agree on that 100% I see so many wing chun demo's that are just so far away from the real thing.

What you are highlighting is you don't agree with the other comments. People can make their own views. You don't have to sit on the fence. Not all things are objective if you feel you can see an answer. That's people's opinions. On the whole I always have excellent feedback. Only a few of the same people have the same few comments. Which is all fine, but then telling others they must have the same view is a different thing altogether. I am not sure of the point in that.
    No one told anyone they should have the same point of view, it was personal views that were expressed.
    And in this thread the people that have questioned your clip arent the same people that have challenged you previous clips.

So to use your line, i dont see the point of you bringing that up