Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

Thread: Alan Orr Chi Sao to Gor Sao clip.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Compare the leg actions, path, angle, power source & direction, contact, overall function, etc..
    Hey, i hadnt got there yet!

I was starting with the top half of the body ,which most people seem to forget/disregard in regards to kicking,at their peril if they want to kick properly, regardless of style.

Youd disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Hey, i hadnt got there yet!

I was starting with the top half of the body ,which most people seem to forget/disregard in regards to kicking,at their peril if they want to kick properly, regardless of style.

Youd disagree?
    Well no, but from the waist down in the actual leg action is where the most obvious differences appear.

Well no, but from the waist down in the actual leg action is where the most obvious differences appear.
    Not in all styles, a lot user their uper body very differently.... i personally find the way MT and WC use the upper half very similar.

Question, you fight/kick with one leg forward?

Question, you fight/kick with one leg forward?
    Depends on the position I'm already in. The second diagram below shows different footwork positions for the kick, either neutral or one foot forward.

Here are my examples of the VT dang-geuk as I do it. You may find a good example of the MT teep to offer in comparison:

Explanation starting @2:12. Contact point is heel, or whole sole, rather than the ball: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkbJnQbkxHk

Diagram showing kicking path, leg extension, and reactionary force results (Fig. 3 correct VT dang-geuk, "ascending kick". Fig. 1 more like the MT teep, "push kick").

Diagram showing footwork and angle of the leg/foot at contact. Rather than having the foot vertical, the foot is angled outward. If the knee is pointing upward and doesn't bend, when blocked on the outside you will be spun out. This outward angle prevents that result by having the knee at an angle in which it can bend and circle back for a low waang-geuk/shin bite/forward step to maintain rooting and continue attack.
    Last edited by LFJ; 01-27-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Compare the leg actions, path, angle, power source & direction, contact, overall function, etc..
    very much depends on the kicks in question. Jic gerk is very, very similar in action, shape and application to the Neb kick found in MT. The MT teep extends the hips far more, extends the knee, has the knee more vertical and makes contact with the balls of the toes.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    very much depends on the kicks in question.
    WSLVT dang-geuk & MT teep.

WSLVT dang-geuk & MT teep.
    No, im sure i just said front kick., Teep being one of them

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    very much depends on the kicks in question. Jic gerk is very, very similar in action, shape and application to the Neb kick found in MT. The MT teep extends the hips far more, extends the knee, has the knee more vertical and makes contact with the balls of the toes.
    Youve lost me on the terms there Ian, but i se you realise that there is more than one expression of the front kick in MT, and in my line of WC as well

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Lmao ~ ! I had a "boxer" come up to me the other day at my gym ( Gleasons ) after watching us VT sparring and doing drills. He asked me ( friendly ) how would I deal with a right punch, I stood up and asked him to hit me like we would be in a face off. As he moved in I kicked him square in the midsection. He said it was the last thing he expected and was caught totally off guard. If I had unloaded on him as I have in real fights 100% force , it would look like he got hit with a shotgun and flew backwards through the air.
    If you think for a second a 'hook' will give me trouble..people dont realize how many different punching methods I can stop with a simple kick or angling offline to the leading striking arm.
    The best thing about the VT kick is that it is non telegraphic and comes from the same structural positions as we move and angle according to the leading striking arms. You cant see it coming. I can parry AND kick in the same action as your hook. Sadly many if not most VT school teach some kind of omnipotent blocking gate theory, that requires the idiot to stand tough and be a heavy bag doesnt work !
    LAMO reading kevins posts is better than watching an episode of faulty towers, the old just kick a boxer routine and he flys away like being hit with a shotgun……and the whole angling on a hook punch or simply kick them again…of course no one sets a hook punch up off a combination these days or gasp counter with them, they throw singular wild hooks which you can matrix like sway out of the way of or simply kick them before it lands, LMAO
    Heres a thought Kevin since you spend every day in the boxing gym showing them how good wing chun is, why not (instead of posting endless clips of PB doing no contact slappy stuff) actually post you working out with the boxers and showing them the error of there ways????

No, im sure i just said front kick., Teep being one of them
    The kick comparison started with Wayfaring saying Kevin's dang-geuk shares 98% characteristics with the MT teep. I said maybe 2%, then you joined in to compare them.

Depends on the position I'm already in. The second diagram below shows different footwork positions for the kick, either neutral or one foot forward.

Here are my examples of the VT dang-geuk as I do it. You may find a good example of the MT teep to offer in comparison:

Explanation starting @2:12. Contact point is heel, or whole sole, rather than the ball: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkbJnQbkxHk

Diagram showing kicking path, leg extension, and reactionary force results (Fig. 3 correct VT dang-geuk, "ascending kick". Fig. 1 more like the MT teep, "push kick").

Diagram showing footwork and angle of the leg/foot at contact. Rather than having the foot vertical, the foot is angled outward. If the knee is pointing upward and doesn't bend, when blocked on the outside you will be spun out. This outward angle prevents that result by having the knee at an angle in which it can bend and circle back for a low waang-geuk/shin bite/forward step to maintain rooting and continue attack.
    Thanks LFJ, ill have a look in the morning and comment

Who drew those diagrams LFJ?

Not sure, but they were on ol' CP's website.

I thought I recognized them. Good old CP......Jack of all trades Master of f*ck all!

....lmao