Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon style

Dragon style

Anyone do any Southern Dragon here or Dragon Pearl.

Seems really hard to get any info on this style...

Or seems quite obscure.

Sifu Mike Doucet is running a retreat at the end of this month that will cover a Loong Ying/Dragon pole set, and Pak Mei hand controls, among other things.

Info can be found at this link if you are interested:

http://www.pakmei.net/announcements/view.asp?ID=22
    -Golden Arms-

random meaningless reply

I had a college buddy that practiced Southern Dragon out of NYC. I remember him doing a garden hoe form that I thought was pretty cool. Interesting style in how they use stepping to enter and occupy your space when they fight. The only thing that I didn't care for was that supposedly if a person practiced long enough, they'd get a concave chest because of how they held their upper body.

Black Tiger,

I have a training sister in Australia her name is Linda Ung she teaches Lung Ying Southern Dragon I believe in Sydney. What is your inquiry on Lung Ying?

Mighty B,

The concave chest part is part of the internal body method. But it should only be applied when executing the techniques and or drills. It is a misconcepting that the Lung Ying/Southern Dragon practitioner always must have a concave chest.

Peter Pena
    Arizona Martial Arts Lion Dance Association

GoldenArms,

For some reason your link wont open when I click. Is the seminar in Canada or Seattle? Thanks.

LTN

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Fist View Post
    Black Tiger,

I have a training sister in Australia her name is Linda Ung she teaches Lung Ying Southern Dragon I believe in Sydney. What is your inquiry on Lung Ying?
    Southern Fist, Linda is in Sydney. You're correct.

Blacktiger, there is/was a Dragon Pearl school in Tassie. I believe it is said to be the only one outside of Malaysia.
    http://web.archive.org/web/200401281...oay/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by LaterthanNever View Post
    GoldenArms,

For some reason your link wont open when I click. Is the seminar in Canada or Seattle? Thanks.

LTN
    LaterthanNeer

The retreat is in Canada, north of Toronto. If the link is not working for you, try going to http://www.pakmei.net/ and on that page click on "Temagami Retreat 2012" in the bottom right hand corner. It would be great to see a few of you there this year.
    -Golden Arms-

Dragon Style

Hi Blacktiger,

I've been practicing the Lung Ying method for about 25 years now, in Winnipeg, MB. Please email me if you have questions...

The Dragon community is actually quite vibrant - small in comparrison to some other arts, but there are many good teachers out there. Many don't advertise on the web though - nobody will ever get rich teaching Dragon Style!

And...greetings to my Dragon Sisters and Brothers! The Dragon appears in a flash of light, only to vanish...

Cheers - AQ
    dragon-kf@mymts.net

Quote Originally Posted by Runlikehell View Post
    Southern Fist, Linda is in Sydney. You're correct.

Blacktiger, there is/was a Dragon Pearl school in Tassie. I believe it is said to be the only one outside of Malaysia.
    http://web.archive.org/web/200401281...oay/index.html
    Thanks to all for the info

The Dragon Pearl school is the one in Tassie I have been hanging out with doing some cross training. I have to say Im really enjoying it.

But yes - its the only one outside Malaysia, but very little info.
    Last edited by Blacktiger; 06-19-2012 at 12:02 AM.

Ah, I see. That's what I figured.

Are you able to give basic descriptions/info about what you've seen so far? I'm curious to see if it bears any similarities to what we know as Lung Ying or if it's just another system with 'Lung' in its name.

I read somewhere that Dragon systems that were called for example 'Fukien Dragon' 'Guangzhou Dragon' were merely Lam Yiu Gwai's system, just named after the area the practitioner was teaching in.

However, since there's not much information on Long Choo I'm unsure if the founder was a disciple of Dai Yuk or of LYG, or it's more than just a variant.

Thanks.

Look to be honest I have not really done that much yet, only a few classes (time wise).

But....

Its semi traditional, they have a few forms (sabre,dragon pole, butterfly knives) from what I have seen/heard - there may be others of course.

But the focus is more on apps, bag, pad/work, sparring. Seems to have a fair component of hand conditioning. Punching phone books with short range inch power etc. No Qigong or internal training to speak of.

My background is Northern Shaolin so for me its all new, but as I said Im really enjoying it. Always good to empty your cup!

My friend in college studied under this master. I appreciate the stepping and power demonstrated in this style.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktiger View Post
    Look to be honest I have not really done that much yet, only a few classes (time wise).

But....

Its semi traditional, they have a few forms (sabre,dragon pole, butterfly knives) from what I have seen/heard - there may be others of course.

But the focus is more on apps, bag, pad/work, sparring. Seems to have a fair component of hand conditioning. Punching phone books with short range inch power etc. No Qigong or internal training to speak of.

My background is Northern Shaolin so for me its all new, but as I said Im really enjoying it. Always good to empty your cup!
    Thought so.

Thank you for the information, some of it sounds similar to Lung Ying.

You're right, it's always good to empty your cup.

Ok..

I just found out from some info they gave me that its Fukien Dragon. Does that make sense?

Not sure what the Fukien denotes however?