Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon style

If it's a variant of Lung Ying, could just be that it is called that because who ever learned it began to teach it in Fukien. That's an origin story I've heard for some branches of Lung Ying.

If it's a completely different system, all I would guess is that it was founded in Fukien and/or is said to come from the Southern Shaolin temple in Fukien.

Fukien is Fujian, btw. If that's what you meant.

I wonder if there's the possibility of it originating from Northern Dragon, and then moving south?

Ok cool thanks for the info...

Yeah im really in the dark so to speak with that side of things.

I will try and get some more info, and when I do will post.

The only other info I have is that its basically a folk line, father to son etc which is why its so small.

That's understandable.

Thanks for that. I had a feeling it might have been passed down that way. It must be pretty small to only have schools that teach it in two countries.

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ao Qin View Post
    Hi Blacktiger,

Many don't advertise on the web though - nobody will ever get rich teaching Dragon Style!

Cheers - AQ
    dragon-kf@mymts.net
    Can you get rich off of teaching any authentic kung fu?

Also one of my teachers teaches Mok gar in San Diego... his site is here.

http://www.sojournpast.com/
    Last edited by Ng Jit; 07-05-2012 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Forgot something about actual southern dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    LaterthanNeer

The retreat is in Canada, north of Toronto. If the link is not working for you, try going to http://www.pakmei.net/ and on that page click on "Temagami Retreat 2012" in the bottom right hand corner. It would be great to see a few of you there this year.
    Man, if I had $1,000 extra lying around I would SO go there. Temagami is beautiful. (But saying it's north of Toronto is a bit of an under-statement. It's north of North Bay.)
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Talking Dragon in San Diego

Hey Gabriel, long time no see. Haven't seen you since Sifu Manny's B-day. How have you been?

Anyway, Sifu Martin and Peter Pena are both in AZ. The school in San Diego is a Bagua school if I am not mistaken.

I hope this helps,

RP2

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    My friend in college studied under this master. I appreciate the stepping and power demonstrated in this style.
    Me likes that form.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I have always liked Lung Ying, Bak Mei, Nam Tong Long Pai(whatever branch) for their structure and power generation.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Ng Jit View Post
    Can you get rich off of teaching any authentic kung fu?

Also one of my teachers teaches Mok gar in San Diego... his site is here.

http://www.sojournpast.com/
    His sight is still up but I've contacted him, he's no longer in SD bummer....

Quote Originally Posted by ittokaos View Post
    Anyway, Sifu Martin and Peter Pena are both in AZ. The school in San Diego is a Bagua school if I am not mistaken.

I hope this helps,

RP2
    You are correct. Who would want to move to AZ?? Its like moving to face of the sun.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    I have always liked Lung Ying, Bak Mei, Nam Tong Long Pai(whatever branch) for their structure and power generation.
    Makes one wonder about how common they all are...common as in descended from a common system.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Man, if I had $1,000 extra lying around I would SO go there. Temagami is beautiful. (But saying it's north of Toronto is a bit of an under-statement. It's north of North Bay.)
    The retreat was great, I put a bunch of pictures up at http://www.appliedcombat.com/?page_id=652 We all had a blast out there.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    The retreat was great, I put a bunch of pictures up at http://www.appliedcombat.com/?page_id=652 We all had a blast out there.
    Grumble grumble grumble...

Lucky...

Grumble grumble.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Makes one wonder about how common they all are...common as in descended from a common system.
    umm hakka roots anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    umm hakka roots anyone?
    Perhaps, or even further back.
    But my point was not the common heritage, but that they all may have had a common "ancestor" from which they all evolved ( based on individual preferences and interpretations of the various masters).
    It wouldn't surprise me of SPM, WC, White Crane, Dragon fist, Pak Mei, Five ancestors, etc, all came from the same root system.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Perhaps, or even further back.
    But my point was not the common heritage, but that they all may have had a common "ancestor" from which they all evolved ( based on individual preferences and interpretations of the various masters).
    It wouldn't surprise me of SPM, WC, White Crane, Dragon fist, Pak Mei, Five ancestors, etc, all came from the same root system.
    if you ever read ginger fists old posts on here, the seed art for him was a hakka art way before it went to the temple to become southern mantis, since both CLC and dragons creator studied the same hakka fist art in their youth its not too hard to think they all come from the same seed fist, was that fist a hakka one brought to the south by the hakka or something else, who honestly knows its been so long all i know is that they are fun to practise