Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Dragon style

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    But there you know the .44 is the better gun that does more damage and is more powerful. The circumstances of course matter greatly as you indicated, but you get me. With mainland vs Hong Kong there's no well this one's the .44 and that one's the .22. I guess its like the age old which would win Wing Chun or Bak Mei Pai? We'll never get a definitive answer, lol...
    If you wanna have a formula to try and "guess" who would win, I suggest:
    Training> person/style>lineage.

On other words, the guy with the better training and fighting experience trumps the guy with less (all things being equal) so, IF one lineage favours actual fighting and testing over anything else, chances are they will produce better fighters.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    Which is more effective and deadly; mainland or Hong Kong style?
    what ronin said

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    If you wanna have a formula to try and "guess" who would win, I suggest:
    Training> person/style>lineage.

On other words, the guy with the better training and fighting experience trumps the guy with less (all things being equal) so, IF one lineage favours actual fighting and testing over anything else, chances are they will produce better fighters.
    Yeah, I should've phrased it with all other things equal the only difference being mainland Bak Mei vs Hong Kong, who'd win. But still can't be answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Alot of people study both arts together (I know I do lol) as they stayed close friends and opened several schools together it’s not that uncommon to find teachers of both

Mantis108 had some good posts on the history of the arts basically CLC studied with three main teachers, one of whom was Lams father or uncle, then formulated bakmei after training with a fourth person in a temple
    Lam trained with his family and then hit the local temples and had an additional 3 teachers, 2 buddhist 1 Taoist and formulated his style

So same base art in their youth hence the simulatires in the two arts, but different finishing teachers hence the differences
    Yeah, I'm familiar with this. Was just going off what I read. It's good to reconfirm information.
    I've studied Lung Ying for a few months now and I'm enjoying every minute of it. Would like to see some Bak Mei too, if given the chance.

I found that post. It's the second one on this page. Make of it what you will.

http://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.p...=9660&start=15

Woah, thats the most technical discussion I ever read on Bak Mei!

Quote Originally Posted by soulfist View Post
    Woah, thats the most technical discussion I ever read on Bak Mei!
    I agree. I know little about Bak Mei so I found it interesting, was nice to read something so detailed.

common origins

Ronin asked a couple of times about the common origin.

Years back we had a discussion with a few folks and came to a conclusion that Southern White Crane, and the 'San Chen' energy is the common thread carried into the more modern arts, the energy applied to Hakka skills and techniques to create the skills in SPM, PM, LY, etc. Pak Mei talks about the emai mountain breathing exercises too.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Thanks for that, Yum Cha. I'm sure I'd heard that somewhere but couldn't recall where. Probably on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Runlikehell View Post
    Thanks for that, Yum Cha. I'm sure I'd heard that somewhere but couldn't recall where. Probably on this board.
    We had a thread on the origins of Pak Mei, there was a great guy in Winnipeg, Ao Qin knew him I believe, he came from the Chow Fook lineage and was very knowledgeable, and 'Shaolin Master', another great practitioner and scholar alike, who has feet on the ground in China and speaks the language, I think they both had a good bit to say. You could probably find the thread, it was years ago.

Cheung Lai Cheun and Lam Yew Gwai were close friends and did a lot together. My Si-gung studied with CLC when LYG was with him in the same facility, and learned the Dragon form from his hand. Lam was a beer keg of a man, Cheung was tall and skinny, and mean. I suspect Lam had a better temperament. Chow Fook and his lineage has both CLC and LYG in the tree, they were the most blended ones to the best of my knowledge. Dragon Style are very friendly with Pak Mei traditionally.

The short armed boxing comes from the Hakka traditions and the family styles, not much influence from the Shaolin side, IMHO. The Faat Ging training comes from the Southern White Crane, which was a much older style, from what I remember. All have the '3 step' exercise which comes back to something or the other. Just speculation based on different guys research, and common knowledge.

I think one Southern Praying Mantis guy said something about a common Monk that taught the SPM Grandmaster and CLC, and some others, but that's getting pretty out there. Still, I've heard it quite a bit.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

I think you are referring to dragon as being part of southern 5 animals. We do a mixture of lung ying forms at my sifu's school such as black,white, and a green dragon wudang form.

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    We had a thread on the origins of Pak Mei, there was a great guy in Winnipeg, Ao Qin knew him I believe, he came from the Chow Fook lineage and was very knowledgeable, and 'Shaolin Master', another great practitioner and scholar alike, who has feet on the ground in China and speaks the language, I think they both had a good bit to say. You could probably find the thread, it was years ago.

Cheung Lai Cheun and Lam Yew Gwai were close friends and did a lot together. My Si-gung studied with CLC when LYG was with him in the same facility, and learned the Dragon form from his hand. Lam was a beer keg of a man, Cheung was tall and skinny, and mean. I suspect Lam had a better temperament. Chow Fook and his lineage has both CLC and LYG in the tree, they were the most blended ones to the best of my knowledge. Dragon Style are very friendly with Pak Mei traditionally.

The short armed boxing comes from the Hakka traditions and the family styles, not much influence from the Shaolin side, IMHO. The Faat Ging training comes from the Southern White Crane, which was a much older style, from what I remember. All have the '3 step' exercise which comes back to something or the other. Just speculation based on different guys research, and common knowledge.

I think one Southern Praying Mantis guy said something about a common Monk that taught the SPM Grandmaster and CLC, and some others, but that's getting pretty out there. Still, I've heard it quite a bit.
    Thanks for this, again. I'll try to find that thread.
    I'd heard about LYG's size/stature. That thread I linked to earlier on speculated that it was the cause of the differing between stances/guard positions in LY compared to Pak Mei, or at least it was referring to the kung fu that both had learned before finalising their respective arts.

I'd heard about the SPM/CLC connection. I wonder if that's just another way of referencing the common Sam Chien origins..

Quote Originally Posted by Runlikehell View Post
    That's understandable.

Thanks for that. I had a feeling it might have been passed down that way. It must be pretty small to only have schools that teach it in two countries.
    Wow this thread has grown!

Ok as promised I found some more info:

http://www.loongchookungfusociety.com.au/lckfs/
    Last edited by Blacktiger; 08-01-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktiger View Post
    Wow this thread has grown!

Ok as promised I found some more info:

http://www.loongchookungfusociety.com.au/lckfs/
    From the info on their website, looks like it focuses more on the Five Animals, or at least the Dragon sets. I'd need to see it, but it doesn't appear to have much in common with LY's history.

Yeah I cant help you on that one.

Although from what I have experienced there is no real focus on animal imitation per-se...

Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktiger View Post
    Yeah I cant help you on that one.

Although from what I have experienced there is no real focus on animal imitation per-se...

Does that make sense?
    Yeah, it does. There may be some parallels. Do they twist the waist while striking?