Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets try a discussion about White Crane Gongfu!

Lets try a discussion about White Crane Gongfu!

Hmmm,

Okay seeing as the other threade got a little off track lets see if we can discuss White Crane as:

1/. A Fighting Art!

2/. An art for Qigong!

3/. An art for health!

4/. An art for art and making good people, better!

Ron Goninan
    China Fuzhou Zhenlan Crane Boxing Australia
    White Crane Research Institute Inc
    http://www.whitecranegongfu.info
    A seeker of the way

Let me start by asking you this Ron:
    Why was white crane developed?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Don't be silly. For the same reason all Martial Arts were developed:
    to give a place for people to wear silk pajamas with dignity.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Don't be silly. For the same reason all Martial Arts were developed:
    to give a place for people to wear silk pajamas with dignity.
    You, sir, have the real "crane engine".

The best white crane going...

Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Because someone was infatuated with white cranes, and thought that if he imitated one he would become one, kind of like Mr "limpid" became a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Is it because the white crane is the king of the jungle ?

Blog Entries
    One of the white crane Fajin is like a crane spreads both wings out at the same time. Can you hurt someone by hitting him with the back of your palms (at 0.08)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyXytfsrM-4
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-18-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    One of the white crane Fajin is like a crane spreads both wings out at the same time. Can you hurt someone by hitting him with the back of your palms (at 0.08)?

You can, but only if he is a sissy. It is a fight style for sissies, by sissies, to be used against sissies. So yes, you can.
    Jackie Lee

This is one of most funny demo I have seen. Called this type of things guru or cult following.

Those who knows Jin. For the case of 1.42. One has only to calmly apply slight down ward pressure on the arm, let go, and do a slap At the arms with ease, the opponents will bounce back out. Not this funny clumsy brute force, force fights against force.... Messy stuffs.

One needs only to press down and then release, make used of the opponents rooting bounce back break its own root and slap him send him bounce back ward.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 06-18-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Horrifc video.
    But as for your question, yes you can take a guy out with a "back of the hand slap"
    That I know YOU know.
    Whatever that guy did in the clip suck big hairy ones.

John:

That was the crapiest video to demonstrate your thought or idea. Ron.... Where are you on all this? People are discussine White Crane and you are not here to rebutle.

SanjuroRonin:

I agree with you on the fact that all Martial Arts roots are Fighting. There is a kinda double edged sword issue that goes along with the fighting arts that I posted in YouKnowWho's Combat VS Health Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    YouKnowWho:

Combat VS Health is a double edged sword.

Combat training, self defense, fighting skills etc.. is the skill to be able to defend yourself from bandits, muggers, attackers etc... also known as: Skills to preserve your life.

Health training is the skill of keeping your mind and body healthy, staying fit and in good shape etc.. also known as: Skills to preserve your life.

What is the difference between dying at age 40 from a mugger or dying at age 40 from a heart attack?

Both skills preserve your life. Both should be trained whether done together or seperate.

ginosifu
    Martial Arts styles were created to stop people from killing your self (preserving your life). Health training preserves your life as well. So when you talk about MA in general, all styles including White Crane may have placed emphasis on health, spirtual, religious and or meditation training.

Again I agree with you 100% that MA should focus on fighting to find the secrets behind your style. Just saying: Whatever floats your boat !

ginosifu

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I believe they recognized the health benefits, later. But back then, longevity meant you outlived your enemies. Even Tai-Chi was a fighting art first. Most of the Fukien, Siu-Lum, and Hakka kuen arts were designed to Fan ching fuk ming.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I believe they recognized the health benefits, later. But back then, longevity meant you outlived your enemies. Even Tai-Chi was a fighting art first. Most of the Fukien, Siu-Lum, and Hakka kuen arts were designed to Fan ching fuk ming.
    I agree.
    It was one of those "happy coincidences".
    Of course as we know, not all systems worked that way and some "trade off" health for combat effectiveness.
    The developer(s) of White Crane took what they knew, pressure tested it in combat and "slapped" a label on it based on, if you go with the legend, what they observed in nature.
    Not going into the "myths" of how the name came to be and focusing on what facts we can asertain based on the practical application of White Crane what we have is a typical "southern hand" system like SPM, Wing Chun, Dragon boxing, five ancestors, etc.
    An in-close, direct system of H2H fighting with primary emphasis on Hands, kicks kept low, strong use of narrow stances such as the "san jan" stance, open hand and specialty fist like the phoenix-eye fist.
    A system designed to be used sooner rather than later, physical conditioning being crucial it uses methods of body "hardening" to deliver AND receive blows, it deals with standing grappling and, because the practioners realised that the typical methods of delivering strikes do NOT work AS WELL in-close as they do with "distance", the developed training drills to enhance "short distance" power in their strikes AND grappling moves ( standing grappling).