Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Martial Spirit

On a serious note,

I don't see why you cant practice some very basic techniques and ideas, continue practicing with several (semi) non-compliant partners until you have a decent grasp and can perform it in a spontaneous situation.

Like the teacher that almost tries to kill you just to make sure his teachings sunk in.

Then learn some more ideas, rinse and repeat.

As for martial spirit, I dont think it exists outside of life and death experiences, so giving the student the feeling that he needs to react or else he could be in danger might be a way to bring out 'martial spirit.'

I don't practice martial arts for as much as I should for martial purposes, but my definition of martial spirit is having the physical, emotional, and spiritual drive to do what is necessary to preserve your life.
    Last edited by Tao Of The Fist; 06-19-2012 at 09:52 PM.
    Although the changes are infinite, the principles are the same.
    - Wang Tsung Yueh

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.
    - Sun Tzu

Boards don't hit back.
    - Bruce Lee

Someone said it earlier but I'll repeat it.

Marine Corps Boot Camp.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    Someone said it earlier but I'll repeat it.

Marine Corps Boot Camp.
    Dehumanizing is an important effort in proper Chinese wude.

Martial Spirit is the spirit of finding solutions during hostile and stressful environments.

Fighting spirit is the relentless stubbornness to win.

If the guy is a granola, push hands can introduce him to the idea of balancing cognition with intuitive solutions while letting go of the constructs of success and failure.

titty sprinkles,
    Mike D.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dasargo View Post
    titty sprinkles
    We have come to expect illustrative photos accompanying such comments!

Well! That was underwhelming!!

Uh........what was I saying??

when he's motorboating?
    Its funny that you mention that because I met morgan freeman 15 years ago in trinidad. he regularly vacations there to get time away from his family...so i can tell you what he sounds like while motor boating :P it sounds like 'puff puff, cough cough, pass...'
    Last edited by Lucas; 06-21-2012 at 12:02 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I think you lads are confusing Martial Prowess with Martial Spirit! Spirit is a concept, a mind set, not a skill and this is taught through a combination of education and experience. No one is just born with martial spirit...although some of us are certainly born more aggressive than others.

A foundation of military classics in reading is certainly a good start: The Art of War, The book of 5 Rings, Musashi, War as I knew it, The Desert Fox,The Rogue Warrior guide to strategy and leadership (my personal favorite), etc...you could also add biographies of great warriors throughout history.

There are tons of cheesy films to choose from: Rudy, Karate Kid, Gladiator, Braveheart, Twilight Samurai, The 300, Shaw Bros films, etc...

Then the application of Martial Spirit: Competitive training in a fun setting like paint ball, contact sports Rugby, Football, etc. Mix in challenging physical training...pushing the student past the comfort zone, obstacle courses, mud runs, bag work and add some sparring, weapons training...either modern or older. I think a great place to start might be Krav Maga classes.

The key is to get the person thinking, acting in ways to succeed, in a physical or martial way. Learn from there experiences...build confidence and review past failures...you will never learn more than you can from failure.

I rest my case.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptpzi...hannel&list=UL

Just to put a voice to the meme...
    Although the changes are infinite, the principles are the same.
    - Wang Tsung Yueh

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.
    - Sun Tzu

Boards don't hit back.
    - Bruce Lee

Martial spirit is what some coaches like to call "heart".
    Remember Rocky talking to his kid about boxing?
    When he told him that sometimes you are in the ring and you are getting a beating and you wish the other guy would just KO you but then there is a voice that says, "one more round"...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

"for ten years i polished this sword, now i ask you, who needs my help"? tang dynasty swordsman poem

martial spirit is how you act, what you do and feel during a fight. without fighting, you will never know if you have martial spirit.
    Last edited by bawang; 06-21-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    "for ten years i polished this sword, now i ask you, who needs my help"? tang dynasty swordsman poem

martial spirit is how you act, what you do and feel during a fight. without fighting, you will never know if you have martial spirit.
    On another level, if you don't get beat and don't get back up again then you have failed to develop martial spirit.
    Kung Fu is good for you.