Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pui Chan: Kung Fu Pioneer - a documentary by Mimi Chan

Exclamation Pui Chan: Kung Fu Pioneer - a documentary by Mimi Chan

Hope you support our brothers and sisters who put all of their efforts to put up a movie regarding what we love most..

New documentary announcement! A biography on the life of World renowned grandmaster Pui Chan.

Step into the extraordinary life of a Chinese immigrant who overcame the challenges to achieve the American dream. This biography follows the path of a young boy who learns the value of hard work and perseverance through kung fu training. He escapes the harshness of political oppression, bravely ventures out on his own, and embraces opportunity in a new land.

The now highly recognized Grandmaster Pui Chan is one of the pioneers responsible for bringing traditional kung fu to America. He built the first kung fu temple in America, and leads an internationally renowned martial arts system across the world.

Pui's eldest daughter and successor Mimi Chan confronts a new set of challenges, trying to keep the traditional values alive in an increasingly modernized era.

If this sounds interesting please visit, www.Facebook.com/puichankungfupioneer and www.wahlum.com/kungfumovie

Where will we be able to see it?
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Good luck with this project and I hope it is a big success! I still find Chan Pui a fascinating man!
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

I believe it is still a work in progress. I'm waiting to hear back on more details.

Nice teaser on FB!
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

sounds interesting, look forward to seeing it!

we really need more documentaries on tanglang

While NOT a fan of overly-acrobatic kung fu, one can't deny GM Pui Chan's skill.
    Nice trailer.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

From the tournament

When I was talking to Ms Chan at the 20th anniversary celebration, she said she had just finished the film.

Trailer

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Greetings,

I just love that vintage photo of GM Chan!!

mickey

awesome to see this, cant wait, I had the pleasure of meetign him many moons ago on goldenrod road while I was in orlando, what a gentleman.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

I saw this at their anniversary gathering but I don't think it was the movie that will come out as I think they have filmed and added some new stuff. What we watched was very interesting...nice old school stuff.

Wah Lum Kung Fu's 18th anniversary celebration

There's some pix if you follow the link.
    Martial arts legend honored at World's Fair Park event
    By Mike Blackerby
    Posted July 7, 2012 at 10:37 p.m.

Mimi Chan began her martial arts training at the age of 3 under the guidance of her father.

Little did she realize, she was learning from a master.

Wah Lum Kung Fu's 18th anniversary celebration

Fists and feet of fury were flying Saturday night at the World's Fair Park Amphitheater.

The Wah Lum Kung Fu & Tai Chi of Knoxville, in celebration of its 18th-year anniversary, served as host to a dazzling display of martial artistry.

Mimi Chan's father, 74-year-old Grandmaster Pui Chan, was special guest at the colorful and tradition-steeped anniversary event, which drew an audience of more than 200 people.

Dozens of Chan's students, including Wah Lum of Knoxville founder and Sifu (teacher) Leroy Kautz, were on hand to honor Chan and participate in the event.

Master Chan, who was born in China, is considered a pioneer in introducing traditional Kung Fu to America.

Grandmaster Pui Chan waits for festivities to start before a demonstration of Wah Lum Kung Fu's 18th anniversary celebration. (Photo by Wade Payne, Special to the News Sentinel)

Mimi Chan, now a 33-year-old Sifu who was chosen as the model and martial arts video reference for Disney's feature animation, Mulan, said it took her awhile to appreciate her father's stature.

"I started training when I was 3 because I knew nothing different," said Mimi Chan.

"When I was little, I didn't realize it was such an opportunity."

She eventually learned about her father's well-deserved reputation.

Master Chan is the Sixth generation Wah Lum successor of the Wah Lum Northern Mantis System, and is also a 33rd generation successor of the famed Shaolin Temple.

Master Chan introduced the Wah Lum System to the United States in 1970 and is the founder of the Wah Lum Kung Fu Temple in Orlando, Fla.

He has given many demonstrations worldwide and has appeared in many TV programs including the Discovery Channel, ESPN and pay-per-view. He is listed as one of the most influential Martial Artists by Inside Kung Fu magazine.

Master Chan also was inducted in the Black Belt's Hall of Fame.

Kung Fu students and Sifus from several states were also on hand to participate in Saturday's celebration and watch demonstrations in traditional Kung Fu, Tai Chi Chuan, weaponry and sparring.

Kautz put his Wah Lum forms and weapons demo teams through the paces. The Wah Lum students also demonstrated traditional lion and dragon dancing.

There was a special performance by the Tennessee Children's dance ensemble with their Fusion Art.

But most important, Kautz, who began studying under Master Chan in 1987, said it was an opportunity to recognize a true legend in martial arts.

"It's very rare to see a grandmaster (of Master Chan's level) in our branch," said Kautz.

"There are just a handful of them in the U.S. — you could put them in one room."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    awesome to see this, cant wait, I had the pleasure of meetign him many moons ago on goldenrod road while I was in orlando, what a gentleman.
    absolutely, without question, a true gentleman and a credit to his lineage!

do not ever, ever, let him drive you anywhere

History of Shandong Wah Lam style written by Chan's senior classmate in the 80s