Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Solstice celebrations?

Solstice celebrations?

Happy summer solstice!

Does anyone else celebrate these things?

Here in Alaska it's a big deal for some. Friends of mine put on an all-night party with bonfires, improvisational drumming (on drums made from hollow cottonwood logs with moosehide stretched over the top) and, of course lots of food and drink. If you spill some of your drink you just call it a libation to Frigg or Woden and carry on--I guess we're a fairly heathen lot.

On my last visit to San Diego during a solstice I was surprised to learn that no one I met knew of any celebration. But it made sense--they have a lot of sunlight already.

It's different here. We put black plastic over bedroom windows so we can get some sleep while the kids play out in the street at midnight. But we know it will soon be gone...

Personally, I like the dark of winter. My wife doesn't. She always thinks about moving south to "America" by April. In June she doesn't know why anyone would want to live anywhere else.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

its interesting that you mention bonfires. many of the northern 'euro' cultures, danes, finnish, norse, celt, etc. celebrate the summer solstice with bonfires (and of course drink and food) to ward off the spirits of winter that are free to wander the land during the times of little sun. its just neat to see the way old traditions still effect our modern ways of doing things.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

You might have found a small celebration in San Diego's Balboa Park area, its just generally recognized here for its longest day of the year as apposed to old pagan rituals. Sunshine is in full abundance.

Last year I was stopped by the authorities for attempting to sacrifice a Christian child to Odin. I was sooo close.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    You might have found a small celebration in San Diego's Balboa Park area, its just generally recognized here for its longest day of the year as apposed to old pagan rituals. Sunshine is in full abundance.

Last year I was stopped by the authorities for attempting to sacrifice a Christian child to Odin. I was sooo close.
    fuggin cops! dude i finished reading the last of the saxon series....now i need a hammer amulet.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Ah, the summer solstice...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    its interesting that you mention bonfires. many of the northern 'euro' cultures, danes, finnish, norse, celt, etc. celebrate the summer solstice with bonfires (and of course drink and food) to ward off the spirits of winter that are free to wander the land during the times of little sun. its just neat to see the way old traditions still effect our modern ways of doing things.
    An Estonian friend tells me they still do the fires in some places. I believe it's now associated with the feast of St. John or somesuch dignitary. Brits and Germans still have quite a bit of fun with the fires and rolling, burning bundles of hay. Actually it's all still there, from Christmas candles to the Easter hare. Can't say I would ever approve human sacrifice--it's already been done, although I would hate to discourage Hebrew Hammer in his efforts. Even that has survived in the institution of the hanging sentence for condemned criminals that obtains in some states. The globe newel posts or lamps that traditionally were displayed in front of police stations were a sign of capital powers--a continuation of the old "Celtic" head cult (they used to represent human heads). My friends who hold the solstice party every year parade a moose skull on a stick--a survival of the old hobbyhorse ritual. If you've ever seen the ritual of "groundbreaking" for a new structure, that's as old as it gets and the spade becomes a religious instrument to take command of the soil in the area. Let's see, ship's "christenings"...what else?
    Last edited by jdhowland; 06-20-2012 at 02:40 PM.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Ah, the summer solstice...
    You found Freya! She's even wearing the traditional string garment.

Thanks for the reminder

Tonight, I'm going to practice. Then I'm going home, having dinner and taking a shower. I'll do some sun worshiping this weekend, but for the actual day of, all I'm doing is posting here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I sacrificed a goat to Baal, then I did a virgin while drinking wine and pouring it all over ourselves in the midst of our animistic communion.

But really, that's a regular saturday night. i just bumped it up for the special sun party.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I sacrificed a goat to Baal, then I did a virgin while drinking wine and pouring it all over ourselves in the midst of our animistic communion.

But really, that's a regular saturday night. i just bumped it up for the special sun party.
    Where the heck did you find a virgin ???

Practice suuuuuuuuuuuuucked

I still haven't quite recovered from KFTC20. Mei you qi. It was friggin hot. I was struggling to make it, but at least I showed up. At least I got through it.

I woke up this morning to a nasty leg cramp in my left calf. I guess I depleted my electrolytes. I should have been drinking a sports drink instead of just water.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Where the heck did you find a virgin ???
    I had to clone one from the bones of an ancient.

It was that or fly in a one eyed, wooden legged girl from peru. That was a bit sketchy though...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I still haven't quite recovered from KFTC20. Mei you qi. It was friggin hot. I was struggling to make it, but at least I showed up. At least I got through it.

I woke up this morning to a nasty leg cramp in my left calf. I guess I depleted my electrolytes. I should have been drinking a sports drink instead of just water.
    Thats what you get for not sacrificing to the true gods!

I did sacrifice!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Thats what you get for not sacrificing to the true gods!
    I sacrificed my evening and a gallon of sweat.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips