Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tibetan White Crane

[QUOTE=sanjuro_ronin;1174802]Very much so, going from "big to small" really develops the engine much better than diving it at "small".
    I am sure some can make it work from the start of course.
    The commonality of many southern systems is that, start big and end small.QUOTE]

I agree. It's hard to imagine doing it the other way. Imagine the difficulties spending years on, say, a short Hakka system and then trying to loosen up for longfist. TWC is well organized as a teaching method and first develops gross motor skills which can be used under pressure.

I recall one person mentioning that he believed that the southern short hand systems are all just "expressions" of an original long hand one.
    Interesting. Wondered about that myself. It would explain why systems of supposedly northern origin do not resemble what remains in the homeland.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

90% of the people who can hit for sh1t in a short ranged system trained a power base in a long range system.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I've seen some TWC that is "tyical" long range stuff ( kicks with both arms out for balance, lots of "CLF" type long looping strikes, etc) BUT have also seen LR/LP stuff that was as inclose as SPM.
    (Bold type added by me)

Thought this might be worth a comment.

The oft-noted arms out while kicking seen in TWC is a training method and does not reflect the fighting technique. I would say that it's not even for balance (although one of my teachers said exactly that). Our kicking drills are often done with the arms outstretched to the sides for the duration of the drills and often with weights, though Master Fong preferred using grip exercisers to train a tight fist. Shoulder strength is important in this system due to the emphasis on keeping the hands up and away from the body during a fight.

Along with endurance training the method also adds inertia to the upper body so it doesn't move at the same time as the waist and legs. It becomes an isolation exercise that creates awareness of the lower trunk--the "golden girdle" or central power source.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

i respect hap kuen, but its rediculous to call it a tibetan martial art. also, please cut it with the stereotypical "rebel hero" bs.
    Last edited by bawang; 06-30-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i respect hap kuen, but its rediculous to call it a tibetan martial art. also, please cut it with the stereotypical "rebel hero" bs.
    Ridiculous why? Mind to elaborate in more details?

because it is not a tibetan martial art.

what's wrong with rebel heroes?

because it is not a tibetan martial art.
    yeah, thanks a lot I got it already you were of that opinion, I would be interested though to know if you have a specific reason to say so (.i.e. you have some sort of proof or you have seen some document or what?)

the traditional tibetan martial arts of archery and wrestling are alive and well in tibet, and traditional culture in tibet is also continous and well preserved, with no "lost history".

more importantly, chinese martial arts with legitimate ties to lamas all practice spirit possession, called the great spirit jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Gru Bianca View Post
    yeah, thanks a lot I got it already you were of that opinion, I would be interested though to know if you have a specific reason to say so (.i.e. you have some sort of proof or you have seen some document or what?)
    It would be like Brazilian jiujitsu, or Russian kung fu, or Haitian karate.
    Jackie Lee

If I am not mistaken..Lama Pai is related to the "Hop Ga" system..

In the only fighting competition I've been in, a Kyokushin Karate tournament, I was knocked out (unable to continue) from a good hard body shot. I also love body shot knockouts in boxing. I think there is a compilation on a tube website.

Anyone care to comment on developing chyuhn / penetration?

the traditional tibetan martial arts of archery and wrestling are alive and well in tibet, and traditional culture in tibet is also continous and well preserved, with no "lost history".

more importantly, chinese martial arts with legitimate ties to lamas all practice spirit possession, called the great spirit jump.
    Thanks for your feedback, still you have not fully replied my question; what are your sources?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Miles View Post
    I have sworn brothers in Tibet. Never heard of Lama Pai.

They can do cowboy horse tricks because until not very long ago Tibetans were still raiding in Sichuan.

People still carry swords in remote areas. The only martial art you can see is military san da.

Nothing definitive, just another perspective.
    I am not surprised they have never heard of Lama Pai, Lama Pai is not the original name of the system

Quote Originally Posted by Gru Bianca View Post
    Thanks for your feedback, still you have not fully replied my question; what are your sources?

Thanks
    it comes from oral history of martial arts in jiangsu province my hometown. during the boxing rebellion lamas introduced spirit possession to produce quick results.
    chinese use qigong and taoist magic, tibetans, mongols and manchu use spirit possession.

other than archery and wrestling, some tibetans practiced chinese martial arts. their form and concepts dont differ, we have very close cultural ties. its the teaching of spirit possession that is a giveaway of tibetan and mongol influence. mongols invite animal spirits, tibetans invite buddhist demon princes.

for written documents, one of the republican era shaolin monks wrote about the prevalence of tibetan monks in the boxer rebellion

secondary reasons include:

chinese wrestling with manchu influence use mongol and manchu terms. if you had tibetan influence you would at least have some basic words, like punch or kick.

hap kuen looks exactly like northern martial arts.

hap kuen looks nothing like sichuan and qinghai martial arts.

hap kuen is gangster kung fu. gangsters make a lot of things up.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-04-2012 at 11:20 AM.