Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tibetan White Crane

Might be worth noting that the system is officially titled Bak Hok Pai. "Tibetan" is not really part of the name but is often added to distinguish it from southern white crane arts.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    ...tibetans invite buddhist demon princes.
    We have Vajrapani in common with Shaolin.

hap kuen is gangster kung fu. gangsters make a lot of things up.
    Hah!

Agreed
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

origin myths

The "Lion's Roar" tradition has an origin myth that is strikingly similar to Hung Mun/Triad myths. Other elements are common to many Chinese systems.

1. A sage/martial genius has a revelatory experience in which he is inspired by a totemic animal to create a fighting system. This happens during a Han golden age (middle of the Ming Dynasty).

2. His system becomes cloistered within a monastery and is developed by monks for several generations.

3. The system leaves its monastic home and becomes associated with a royal family (Qing).

4. A master of the system chooses four disciples to travel with him. Stories link him with great events in local history and folklore. The four disciples are dispersed to wander and teach, never to be heard from again.

5. The master (Sage Dragon--perhaps a Dragon Head?) finds a new home and chooses his last group of disciples to learn all of his fighting skills and advanced medical techniques.

6. The master dies and the five door-closing disciples become the gentlemen warriors, associated with the knights errant of old and form patriotic societies. They inspire youths to become strong and serve the public with their medical clinics. Other business need not be brought up here.
    Last edited by jdhowland; 07-13-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Hakk Kuen also uses spirit possession, or sun-dar.
    So does that funky Vietnamese school I see at tournaments sometimes....

I channel in my Uncle Moe sometimes when grappling. He had a great bearhug in his day.
    Problem is, when he got older, he needed adult diapers...you don't want to channel in the old Uncle Moe....
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post

I channel in my Uncle Moe sometimes when grappling. He had a great bearhug in his day.
    Problem is, when he got older, he needed adult diapers...you don't want to channel in the old Uncle Moe....
    Depends on whether he had a violent streak. If he was a gentle soul, leave him at rest. If he got grumpy...well, a big, grumpy, smelly old man is a perfect choice. No one wants to touch him.

Spirit/demon channeling is still pretty common in the south. White Crane uses buddhist symbolism but the problem with a supposedly monastic origin is that Vajrayana schools all begin with practicing compassion. Demonic identification is used as a vehicle for tantric practices only after acknowledging that all tantric work must depend on the ideal of compassion and it requires years of practice. Outside the monastic communities its a different story. Any independent yogi may invite possession by whatever being he chooses.

btw: Vajrapani is an emmanation of Indra. The Indo-European source that gives us Indra and Ching Kang also became the thunder god in the west. Hence, Vajrapani = Thor/Thunaer/Donner. Imagine an angry Thor weilding thunderbolt/hammer with bristling beard and blazing red eyes and you have a pretty image to use for inspiration. The Thais have this guy too; I forget what they call him.

Another demon god used in Tibetan tantric ritual is Heruka=Rig=Heimdal. Hard to imagine the berserkers didn't channel these guys. Drugs alone won't do it.
    Last edited by jdhowland; 07-13-2012 at 08:57 AM.

Just found these videos. Anyone know Sifu Ruhu Zhu? As I understood, Chan Tai San was from Toisan, and Lei Fei San is also either there or nearby, I'm not sure.

Toisan White Crane:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ToisanWC/videos

Having learned a little and seen a lot more I can say that is not CTS lama pai .
    First smooth,then fast.
    Smooth is fast.

I mentioned CTS only because I found it interesting that Toisan would have both Lama and TWC traditions going on. If anyone is intersted, I found this info:

http://www.whitecrane.ws/about-white...u/lineage.html

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/....php?p=1011250

Can anyone say whether Lei Fei San is teaching in Toisan? Why does the area have such a strong Lama/TWC tradition?

Quote Originally Posted by yeshe View Post
    Having learned a little and seen a lot more I can say that is not CTS lama pai .
    definitely not - Sifu's stuff had certain signatures to it that were reflective of his combination of the Lama and CLF that he learned;

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post

Dude...you owe me a keyboard!

Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by madhusudan View Post
    Just found these videos. Anyone know Sifu Ruhu Zhu? As I understood, Chan Tai San was from Toisan, and Lei Fei San is also either there or nearby, I'm not sure.

Toisan White Crane:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ToisanWC/videos
    Toisan district is huge with millions and millions of people.

It's not hard to find completely disparate styles of TCMA coming from people who come from there. Or are there now.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Toisan district is huge with millions and millions of people.

It's not hard to find completely disparate styles of TCMA coming from people who come from there. Or are there now.
    True. Lots of White Crane people from there, including Tse Cheuk Tong. He was, as far as I know, the first person to bring White Crane and Hop Ga to the U.S. in 1963.

Pak Hok short bridges

Off the top of my head here's a list of some of the White Crane short hands:

Elbows--lots of these. The upper bau jang and downward strike to the collarbone are probably the most useful.

Jin cheui--short jab.

Pek cheui--chop, often done with the ulnar side of the wrist rather than a hammerfist.

Nau sau--grab.

Chin kiu--a trapping hand.

Jaap kiu--obstructing hand.

Kam sau--smothering/pressing with forearm.

Da cheui--short backfist.

Seung lung sau--double dragon hands, an inward elbow wrench.

Hok tauh--crane head strike with the back of wrist. The same hand shape is used for wrist hooks, also frequently trained in the system.

Jaau--monkey hand "claw" for seizing veins, nerves and muscles.

Pak sau--slaps using palm or back of hand.

Fung ngan cheui--phoenix eye strike.

Chaau cheui--hook punch.

Pok yihk--"wing beat," a short hand when used as a backfist groin strike.

Seh ying or snake shaped fist--like a panther fist but with the wrist bent outwards to strike around an obstructing arm, or bent downward to strike points on the arm.

New info to me:

"Originally known as Heyang Quan or Crane/Yang Fist; the “yang” is taken from the name of the place “HuiYang” where this system was centered."

http://eric88ling.wordpress.com/2009...-hap-gar-kuen/

The quote is in reference to Hap Gar. Huiyang appears to be an area near Hong Kong on the mainland. Can anyone confirm or deny the above, especially the name Heyang? I'm curious.

heyang quan means hard crane. its a fujian short hand style.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC