Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Tibetan White Crane

I also have two more books coming, hopefully. The library here is having trouble locating them and informed me it may take up to 3 months. Those books are:

Lama Quan Pai: El Kung Fu de los Monjes Guererros del Tibet "bases y fundamentos"
    -Alcántara Castilla, Fermín

Lama Pai Kung Fu
    - Prat, José María

Has anyone read either of those?

I'm just getting back in shape and starting my training again after some lost years. Glad to see Lama/Hop Gar/TWC info becoming a little more available. I'm gonna train hard for a year on my own with what I remember in order to justify to myself flying somewhere to train with someone. Maybe Vancouver, maybe Las Vegas, there's Hop Gar in the Georgia & N. Carolina, I think there's also Lama in Chicago, I found something in SoCal and that's just the Lama/Hop Gar. Where else? Maybe I'll make a vacation out of it. I've heard the wife mention Vancouver & Vegas, so it would be easier to get there without a battle.

=madhusudan;1183331Lama Quan Pai: El Kung Fu de los Monjes Guererros del Tibet "bases y fundamentos"
    -Alcántara Castilla, Fermín

Lama Pai Kung Fu
    - Prat, José María

Has anyone read either of those?
    I have not. Sifu Carlo Tonti has also written a book on the system. I tried to order it from Europe but apparently they were unable to do overseas orders.

I'm just getting back in shape and starting my training again after some lost years. Glad to see Lama/Hop Gar/TWC info becoming a little more available. I'm gonna train hard for a year on my own with what I remember in order to justify to myself flying somewhere to train with someone. Maybe Vancouver, maybe Las Vegas, there's Hop Gar in the Georgia & N. Carolina, I think there's also Lama in Chicago, I found something in SoCal and that's just the Lama/Hop Gar. Where else? Maybe I'll make a vacation out of it. I've heard the wife mention Vancouver & Vegas, so it would be easier to get there without a battle.
    Do you mind if I ask who you trained with? Some of the teachers are hard to find but there is an informal network of "lama" stylists who tend to be pretty friendly and interested in making contacts. British Columbia and Alberta have more options than most places outside of Hong Kong.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    I have not. Sifu Carlo Tonti has also written a book on the system. I tried to order it from Europe but apparently they were unable to do overseas orders.
    Oh..John, you know about that book? I didn't know you were interested in it but if you are perhaps I could help you with that, I think I might have an extra copy of which I need to check the language .

It's not gonna be very conversational as it's mainly pictures introducing the Lao Xing Kune and it's applications....

Let me know.

Ciao

PS: would it be possible for you to send me photocopies of that Lama Pai Quan ji?

Thanks
    Last edited by Gru Bianca; 08-15-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Hi jd,

Over the short time I trained, I learned the Lama basics, a few forms, palms and elbows and other stuff from Ross and Ventura in NYC when they were both still teaching Lama Pai classes. That was over a decade ago. I doubt they'd remember me, as I was just another student passing through, and not a particularly gifted one at that. I ended up leaving NY for other adventures, but had been bitten by the Lion's Roar bug. Despite training in other arts since then, I've always considered myself a Lama practitioner. As I've recently begun to come to terms with mortality and getting a little older, I've decided to pursue my interests and passions with greater urgency. We only have this one life, so by the end of it I want to be fairly sure I spent my time well. In a nutshell, as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by Gru Bianca View Post
    ...would it be possible for you to send me photocopies of that Lama Pai Quan ji?

Thanks
    Of course. I'll try to dig it up for you. I had forgot that I even had it until I saw the link madhusudan posted. I think I found it in a Chinese book store in Honolulu around 1980.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by madhusudan View Post
    ...Despite training in other arts since then, I've always considered myself a Lama practitioner. As I've recently begun to come to terms with mortality and getting a little older, I've decided to pursue my interests and passions with greater urgency. We only have this one life, so by the end of it I want to be fairly sure I spent my time well. In a nutshell, as it were.
    I think I know what you mean. I turned 58 a couple of months ago and there is still so much I would like to learn.

Best of luck in your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gru Bianca View Post

PS: would it be possible for you to send me photocopies of that Lama Pai Quan ji?
    Found it. I'll make photocopies.

[QUOTE=madhusudan;1177194. Anyone care to comment on developing chyuhn / penetration?[/QUOTE]

Chyun is the agressive counterpart to sim/evasion. It is about attacking into an attack while your opponent is committed to a strike and landing a blow before he can alter his position. Ideally, there should be no blocking/parrying of your opponent's strike but there is often a grazing contact and slight deflection with your own strike, a "needle piercing cotton." This can only be done when there is skill with the sim aspect.

To begin training this practice with a partner who gets to hit you whenever he wishes. Try to pivot and slip the blows but don't strike back. Just practice looking for openings. To a limited degree you can practice looking for openings in your own image reflected from a full length mirror.

The power for chyun comes from che sahn and heavy bag work.

Master Zhu

Just found these videos. Anyone know Sifu Ruhu Zhu? As I understood, Chan Tai San was from Toisan, and Lei Fei San is also either there or nearby, I'm not sure.

Toisan White Crane:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ToisanWC/videos
    Hi i am a student of this style! Master Ruhu Zhu was my Sigung. He had past away 3 years ago from a sudden illness. His background was immense. He had studied Hung gar, Choy lee fut and many other styles. Only once becoming a high level Choy lee fut practitioner he was chosen to learn Toisan White Crane. His Sifu Yuen Tak Wen had learned the system from monk Chen Tin Leung.

We have 3 main fists- By utilizing proper body alignment, shifting of weight and twisting of the waist. These aspects of form are essential in generating power in punches as they compliment one another

Chuin- is a piercing strike with emphasis on punching through the target. This strike may be executed via open palm, closed fist or fingers. Targets may include the eyes, throat and other points on the body.

Pow is similar to an uppercut. The fist is closed and swings in an upward arc (palm up) This fist is useful for breaking the bridge of an opponent. Targets can include elbows, hands, legs or anything else that is presented by an opponent. Pow has many variations.

Kahp is similar to Pow but swings in a downward arc over the shoulder similar to the mechanics of throwing a baseball. Both techniques greatly compliment each other and are interchangeable. That is, Pow may be thrown and immediately reversed into Cup or vice versa. There are several variations of Kahp.

Here is our schools website- www.whitecrane.ws

In the only fighting competition I've been in, a Kyokushin Karate tournament, I was knocked out (unable to continue) from a good hard body shot. I also love body shot knockouts in boxing. I think there is a compilation on a tube website.

Anyone care to comment on developing chyuhn / penetration?
    You must first train the waist to disconnect from upper body. Think of a whip and how it moves. The power is generated from the root. Basic practice in the first stage is waist turns with the hands out at the side like a " T " if you will. Second stage is sitting in crane stance and shifting back and forth in the stance with hands like the first stage. Third stage we learn to use the hands. The hands start like the " T"
    but the front hand crosses over and the back hand shoots under to strike. The power is like a pully system. Once the hand comes back the other one is moving forward. This is done in connection with the waist turning to create the punch. When the waist turns the hand shoots out. The waist sort of pushes the hand out so by driving up from the root it explodes out. It is soft until contact then hard when making the impact then soft again. like a whip. The style i practice is Toisan white crane under the lineage of Ruhu Zhu.

Ruhu Zhu people

My question got lost in this thread. Is your White Crane descended from Ng Siu Chung? In other words, your terms and style looks like it could be a line of what is known as Tibetan White Crane.