Thread: Reputable Kung Fu in Worcester, MA area?

Reputable Kung Fu in Worcester, MA area?

Hey guys, I am very new to Kung Fu and am currently looking for a place to begin study. I am located in the Worcester, MA area...can anyone recommend me a good teacher in the area?

I am currently considering a couple places nearby, does anyone have any experience/opinions on either one?

-Family Kung Fu Centers (www.familykungfucenters.com) - Master Stan Tabor - Taiji Meihua Tang Lang Quan (Taiji Plum Blossom Praying Mantis Boxing)

-Maury's Kung Fu (www.shaolinkungfucenters.com) - Sigung Joe Maury - Hua Quan (Glorious/Magnificent Boxing)

Can anyone vouch for either of these places? Are these instructors of quality? I just want to avoid the mcdojos!

Much appreciated, thanks!

I teach in Boston, if you want to drive out on a Sunday as I have class from 10AM-12PM

If you cannot get into Boston, I would check out Stan Tabor, He was a Wah Lum teacher for years before he left Chan Poi. Stan has some great skills.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Hi, I saw your thread and felt that someone should vouch for the Shaolin Kung Fu Centers, formerly Maury's Kung Fu Academy, in Worcester MA. If you looking for Kung Fu, then a traditional long fist style such as Hua Quan (Glorious Boxing) is a good choice.
    I began my training in 2009 with Dr. Aihan Kuhn at New England School of Tai Chi, learning different Qigong sets, the Bejieng 24 step form (Yang 24), some push hands and tai ji sword, and other forms such as Hun yuan chen tai chi, created from one of Dr. Kuhn's teachers the famous Grandmaster Feng Zhi Qiang.
    In spring 2010, a branch of the Shaolin Kung Fu Centers began renting space from Dr. Kuhn to train their Hua Quan (Glorious Boxing), and I was onboard and signed on as a student. The Worcester school meets up at least 3 X's/ week. The Worcester instructor, Sifu Gary, works well with kids and adults, has a positive personality, and there should be some sihing's / sije's on the floor training beside you as well. Daily training at home of any sort is also very important. We are also now training in Westboro, MA. also under Sifu Gary.
    So am I glad I decided to take up the Hua Quan training? Absolutely! It has helped my skill one-thousand fold training in the CMA, from stance work to working techniques in sets during sparring/ moving around, kicking/ striking, and taking myself to new heights. I look forward to continuing my training in this style. Master Maury's Hua Quan teacher was a Master Chen Hei Fuk, who taught privately in NYC, and through Master Chen's father the art goes back to Cai Guigin, famous martial artist from Shandong province and also the father of the famous Cai Longyun. Northern Longfist styles such as Hua Quan have deep roots in Chinese history and are consdiered to be a "mother" of many other branches of CMA with a vast curriculum of techniques and forms- Hua Quan (Glorious Boxing) for instance was said to have 48 hand sets in total (GM Cai Longyun published manuals on the 1st 4 roads, some of the advanced sets) making it almost like an old Choi Lee Fut style, if that makes any sense.
    If you stick with the training it will address fundamental basics, forms, technique, internal training, sparring, development, "touch hands", weapons, etc etc. The training is what YOU make of it, as I have been learning, thru one's daily practice, showing up to class, etc. If you are in Worcester, or Westboro it's a great group of people and a wonderful/ knowledgable Sifu.
    -Matt.
    Last edited by MarathonTmatt; 05-16-2014 at 08:49 PM. Reason: more to the point

Family Kung Fu Centers

I can vouch for Family Kung Fu. I've been going there for over 12 years and I can not see myself going anywhere else.
    The Praying Mantis is Taiji Meihua and has good lineage through both Master Sun DeYao and Zhang Bing Dou. Mr. Tabor teachers in a manner that is easy to pick up and understand, with a focus on understanding the applications for self defense.
    If you're interested in the Taiji, Mr. Tabor is a disciple of Master Liu Chengde in Hong Family Chen Taiji. The Chen Taiji is amazing, for health or self defense. It's completely different than Yang Style taiji if you have any familiarity with that style.

I could go on and on, since the school is a second home to me, but if you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

Your best bet though, is to go to each school and ask to check it out. Observe the classes and talk to the instructors and assistants, and see which place is a better fit for you.

Cheers,
    Josh
    Last edited by iunojupiter; 04-25-2013 at 10:34 AM. Reason: grammar

Blog Entries
    Hi iunojupiter,

Excuse me for butting in but I enjoyed your description of your school and practices.

Reason i'm asking is that I have friends in Springfield and in Boston ( I live in S.E. CT) and I have taken the route via 395 to I90 occasionally. It would be nice to see and make new friends in Taiji sometime.

BTW, I was wondering if you guys are celebrating World Tai Chi Day up in your area?

I did a quick google directions query and if your bored this Sat April 27th...we hold a large event in Colchester, CT... right on rte 85 (main street) "The Town Green" . According to Google it would only be 71.4 miles, ~ 1hour 10 mins. Not that bad, you're welcome to swing by.

Best,
    "O"
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

Hi Songa,

If you're willing to commute to Springfield (about 45 minutes from Worcester), then IMO this is the place to go: http://shaolinkungfucenter.net/
    My teacher has several students with previous black belts from the Massachusetts Wah Lum branch offs.