Thread: Does anyone know what this form is?

Does anyone know what this form is?

Why does it look so different from the normal Guan Dong form?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=8BF0kSBN4Lg

If possible, I would like to find out how old it is, who created it, and under what conditions.

Thanks!
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

It could also be from a different Guandong style, from a different place, and a different era too. It does not actually look all that related to the one everyone knows. Lots of different sets, from different styles have the same names.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by SHemmati View Post
    This is the only GuanDong form I've seen:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJhC...ure=plpp_video
    This is the one everyone knows for sure. I have heard this one is fairly new, but I don't know for sure.

The other one, however, I have no info on at all. It could be a mislabled video for all I know.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Blog Entries
    "Guan Dong" means east of "Shan Hai Guan - Great Wall begins at the Bohai Sea" which mean manchu. It has nothing to do with the Shaolin temple which is in the Henan province.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmhUbY_VyPE
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-21-2012 at 08:00 PM.

That video series has a great many folk masters demonstrating all kinds of lesser known Shaolin forms. They are cool to watch once, but not worth the price (45-65 RMB per disk). I bought one before as a kind of souvenir, but there is only 5 to 10 minutes of actual material on the disks. Alternatively, you can download some of them on youku. Some of the taolu are mislabled and many of the cooler ones have been marked.

Though the name may not have anything to do with Shaolin, the taolu itself clearly does.

I can definitely see the movements out of the Dahongquan in your clip, RD.

Hey Team,

GuanDongQuan is a name that appears in forms all over China.

You will all find that the name of Shaolin Forms closely mimic the names of ShaanXi Hong Quan forms (Hong as in 'Red' as opposes to Shaolins HOng as in 'Immense'), which also contain Guandong and Guanxi fists. It is a reference to some ancient battle.

I have seen 3 different Guandong Fists and 1 Guanxi fist while in Dengfeng.

I can't watch the videos because I still can't get any proxies to work for me in Dengfeng, But I know the series you are referring to.

It contains two wildly different Guandong fists. One is done buy a guy with a beard wearing yellow and is a long form, the other buy a beardless guy in black and is short.

The long one (yellow) is the remenant of Guandong Quan from the Mogou Pai and as such is related to the Tagou versions of ChangHuXinYiMen and QiXingQuan. it is Xiyuan GuanDong Quan.

The other (Black) is from the Nanyuan Pai and as such uses the claw a lot. It is Nanyaun Guandong quan. It is short and contians just a few techniques with a basis in Nanyuan Xiao HOng Quan.

BOth forms are related to the Hong Quan of their various sects.